5 turns off when I put it in reverse WTF?

1WICKED6

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Ok on my other thread about bucking....the problem went away with the factory one and that was no longer an issue as long as I let the car run for a minute or two before driving...even with the factory air box the 5 would stutter in reverse and almost shut off, I decided to go back to the ebay intake and the car runs like a champ in every gear but reverse , as soon as I put it in reverse it shuts off...Any ideas WTF this could be?

might want to check the MAF wires for a loose/broken/strained connection, have read numerous threads with your issues, and this could be cause/solution.

Thank you...funny you mention that...I unplugged the MAF and plugged it back in and it went in to reverse just fine....Thought that was odd....Thank you again... Where exactly would I be looking ? where the pins are or where the wires go in at?

I thought you just said that it now goes into reverse fine?

ITTC, the problem wasn't the wires but the connection.

Are you still having issues?

Well ever since I reconnected it I just put it in reverse and never moved it. I am taking it to get an oil change today and will check to see , I did cut some of the tape that was holding the wiring harness closer to the battery but dont know if that helped since I never took it for a drive. Let you know later on today but I believe it does have something to do with the connection because if you move the whole intake tube..it also shuts off...I'm going to have to inspect the whole MAF sensor plug when I get a chance

usually the wires at the plug itself are the stress point, so i would check there first, if you have unplugged the maf several times and not been careful, you can bend the pins inside the plug and have bad contact, therefore, weird/unususal things can start happening.

might want to check the MAF wires for a loose/broken/strained connection, have read numerous threads with your issues, and this could be cause/solution.

Would you happen to have a link for this problem on another forum or even a diagram saying what each wire does so I can pinpoint it? Still having this problem...getting ready to try with the factory intake again...actually thinking about trading it in if I cant fix it...driving me nuts

Last edited:
No it seems to go and come ....I had a Fujita for 6 months and it started acting up....I put the factory box back on it worked fine...I got the itch for another intake ....it worked fine for a while started acting ....I put the factory box back on and it ran good for a Lil and starting acting the same as with the intake so I just put the intake back on

Last edited:
But this only happens in reverse? It would seem to me that since reverse causes the engine to rock forward a little, and that's when this happens, that you should be able to fiddle with the wiring and get it to do the same thing. Do you have a CEL?

If I drive the car for like 20miles the CEL turns off and as soon as I put it in reverse it acts like it's choking and it comes back on. Lately I try to find a parking I can just pull into or if I'm in a patking lot I just get into a spot I can just drive out of without putting in reverse....I took off work tonight....see if I can't take everything apart and take a closer look tomorrow morning after I take the kids to school

Did you have a resolution with the reverse only stall after. Mine has developed this annoying habit as well. I just replaced the purge control valve as thats what the cel was pointing me at but it still happens occasionally.

Thanks

Back