626 Intake Manifold on a MP3

If you want the best manifold for a wide rpm range, go with the fz-ze if you want out right flow go with the 626 IM.

Im late for work so cant post the theory around why now, if i remember later i will.

I assume that everyone here knows why you want a tuned manifold if not, find another one of my posts or LW or Installshields. (In fact find the latter two as there knowledge far exceeds my own and can probably explain it better).

The principle is that you want to maximise the air in the engine. The problem lies in that to maximise the potential gains for the intake manifold means that you must compromise. If you want down low power then the intake manifold will be designed one way, if you want top end power it will have a different design. So at a very very basic level you you have to pick one or the other there is no middle ground.

This is where variable length intake manifolds come into play, now unfortunatley we cant unlike the 787B have truley variable intakes so what we have is a a manifold with two runners. One thats optimised for low engine speeds and one for high engine speeds, by doing so they aim to maximise the power and torque delivery of the engine. They in effect make a broader power band at the expense of peak gains they could achieve through a intake manifold (irrelevant of whether its down low or up high its designed for).

At low engine speeds the runners are long to due to the amount of time between when the intake valves open and the exhaust valves close. At higher engine speeds the opposite occurs, the runner shortens due to the time between opening and closing. This is because the length of the runner means that the time between reflections is greater. I cant find a picture of the fs-ze that shows this correctly at this moment, but the design between the JDM intake manifold and FS-ZE manifold is actually just the resonator box. This is a whole other kettle of fish which I havnt learnt about yet, the basics are that at certain RPM point the resonator causes an increase in power/torque. The intake manifold is considered a dual length manifold but in reality its a pretty poor design.

No matter the design though a dual runner manifold due to the desing isn't going to be able to achieve the same sort of power potential a tuned single runner manifold will give. At least in its current form.

Hope that answers your question. Ill reread my post in the morning see if it makes sense, ive tried to keep it brief so ive probably missed a fair bit I should have mentioned.

Dont understand the question. Do you mean do I know where to find the info? If so then yeah, I have a text book at home that I bought that covers it in enough detail IMO. University study comes first unfortunatley even if its boring in comparison.

Very interesting reading. I'm going to try and used an EDM 1.6L manifold with VICS and tune with my haltech to see if there are any performance gains (high, mid or low).

Reread my post. Ive missed stuff :(

Im not familiar with the 1.6 engine sorry :( Didn't know there was a difference.

A ZL head on a ZM engine would be kinda cool though ;)

Last edited:
Dont understand the question. Do you mean do I know where to find the info? If so then yeah, I have a text book at home that I bought that covers it in enough detail IMO. University study comes first unfortunatley even if its boring in comparison.
I think he's asking where he could find/buy an actual manifold

I think he's asking where he could find/buy an actual manifold

Correct

Reread my post. Ive missed stuff :(

Im not familiar with the 1.6 engine sorry :( Didn't know there was a difference.

A ZL head on a ZM engine would be kinda cool though ;)

It would be interesting. Wondering if there are any gains to be had. That would be another discussion with a lot of engine dissection and such.

Gains over what is the question though. Over a standard P5 manifold definatley VCTS sounds like a horrible performance robbing feature. Over MP3 (JDM manifold from what I can tell from Australia) yes but who knows how much?

Back