626 Intake Manifold on a MP3

The MP3 comes with a better manifold than most proteges. It doesn't have the VTCS

Mazda used a system of butterflies in the intake manifold in an effort to reduce cold start emissions. The VTCS (Variable Tumble Control System) causes the incoming air to tumble as it enter the cylinder head and intake chamber with the hope of promoting better combustion at cold temps. However, once the engine has warmed up, the butterflies are fully opened yet still sit in the incoming air stream. A very popular mod is to remove these butterflies all together- much like how the Mazda MP3 does not have a VTCS in its manifold.

I'm not too familiar with the 626 manifold, it may have a wider neck allowing a little more air, but you have a good manifold on there already

Last edited:
The 626 has slight gains iirc. You should just keep your mp3 mani and take out the butterflies and emissions stuff.

I just wanna know what's the size of the TB opening on the 626 if anyone can answer that... As a user of the 626 manifold i would say it's better than the stock P5 manifold(no actual proof but it did change the feel of the car)... can't say anything about the MP3 manifold...

My MP3 is a race car, so I was wondering if it allowed for more air flow or any HP gains over the stock manifold?

My MP3 is a race car, so I was wondering if it allowed for more air flow or any HP gains over the stock manifold?

Lol unless turbod I doubt it's fast enough to be considered a race car, unless you autocross it in which your money would be better spent on suspension or brakes.

My understanding is that the 626 allows better air flow when forcing air in ( forced induction) but the runners in it settle for mid range power for na applications. The regular protege im has 2 sets of runners which is where Vic's comes in to allow the other runners to open at 5200 rpm which is aimed at higher rpm. The mp3 is basicly a ported protege Im without Vtcs which is for emissions but is a slight power loss.

Hopefully I didn't add to the confusion. But if you want more power get the 505 manifold

http://www.catesracing.com/flp/nasa/2012events/2012_04_sp/st_r/IMG_5921.JPG.html
No it is a race car, and has not seen a public road ever in its life.

that's pretty frickin' sweet!

i assume you're running a custom ECU, too? i also assume you are running a bench flow ported head with bigger valves? i take back my previous recommendation and change to this: you would probably see some gains from porting a 626 manifold to flow match to your head.

i think a 505 manifold would be too much for an NA MP3.

Engine is stock, and ECU has just been flashed. All it really has is racing exhaust, headers, cams and AEM intake.

if you are running stock-ish ECU, keep the MP3 manifold and port match it to your head. you could do the same at the throttle transition, too.

notice, i didn't say 'gasket' match. that will make the ports too big. you just want to smooth them out so there are no steps or restrictions at the head transition.

Back