409whp Yay

Thank you so much for bringing up that glowing report.

Quoting: "The car was running high boost and advanced timing - enough to make it detonate when the non-intercooled air hit the combustion chambers."

I suspect the detonation heard by the writer was actually pre-ignition, which occurs before the spark event, and is caused by excessively hot combustion chambers. This form of abnormal combustion cannot be controlled by retarding the spark, so the J&S is not programmed to listen for it.

I saw this on one of my first installations, which was a non intercooled 7psi Paxton blower kit on a '92 Mustang. In individual cylinder mode, the unit would control perfectly for about three seconds, then audible detonation would set in. My scope showed audible knock was happening several degrees before the spark event. Switching to retard all mode, no pre-ignition, and the unit controlled well. Thinking back on my Beta software, I had a more aggressive retard profile in individual cylinder mode.

Too much retard can heat the exhaust valve, leading to pre-ignition. For the Paxton installation, software would retard 2, 4, or 6 per event, up to 20. The test software used in the Paxton installation also added more retard if in individual cylinder mode. This may have been too much, actually causing pre-ignition. Production software removed this "feaure". Later units incorporated the mode switch to select 10 or 20 max knock retard.

The unit pictured in the article has the range control switch, but I don't know how it was configured. Probably set to 20, since that sounds like the right thing to do. After all, it's still pinging, right?

Note that the 20 mode is still useful, if things are in reason. For example, this mode was used on hundreds of early Sebring/Jackson Miata kits, which had no intercooler, but did have rudimentary (RRFPR) fuel control.

Ddrop said:
still researching into it some more. ive read "how to tune and modify engine management systems" all over again after viewing this thread.
A saw that article a couple of years ago and also did the microphone DIY detection unit, too bad I didnt have the J&S by then but the MPI Piggyback and I was able to hear knock, retard some ignition and make it stop.
I think im going to do it again but now I have the J&S.

If anyone is interested ... check this site, it has some samples of knock in wavs and a spectrum analizer with the knock frequencies recorded, you can see the slashes in the spectrum.
http://home.netcom.com/~bsundahl/knock/sound/KnockSounds.htm

Hey, also, you can detect knock with bare ears if you use an Oil Pressure gauge with a copper line going into the inside of the car, you will be able to hear the knock closer to you ears because it will be conducted thru the copper tube. If you want it louder, make sure to have copper tube rubbing with the pole of the car, or even better, put the microphone DIY detector into that copper line.

have fun...

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the owner of the unit in the Auotospeed article said the magazine kept the unit, and he had to make an effort to get it back. He was considering importing them, but the taxes, duties, shipping, etc meant that he would have to sell them for $900 Au, (1998).

Thats cool but what do you think the consequences of putting that on the street are. A dyno isn't as harsh as actually putting it down on the road. You could also go for an "overboost" option where you could turn up the boost from within the passengers seat for a brief period of time. If your barely losing a race, you could jump the boost up, win, and than blow up in a fire ball. Thats the best way to win.

Back