A question for the clunkers

big_ben

Contributor
I haven't had the clunk you all talk about. But, I've noticed that the suspension and sway bars are so stiff that when you take an incline coming in or out of a parking lot at an angle, one of the rear wheels will lift off the ground. Is this when you are all hearing this? If so, all it is is the shocks bottoming out, then the wheel hits the ground as the car levels out. Let me know if this isn't what you are all hearing. It is cool how the shocks do this though. Has anyone else noticed this? I knew it felt like it inside the car, but then a friend told me as I was leaving a parking lot one day that my wheel came off the ground b/c my frame is so stiff from the reinforcements.

I did that the other day coming out of a driveway. One of my front tires was slightly lifted off the ground and it spun.. I was like WTF.

Yeah, it's normal. When the front tires do it, they will spin and you'll hear that chirp. Maybe this is what the mysterious clunk is. I haven't had the clunk everyone is talking about though. I do have the windshield wistle though when I get up to about 90 to 100mph.

Sorry folks, this is so wy off it's not even close.

When my car was clunking at it's worse, I could literally grab one side of the car. amd lift/lean on the car so that it would sway back and forth, and you could hear the clunk noise as it swayed from left to right. It WAS INDEED the bushings. The bushings were replaced, and the noise went away.

I would hear the noise just driving over little cracks in the road, or turning the car left/right quickly, or even braking hard. Anything that made the car sway, made the clunk noise.

When you hear it, you will know it. It'll even drown out your stereo, except for those few guys with the 15" subs in back that is!

later...

my windshield starts whistlen at about 100+ do u think if i tell the dealer that. do you think i should tell them i was goin that fast. im sure they will want to hear the sound forthemselves before the fix it????

Have had the clunks but only when its cold ( yea cold in AZ ?? ) I would say when its 55 degrees or less. And its usually over speed bumps. But as the weather warms up it wont make the clunk any more. I have put in a call to my dealership to check/replace the bushings though beacuse it does drive my crazy.

Back