a test for MSP owners to try

:
03 MSP > 03.5 MSP > 05 Evo8 GSR > 10 EvoX MR-t > 96 MX-5
has to do with weird sound coming from front wheels.

every time the car warms up....10-15 min of driving.....when taking long turns (under moderate to heavy load) at arround 20-30 mph, i hear this sound.
sounds like fftt, fftt, fftt, fftt, fftt fftt, fftt, fftt, fftt.......and so on, 3 times per second.

does it on both sides, right or left turn, but only one wheel at a time.
if u turn righ it doest it on the left front wheel, if u turn left it does it on the right.
so basically which ever wheel has the load it makes the noise.

so what i want u guys to do is when u're driving try to listen for that noise.
take a corner just a little bit faster than usual, put you windows down, and listen.
i want to know if there are other people out there that are experiencing the same thing i am.

my car is at 11,700 miles.

let me know.

thanks.

Last edited:
perhaps the lsd slipping? just took a drive and didnt notice that sound...also were the roads wet or dry? and is it a steady sound or does it change pace and such?

not LSD because no gas is applied when i turn.
just a free turn, no gas no break.

dry roads.

changes pace with speed........go faster, faster repetition of sound. go slower slower repetition.

almost like a rubbing sound, but more metallic in nature.
sound pulsates 2-3 times per second.
sounds like an old mattress spring, almost squicking.

my thinking is either brakes (but notice i dont break when i hear the sound) or the barings.

I had something similar when turning, but I don't notice it anymore. I think it has to do with brakes.

there are a few different rods that get dusty and coroded (not sure exact names) but if you take your wheel off and clean the grime off of the various connections and rods you see it'll quiet things down.

hmm if its a "pulsating" sound it has to be a rotating object hitting a non-rotating object...if its a metallic sound I would look at warped rotors or brake pads...if its a dull raspy sound I would say something hanging from the fender well...the outside shock on a turn will be the most compressed of the group, meaning the fenderwell will be the closest to the tire on the outside front tire where all the stress is, so something may be rubbing...are you lowered by any chance?

not lowered

i will inspect any rubbing spots tomorrow.....does not sound like it rubs though...

I just noticed something similar today.
I was taking a turn on freeway @ 65 ( yellow sign said 50). As soon as I entered the turn I heard a fairly loud high pitched squeeling sound. It stopped as soon as I exited the turn. My first thought was wheel bearing. Haven't had time to try it again.

I've had to get my wheel bearing replaced already. If it is the bearing, then the noise shouldn't really be noticable at high speeds. Only at low speeds will you hear it. That was the case with me at least.

BoOsTiN said:
I just noticed something similar today.
I was taking a turn on freeway @ 65 ( yellow sign said 50). As soon as I entered the turn I heard a fairly loud high pitched squeeling sound. It stopped as soon as I exited the turn. My first thought was wheel bearing. Haven't had time to try it again.
that was probably your tires starting to slide=)

dr.sound--
check to see if your caliper bridge is properly tightened,but it sounds like your tires are rubbing something.
It's not warped rotors cause you would feel a pulsationin the wheel(for front brake)or the car would pulsate(if it were rear)

wicked said:
dr.sound--
check to see if your caliper bridge is properly tightened,but it sounds like your tires are rubbing something.
It's not warped rotors cause you would feel a pulsationin the wheel(for front brake)or the car would pulsate(if it were rear)
Not necasarily. When I had my P5, the same thing happened, and it was the brakes, it was a cracked rotor. Only on one side, it sounded like it was on both, and like it was up front, but it was actually the right rear. I say, take it to the stealership, and get them to take a look, I'm almost 99.999999999% sure its a rotor

right on guys,
i'll make an appointment on monday.

P.S. i inspected my wheel well and found no rubbing mark.....notheng on the tire to indicate rubbing as well.....

i'm pretty sure my rotors are gone cause i get crazy squicking/grinding noise when breaking sometimes.
usually 5-10 min after driving on the highway

hehe, i hear that sound whenever i'm at turnbull canyon victor. i was wondering if something was wrong, but it only happened in the conditions you mentioned. applying gas takes care of the sound and my worries :D hehehe

do you possible have a nail or something in the tire. you might only hear in when turning because it is near the sidewall.

Wheel bearings can make all kinds of crazy sounds. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the problem.

JeRNuT said:
do you possible have a nail or something in the tire. you might only hear in when turning because it is near the sidewall.
nahh, nothing like that.

Back