A friendly Bird left a gift on my CX-5.... advice meeded

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Hey guys,

So, today, I noticed a bird had left quite a nasty dropping on the side of my 2019 CX5, and I immediately set out to clean it off.

Having ruined my very first car by aggressively wiping (after wetting/soaping down the area), I remembered some advice I had received after that event and soaked and let it sit for a few minutes before attempting to do anything else.

I managed to use the hose to remove 99% of the droppings and then used a automotive soap to soap down the area, and rinsed.

Once I was done doing that, I noticed that there was still a stain on the spot. I've attempted to use a waterless wash and a very soft cloth to try to remove part of it in a small area, and was unable to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any products or techniques I can use to remove this mess? I don't want to ruin this beautiful paintjob I have.

ANY suggestions would be great.

Pic is attached.

IMG_9007-1.jpg

Try wd40 with the cloth. The lubricity will prevent scratching it might break down the s*** stain. Won't damage the clear. I used it with a polish cloth to get spray paint off my car recently

Minor compounding/polishing using a swirl remover will be required to correct the clear coat. Hard to tell from the posted pic how deep it goes into the clear coat but if really bad, 3000 grit and then compounding followed by a good sealant/wax may be required.

If you don't have a DA or the swirl remover, any professional detail shop should be able to take care of for you.

Hey guys,

So, today, I noticed a bird had left quite a nasty dropping on the side of my 2019 CX5, and I immediately set out to clean it off.

Having ruined my very first car by aggressively wiping (after wetting/soaping down the area), I remembered some advice I had received after that event and soaked and let it sit for a few minutes before attempting to do anything else.

I managed to use the hose to remove 99% of the droppings and then used a automotive soap to soap down the area, and rinsed.

Once I was done doing that, I noticed that there was still a stain on the spot. I've attempted to use a waterless wash and a very soft cloth to try to remove part of it in a small area, and was unable to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any products or techniques I can use to remove this mess? I don't want to ruin this beautiful paintjob I have.

ANY suggestions would be great.

Pic is attached.

View attachment 221282

If you're in a bind (time, money, etc.) hand sanitizer will get it off completely.

I've done it before with no issues.

It even gets off nearly impossible to remove tree sap.

A tiny drop on the spot, then let it soak for about 5-10 seconds, and then rub/wipe off will do the trick.

Of course clean the spot afterwards so there is no trace of hand sanitizer left.

I know this is a much debated topic but the miniscule amount used, plus how quickly the hand sanitizer dries out, shouldn't be an issue.

If you google this, you'll find this topic split amongst 2 sides (it's okay to use/it's not okay to use) on many forums.

However, many auto detailers mention that with miniscule usage, it won't be a problem to your paint.

As always, at your own discretion. I wouldn't want to see another thread here a few days later stating how your paint is discolored now.

If you happen to have a clay bar at home, try that. Use a lot of lubrication and do a few passes to see if it gets it off. If it doesn't work, or you don't have a clay bar, I would try polishing the spot by hand with a product from your local big box auto parts store. If that doesn't work, you could try a rubbing compound, but be very careful with those.

If none of those work, take it to a professional detailer.

Yeah I was going to say grab a clay bar and clay the spot while ensuring you stay properly lubricated with either soapy water or quick detailer spray. Then I'd try grabbing a cleaner wax or mild polish if that doesn't work.

Thanks to all the advice on this - I went with a clay bar and detailing spray option, and a cleaner wax and neither worked - They definitely HELPED... its not as bad as it was, but it's still present.

I'm totally blown away at how fast whatever that bird ate embedded itself into the paint - I've never had this happen before!

I guess it'll be off to a local detailing shop to see if they can fix it.. Part of the issue is where the metal had a bump in it, so I'll have to remind them about the sensitive nature this paint has and hopefully they won't go crazy like that poor other guy had happen here with his new car.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions to try?

Thanks!

I had the same on my brand new black cx5 few months back. Cleaned the bird poop but stain already embedded deeply in the coat/paint, probably because of the local heat.
Tried clay bars, polishing, meguairs m105, everything I could think except sanding but part of the stain is still there.

In the end I started applying optimum coat protection and waxes on a regular basis on the car and it helps in these situations.
New bird poop cant stain that severe going forward and gives you enough time to clean it safely.

Thanks to all the advice on this - I went with a clay bar and detailing spray option, and a cleaner wax and neither worked - They definitely HELPED... its not as bad as it was, but it's still present.

I'm totally blown away at how fast whatever that bird ate embedded itself into the paint - I've never had this happen before!

I guess it'll be off to a local detailing shop to see if they can fix it.. Part of the issue is where the metal had a bump in it, so I'll have to remind them about the sensitive nature this paint has and hopefully they won't go crazy like that poor other guy had happen here with his new car.

Thanks!

Might as well give the WD40 a go. It's cheap, and quite handy to have around anyways (if you don't already).

A very mild polishing compound and microfiber towel will do the trick. Something like CarPro Essence.

This kind of cloth (walmart)
c3d55d75-ee5b-4cde-a894-06a19e8bb742_1.cfd5dbf4f03bdb16aba8fb29f7f0ffd4.jpeg

Or this cloth they have at autozone. Its 3000 grit, but it's not sandpaper. It's a red cloth pad on the same aisle

Thanks!

Your bird dropping doesn't look that bad, agitate it a bit - any micro scratches can be taken off. I let a few droppings stay - they are now etched deep in the paint - Clay bar / Scratch X cannot get to it. No matter what I do I still see a walnut like pattern which is faint. Yours is a lot newer, I cant believe you are taking this to a detailer.

Just keep a microfiber and quality quick detailer on you. The high amount of surfactants will do the job. WD40 is mineral oil and stoddard solvent. Not exactly what I'd spray on a car, but also probably not the end of the world.

Your bird dropping doesn't look that bad, agitate it a bit - any micro scratches can be taken off. I let a few droppings stay - they are now etched deep in the paint - Clay bar / Scratch X cannot get to it. No matter what I do I still see a walnut like pattern which is faint. Yours is a lot newer, I cant believe you are taking this to a detailer.

I watched a YT on a detailer once. Dude charges like $5k per car. He has a mobile response asap for bird droppings. Interesting what some people with stoopid money can and will do. If OP is banking like that...

....rock on!
....with a 7 figure income/massive inheritance, why a cx5?

Latest posts

Back