A new tire size that WILL fit the stock MP3.

mazdamp3_18

:
06 gti, 06 evo IX
as some of you may know i work at discount tire in ann arbor michigan... i saw we got some new dunlop winter M2's in that were 225/45/17... i decided to test fit it and go against what others have said that the largest you can fit is 215/40/17.. well i know now they were wrong... i fit winter 225/45/17 on my stock mp3 wheels with slight rubbing only on full lock left or right.. with zero damage to the tire.. which now means we can fit 225/40/17 so i cant wait till next racing season to put the victorracer v700 autocross tires on my car..
i just wanted to let everyone know what i discovered ..

Nice find, but those Kuhmo's have a very large section & tread width. The section & tread width on the Dunlop M2 winter tires is significantly smaller, but the cool thing is that you work at Discount Tire, so you get to test fit different sizes for all of us.

Oh, yeah I merged your thread with another thread you posted. I think you might have accidentally double posted.

Last edited:
Hey mazdamp3_18,
Are you able to get any camber dialed in? I'm having serious issues with my V700 getting shredded. I am at 1deg POSITIVE all around and can't seem to fix it. And ideas?

cjstringer
Why did you go positive on the camber? I went the other way. They could only get less than 1 degree negative. It helped a little but I was hoping to get more.

I've heard there are some new Yokohama r-compounds on the way ... anyone else heard the same?
I need r-compounds to be competitive next season but now I'm getting all worried about them wearing badly because I cannot run the recommended 2 degree of camber... eek ... just have to have them re-mounted more I guess.

cj, my V700's were toast after last season also. super bad wear on the outside shoulder. I should have flipped them sooner. The inside was like brand new. I'm going to a custome alignment shop in a couple weeks to see what can be done and still stay stock. I'll let you knwo what I can find out. Even my street tires wear heavily on the outside edge so I wonder if the stock setting is either just odeg. or possible positive camber. And if it is I wonder why? The car is very responsive with the stock setting. I'm hoping that going as far negative as I can with the stock eccentrics will not give any negative results. I've also got a third set of street tires(I use these for track days too) and a second set of V700's for autocross on the way in the near future. I've never bought more tires in my life!

I'm thinking of ordering the V700's heat cycled this time. I think it's supposed to increase their life a little bit. I've been told that you can acheive the same reults by taking a long freeway trip on them but the factory way of doing it has got to be far more scientific,

CJstringer,
I just got the MP3 aligned. My service tech is supposed to be checking on the "crash bolts" as well. My current alignment is:

Front
left right
-0.8 -0.8 degrees camber
.09" .09" Toe
2.0 1.6 degrees caster

Rear
-1.2 -1.2 degrees camber
0.10" 0.08" Toe

I am going to try this for awhile. It is only a little more negitive camber then when it was originally delivered. It seems to react a little quicker and not understeer quite as much on the street. I'll let you know more after our autocross on the 12th.

Back