48000 miles on my 2014 CX5..

EvansMazda

:
2016 Mazda6 GT
In the next few weeks I will be transitioning into my new lease: a 2016 Mazda6 grand touring with tech package. Needless to say I am extremely excited about the new car and 48000 miles later in my CX5 my experience has been trouble free with only minor annoyances. Here is my list:
1. Drivers side mirror vibrates like crazy at highway speeds, difficult to see anything out of it clearly.
2. Hood flex and highway speeds
3. Creaking noise coming from dashboard somewhere.
4. Doors creak when opening like a 100 year old car
5. Unbelievably loud road, engine and wind noise at highway speeds.
6. No light in glovebox, poor trunk lighting.
7. Heating and AC very weak and no in between, it's either freezing or blazing hot, takes ages to pump out hot air.
8. Armrest is set too far back and low for comfort

Really can't think of anything else, these things bothered me terribly at first but I really don't notice them now except the road noise, I just can't fathom how mazda tested the car at highway speeds and didn't think about fixing the noise. When I tested the mazda6 it seems like they fixed all the issues and then some. I realize my model was one of the first and they were still working out the kinks so I'm not complaining.

You do realize that most of your annoyances will still exist in your new 2016. Just saying (boom01)

You do realize that most of your annoyances will still exist in your new 2016. Just saying (boom01)

Well #1, 2, 3, 4 are quality issues so they probably won't return with a car in its later years of production. #5 was apparently remedied with the 2016 update. #8 doesn't seem to be an issue with the 6s armrest design.

So that leaves #6 and 7, that I have no clue. Seems like an improvement, and that "most of your annoyances" will no longer exist.

The Mazda 6 is a great car. Congrats OP!

In the next few weeks I will be transitioning into my new lease: a 2016 Mazda6 grand touring with tech package. Needless to say I am extremely excited about the new car and 48000 miles later in my CX5 my experience has been trouble free with only minor annoyances. Here is my list:
1. Drivers side mirror vibrates like crazy at highway speeds, difficult to see anything out of it clearly.
2. Hood flex and highway speeds
3. Creaking noise coming from dashboard somewhere.
4. Doors creak when opening like a 100 year old car
5. Unbelievably loud road, engine and wind noise at highway speeds.
7. Heating and AC very weak and no in between, it's either freezing or blazing hot, takes ages to pump out hot air.

Really can't think of anything else, these things bothered me terribly at first but I really don't notice them now except the road noise, I just can't fathom how mazda tested the car at highway speeds and didn't think about fixing the noise. When I tested the mazda6 it seems like they fixed all the issues and then some. I realize my model was one of the first and they were still working out the kinks so I'm not complaining.
For 2016

1) I experience no mirror vibration whatsoever.
2) No hood flex
3) I thought I had a dash board rattle but turned out to be my garage door clip rattling in the visor.
4) doors don't creak yet, only about 1000 miles
5) The chassis is stiff and so is the suspension (compared to other CUVs), so the road might feel harsh compared to say a RAV4. But for the most part it is very quiet and I don't mind the firm ride and gladly take it for its excellent handling characteristics.
6) Still no light in glove box, at least for the Sport model. Trunk light has only one light on the door. It's not spectacular, but gets the job done. I suppose this area could be improved with possibly 2 lights instead of one.
7) it was 95*f today and the ac was temp setting was in the middle cold setting and the fan speed was set in the middle as well. I was pretty comfortable during my 1 hour commute home. I have manual climate control settings so not sure about the automatic climate control performance.
8) Arm rest is set perfect for me, so I guess this is quite subjective. I don't think Mazda offers an adjustable arm rest yet though.

16 CX-5 GT AWD here. Bought in November and now have nearly 3000 miles on her. Previous cars were a 2012 BMW 128 and 2014 BMW 228. IMHO the quality of my Mazda is better than the BMWs. As far as your concerns,

1. No mirror vibration at all, at any speed
2.No hood flex at all at any speed
3. No creaks or rattles at all. BMWs were bad about that
4. No door creaks
5. Road noise and ride are just fine to me. Course the previous car was a BMW with run flats and that's just the worst.
6. OK, that hasn't changed
7. Heating is outstanding. Temps around here in the sunny south have been frigid (High Monday is gonna be 33 deg F). Cars heater is blowing warm air within. 3-4 miles. Haven't had a chance to try the AC yet
8. Ok agree with you there
I am totally in love with this car even with the very few minor imperfections

Last edited:
Road noise is more dependent on tires than anything else. The Toyos aren't particularly quiet. Trunk light is a real pain for me. There's a 12v there I plugged in a light there. All others no issue.

1. Drivers side mirror vibrates like crazy at highway speeds, difficult to see anything out of it clearly. Mine, too.
2. Hood flex and highway speeds Yep.
3. Creaking noise coming from dashboard somewhere. All cars can have this gremlin. It's annoying.
4. Doors creak when opening like a 100 year old car Sounds like some silicon spray or any number of other dry lubricants could fix it.
5. Unbelievably loud road, engine and wind noise at highway speeds. Yep. That's because it's a sports CUV. Sound deadening costs weight! Zoom zoom!

It's a pretty nice car for the cost, IMO

When I test drove the 2016 mazda6 I noticed there were no problems and I made it a point to take the car onto the highway and some rough roads. I was out with the salesman for almost an hour driving around. Although I failed to check the trunk light lol a trunk will have significantly less light than the hatch on the cx5 so I'll be probobly be grabbing the windshield washer fluid rather than the gallon of milk several times .

I agree it's a fantastic car and the annoyances I list don't bother me really, I never complained to the dealer and for the past 3 years only went there to get the oil changed and tires rotated. I did have to get the brakes replaced do to the tsb but that was a non issue. And I can see mazda improved on the 2015 and 2016 model significantly. I have recommended 2 of my friends and my own mother to get the cx5, but I'm getting tired of the cuv look since I've driven one for 6 years (kia sportage for 3 years) and now I want a nice sedan to spice things up.

Road noise is more dependent on tires than anything else. The Toyos aren't particularly quiet. Trunk light is a real pain for me. There's a 12v there I plugged in a light there. All others no issue.
I lol'd when I saw the trunk light. This one puny little thing in the corner.

Well #1, 2, 3, 4 are quality issues so they probably won't return with a car in its later years of production. #5 was apparently remedied with the 2016 update. #8 doesn't seem to be an issue with the 6s armrest design.

So that leaves #6 and 7, that I have no clue. Seems like an improvement, and that "most of your annoyances" will no longer exist.

The Mazda 6 is a great car. Congrats OP!

Thank you! Now I have to decide on mazda or weather tech floor liners for these harsh CNY winters

I agree it's a fantastic car and the annoyances I list don't bother me really, I never complained to the dealer and for the past 3 years only went there to get the oil changed and tires rotated. I did have to get the brakes replaced do to the tsb but that was a non issue. And I can see mazda improved on the 2015 and 2016 model significantly. I have recommended 2 of my friends and my own mother to get the cx5, but I'm getting tired of the cuv look since I've driven one for 6 years (kia sportage for 3 years) and now I want a nice sedan to spice things up.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the 6 either then. I wouldn't return to a sedan personally, but that's my taste ;)

Odd, my August 2015 build CX-5 GT has absolutely zero mirror or hood vibrations no matter what speed or how rough a road surface

I was looking at a 2014 used cx5 but went for a new 2015 GT cause my wife liked the fit of the seats better. I am glad I did. All of the structural issues had been taken care of. The light in the trunk area is weak but I am in there mostly in the daytime and have it switched off most of the time. The AC takes some time to cool down in Florida but up in WV it works fine. The heat does take awhile to warm under 20 degrees but I now let it warm up while waiting for the wife and switch on the heat warmers. After the blue light is out it warms up fast and will drive you out ten miles down the road. I keep it between 68 and 72 in the winter and drive without a coat on trips. Found out it works better if you keep the fan speed on about 1/3 to 1/2 and the semi- auto temp between 68 and 72. You have a lot of area to move the air. I don't use the total auto control because I don't want the AC compressor cycling. Took it to Florida and was very satisfied with the mpg (28 average, loaded, $65 one way) ride height is great, could have held it at 80 mph except for speed limits and mpg. Now in snow (AWD) with oem tires it goes very well without snow tires. I don't have to take it off road and when it gets real bad I stay home. However I believe if I were out in heavy snow it would get me through it. Brakes are outstanding and getup and go is great for a four cylinder. I love to use the manual shift to downshift going downhill to stay off the brakes. However I have discovered the tranny will downshift itself if I tap the brakes going downhill. If I want more sport I still have my Accord V6 6 speed.

Odd, my August 2015 build CX-5 GT has absolutely zero mirror or hood vibrations no matter what speed or how rough a road surface

These were old issues, now fixed at least 2-2.5 years ago. Older cars can be retrofitted via TSB

My heat and AC work flawlessly. However, I have the automatic system. I recently had a MY 2015 loaner with manual climate control and it made me miss the auto version. This may have been tweaked recently, our mazda 3 has a slightly different manual system that works better.

My heat and AC work flawlessly. However, I have the automatic system. I recently had a MY 2015 loaner with manual climate control and it made me miss the auto version. This may have been tweaked recently, our mazda 3 has a slightly different manual system that works better.

I have the auto version of the climate system but really, what makes it any different than manual? I mainly just like it for the dual climate settings. But other than that, I never hit the "auto" button as it justs put it on full blast heat to my feet. Am I missing something?

I have the auto version of the climate system but really, what makes it any different than manual? I mainly just like it for the dual climate settings. But other than that, I never hit the "auto" button as it justs put it on full blast heat to my feet. Am I missing something?

OP was complaining his a/c and heat were either on or off. The auto usually starts with a blast and then ramps to whatever. There is an override though for AC - if you set it to 60, it just puts out max cold the whole time. I'm not sure if there's a heater version of this, but I bet there is if you set it warm enough. I keep mine set to 68 year round and it seems to work pretty well without me ever thinking about it.

Back