6 speed manual with 2.3 non turbo

:
2010 Mazda 5
Would it be possible to put a manual 6 from a MS3 into a 5? every time I bring this up it seems to disappear.

no...

New cars are made so that every inch of empty space is filled up with some component...now just look at the two cars and you will realize that the shapes are different I am sure the components are placed differently in each car. The mz3speed probably has bigger clutch plates etc...and who wants to cut and grind metal.

from what I have read the 2.3 turbo is the same engine with a different crank shaft, rods, pistons a I think heads. Car and Driver has shown physically the power train is a direct bolt in. After all the 5 is just a stretched 3. Even the suspension can be swapped. This is not true of the electrical.

I simply want to know if the bolt pattern is the same and would mount up.

I highly doubt they made a different transmission for the Mz3 as the Mz5. Simplest thing to do would be to call up your local dealer and ask. The 2.3l engine is interchangeable, so I suspect it's just a matter of finding one and bolting the thing up.

from what I have read the 2.3 turbo is the same engine with a different crank shaft, rods, pistons a I think heads. Car and Driver has shown physically the power train is a direct bolt in. After all the 5 is just a stretched 3. Even the suspension can be swapped. This is not true of the electrical.

I simply want to know if the bolt pattern is the same and would mount up.
Have you checked the Mz3 sub forums? I looked into it breifly in the past and I came accross some Mz3 owners in the process of doing it. If it works for them, it'll work for Mz5. Personally, I don't think the MS3 and Mz3/Mz5 differ all that much (but i'm sure there will be some minor differences).

EDIT: There's a how-to on this swap!? Did you even search?
http://www.mazda3 forums.com/index.php?topic=172769.0

Last edited:
The MS3 transmission is really heavy so my friend told me who turbocharged his Mazda 3 and dropped in an MS3 transmission.

I'd rather drop in the 2012+ Mazda 5 6MT in.

I did search but just in this section. I was looking for something specific to a 5. For example, are the cables for the shifter the same? Are there any sensors that are different?

it would physically bolt up without an issue. but there is a ton of tuning involved for all the electronics is what your biggest issue would be.

A related question - would a 6-speed manual from a 2012 Mazda5 fit into a 2009 Mazda5 with currently a 5-speed manual?

that would be alot better of a 6 speed option. as it doesnt have all the traction control stuff the MS6 one would. and t would still bolt up.

the question then would be would the original 09 mazda5 shifter linkage and lever still work, or would you need the one's from the 6 speed? also you would have to double check the spline counts on the axles to see if they are any different.

no one has ever done any of this at all. so its all totally in the air, and just observations. but its def doable. we just need someone to actually try. and one that has the experience of doing custom work so they dont get scared once they run into one issue, and lose interest.

I would think it would be necc to remove every trans-related part from the donor 6-speed to x-fr into the 09 Mz5. Linkage, cables, axles & poss even shifter. IDK how the electronics would cope, but just as much an issue is the lack of torque for a 2.3 vs. 2.5. One thing I've noticed is that the tall gearing in the 5MT may kill mpgs at high speeds, but I wonder if the lack of torque would affect its response at high speeds. Is the final drive for the 6MT similar or to the 5AT?

You also need to think about if the ECU is different.

IIRC, some cars that are A/T in comparison to a M/T car is their ECU's are different. On another car I had, you need to swap over the ECU as well.

Your best bet is if you were wanting to swap your car to a 6-speed M/T, then your car should be manual already. When you involve electronics when doing a mechanical swap, you're only asking for trouble. Fortunately, a original 5-speed manual mazda5 doesn't have to deal with any electronics because a manual transmission doesn't really care in which gear it is, just as long as as you don't over rev.

I remember a long time ago, a friend swapped over a M/T to his A/T car, and found out there was no rev limiter because the ECU controls it. When the ECU doesn't have any feed back from the electronics of an A/T car, things get screwy. He had to find a M/T ECU for it to work properly.

A related question - would a 6-speed manual from a 2012 Mazda5 fit into a 2009 Mazda5 with currently a 5-speed manual?

This is what I'm interested in... don't know if the 2.3 and 2.5 use the same short block. Guess it's time to start comparing bolt patterns / gaskets and a bunch of part numbers.

2.5 is just a larger version of the 2.3. the bell housing is unchanged. like i said in my 1st post. ;)

Ok, you didn't actually say that- just that they would bolt up without issue. :) Guess I was looking for pretty specific data. Time to ping my buddies inside of Ford- but I don't know that they have access to old Mazda drawings anymore. :(

Why would there be any sort of electronics tuning to be done, he'd be swapping one mtx for another???

Speed sensors should be the same, and that'd be easy to look at and compare.

the speed trannies have alot more to them then the standard mtx's. electronics wise to try to keep the Tq steer handled. thats why i said the 2.5 6 speed one would be much simpler. as it will most likely have the same sensors as the 2.3 mtx.

Yup, time to do parts research. The shift linkage on the 6-speed in the 5 will probably match up a lot better than from the MS3.

since there both a cable operated trans, the stock one in your 5 might even work. there's just no way to know though till its actually attempted.

True. I don't know how the reverse lockout works in the 6-speed compared to the 5-speed... it would be nice to have the 6 though since all the rest of my cars have 6 forward gears in them. :D

This is a mod that will take forever to happen for me though, if it ever happens at all- which it probably won't with all the other cars I have to spend money on.

Latest posts

Back