A Rebuild Story - A Forged MP3 Motor

Houston has the worst humidity, and the best stuff we use here down at the machine shop is LPS #3, it's not industrial stuff, you can get it at a good hardware store, or if you need to, a machine tool shop. You just spray the surfaces you don't want to rust, and it creates a waxy seal, and wont soak into the metal. When we want to come back and work on the parts, we wipe it down with good ole laquer thinner. LPS will last something like 5 yeatrs given my personal experience.

I understand on the not surfing for pictuers! :) I was just nipping the threadjack before it took off... you know how it is on here! LOL.

The engine that blew destoryed the block, a piston and rod (obviously!), the crank, the upper oil pan and bent two valves, but the head is intact and salveagable.

Yes the block is apparently closed deck based on what VERY LITTLE I know on that topic. http://www.cgperformance.com/subaru_block.htm :)

Later!

Steve

lol...yeah im a subaru nerd....
im actualy trying to sell my MP5 so i can get a 2.5rs...i had a GC8 before i had my MP5, realized what a mistake i made like a week after i traded the cars, now im going back to a GC8 and putting in a EJ20G, or EJ207 into it a coule of months later, if i have the $$$.....

Boom

The MP5T Destroyed itself tonight at 15 PSI and 230 Km/H.

A Line of oil and coolant over 2000 Ft in length, 5Ft in width marks where the car went quiet and then traveled to a gentle stop at the side of Murphy Road.

Luckly the plan was to rebuild the motor in the spring, and the short block was going to not be re-used, so I would have had to buy all this stuff anyways.

All I have to say is <!--emo&:confused:-->
confused.gif
<!--endemo--> and It will run next April.

sorry to hear that! 15 psi on stocky internals even tuned well is in my opinion that upper limit where it will just give up on it's own! Sounds like we'll both be aiming for about the same "up and running" date!

Welcome to the rebuild club! Feel free to post any good build information you've got into this thread, and we'll make it a bible of mazda (protege) rebuilding :)

BrianMP5T did have forged internals and somthing like 7.5 to 1 compression pistons

you said you were going to be running an AEM FPR with the microtec?
I would strongly advise getting somthing like the Haltech E6X, complete timing and fuel controll would be alot safer

Aricjm15 said:
BrianMP5T did have forged internals and somthing like 7.5 to 1 compression pistons

I would strongly advise getting somthing like the Haltech E6X, complete timing and fuel controll would be alot safer
8.5:1, but now they are 0:1, at least Cyl #3!

I'm going today to have a look at a used block I found local!

Last edited:
Aricjm15 said:

Microtech IS full timing and fuel and auxillary control. VERY powerful standalone engine management. It's a wonderful piece of equipment and works fabulously.

I have an aeromotive FPR right now and I'm not happy with it and Terry told me it's like the 3rd one as he had two fail before, so I'm leaving that for AEM now... BEGI if I find one and have money left.

Are you looking for a rising-rate FPR? If so, I still have my BEGI with overhaul pieces. It doesn't need an overhaul, as it still works great!

I haven't decided completely on that. I have such massive injectors I don't really need more pressure at all (8x550cc injectors), but I want it to be adjustable so I can nail a better fuel pressure... if the rising rate was low enough or adjustable that would probably work well as I need to push a lot of fuel for 22+ psi, and I want to use the secondaries as little as possible in the system... so I'd consider it... let me know the model and I'll get some more info and see if it fits my needs! :)

The RRFPR will work. I turned it all the way down, and the higest it went was like to 53 PSI. Hell, took it out, and with my Pierburg pump, I still hit 52-53 PSI of fuel pressure.

LinuxRacr said:
The RRFPR will work. I turned it all the way down, and the higest it went was like to 53 PSI. Hell, took it out, and with my Pierburg pump, I still hit 52-53 PSI of fuel pressure.
Moving to PM's

[AOL Voice] You've got Mail! [/AOL Voice] :D

TurfBurn said:
Microtech IS full timing and fuel and auxillary control. VERY powerful standalone engine management. It's a wonderful piece of equipment and works fabulously.

I have an aeromotive FPR right now and I'm not happy with it and Terry told me it's like the 3rd one as he had two fail before, so I'm leaving that for AEM now... BEGI if I find one and have money left.
Hey if you dont have a tunner there...here In Puerto Rico is what I think one of the best. Hes the one that managed to tune the 427WHP Protege5 (microtech of course) with forged internals, and also tuned it with stock internals up to 18psi when rods gave up.

He also tunned the 1st gen protege on stock internals 17psi never blown, now forged is running 25psi as of today.

He also has a 323 and a Kia all running low 11s, street cars all of em.

CAP Performance was the distributor and sponsor, now hes on himself and he now released like 4 more cars (mitsubishi techcnica, toyota tercel, the kia, and many more) all in the 11seconds ON PUMP GAS!!!!.

check some of the videos I posted of the oct 7, 2004 event...
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84369

kikito.jpg

dengue_track.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to be tuning all my own stuff... I had the car pretty dialed in before it popped during the race... But anyway...

I don't know what you are referring to as far as buying his program... the Microtech comes with a base map and tuning software, everything after that is tuning and every car is so different there is no way to really effectively transfer maps from car to car unless they run identical setups... but by the time you get to a standalone few cars are the same.

Back