About 4 months into CX-5 ownership, just some thoughts

watermelon

:
cx5
What a pleasant surprise:
- wing mirrors defrost
- the audio volume control is much more subtle (than the Mazda 3) with small volume changes between each 'indent'
-My GT hit empty at 450km. My CX hits 3/4 empty at 450km. In a larger, heavier car with just as much kick up top. I'm laughing.
- Clutch throw and engagement - it's great. Light, smooth, easy and predictable.

What do I love about it:
- The manual shifter. While not as short in throw as a Miata or BRZ, it's clean, precise, smooth, fun! Doesn't feel like crap like the mazda 3 (thank you mazda for finally replacing the old stick in a bucket of rocks)
- Powerband: while gutless below 3k rpm, this engine is great above 3k. Doesn't feel week at all. I would characterize this as a split personality car which is fine with me. In the city when I'm just driving normally, I'm chill, but when I want to give 'er, the CX5 just a good as my old GT.
- Interior: Great materials, clean, feels and looks great.
- Handling: feels just like any other sporty car. Although you feel the car's increased weight heaving it at speed around corners, the car never feels heavy otherwise, and doesn't even look big. I often forget i'm sitting in something larger than a car (if only slightly).
- Blue interior lights. Thank you!

What I don't necessarily like but can live with:
- gutless below 3k. The new 2.5 will be a slight improvement which is great, but it won't be the ultimate solution. This high compression engine is tuned show it's colours in the top half of the rev range.
- Dash rattles. More like a buzz, and only in cold temps, as reported by others, not all the time either, and only notice it in passing anyways.
- wide gearing: here i'm more used to close ratio gear boxes, so would have appreciated it a bit more here. Honestly, Fifth is too high for the city more than half the time. But then again, this car is was developed to be a fuel mileage commuter SUV. So... no complaints.
- Rev hang - when depressing the clutch, I'd love for the engine to drop it's revs like they should.
-hill start auto assist - It's a good skill to develop in learning how to drive a manual with no rollback on a hill. This auto assist is so good it spoils you. I still use the proper technique to stay in practice, but i wish i could turn it off. But I do know and appreciate it's a brilliant system for most people

Only real complaint:
No leather wrapped steering wheel on any models that have a manual shifter. I also know this never happens on non-luxury cars in the first half of it's lifecycle, you gotta wait till the end for the accessories to trickle down. Still...

Any regrets?
Nope.

Nice write up. Any car that doesn't have negatives, most of us couldn't afford!

I share all of those sentiments, nice review.
I also wanted a leather wrapped steering wheel, maybe in a year or two I can find one from a crashed donor car.

I share all of those sentiments, nice review.
I also wanted a leather wrapped steering wheel, maybe in a year or two I can find one from a crashed donor car.

Anyone have, see or hear about the aftermarket ones from Leatherseats or Autoseatskins? Heck I'm willing to try those out and yeah it's DIY leather work but I really miss leather on the steering wheel...

I concur with the OP's review as well, though I'm not as experienced with a MT so the rev hang point wouldn't be something I'm familiar enough to discuss. And I kinda like the hill assist, though it would be good for one's technique to be able to manipulate the car under those conditions without the car doing that for you.

Last edited:
Good write-up, appreciate your perspective on a manual CX-5.

Back