33k on odo and dealer says I need new rear pads/rotors

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
WTH, I drive it like a pussycat, no hard braking, etc. Their inspection sheet says 3mm on both rear brakes.
The fronts are both at 6mm.
What have others experienced with the brakes?

This relates to my 2016 CX-5 Touring.

Typical for the CX5, you actually got better wear than I did....

What have others experienced with the brakes?
On my 2016.5 touring I changed the rear at 92,500 mi and they had 3-4mm of pad remaining. I did the fronts at about 106,000 and they still had probably 4mm remaining as well.

There are so many variables on brake wear though. My wife drives the 2016.5 and does a pretty even mix of highway/city/urban driving so I was impressed with the endurance of the pads.

My 2015 mazda3 went over 100k miles on oem pads as well.

Rears always go first. Nothing unusual here.
What's more important is that all four pads are wearing at the same rate. I assume they are.
I'd be concerned if one pad was at say, 4mm, and the opposite one was at say, 1mm.

Don't think so. If calipers were dragging they would of wanted to replace the calipers too.
Really? I bet your Mazda dealer doesn’t even aware the existence of TSB R052/16C. Ask how many members with 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 had to “ask” for the caliper replacement due to the EPB dragging issue. You pre-mature rear disk pad wear-out is abnormal, and most likely caused by the EPB dragging. You need revised rear disk calipers manufactured after 2016/9/7.

Typical for the CX5, you actually got better wear than I did....
I thought you had your rear calipers replacement on your 2016 (or 2016.5?) CX-5 due to the EPB dragging issue?

Really? I bet your Mazda dealer doesn’t even aware the existence of TSB R052/16C. Ask how many members with 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 had to “ask” for the caliper replacement due to the EPB dragging issue. You pre-mature rear disk pad wear-out is abnormal, and most likely caused by the EPB dragging. You need revised rear disk calipers manufactured after 2016/9/7.

I'd second this opinion. Doesn't hurt to see what they say.

I'm not sure that 3mm left on rear pads with even wear would be considered pre-mature, or an indication of brake drag. If there was a problem with the calipers, they'd wear unevenly, and a lot sooner.
Just my personal take, but it looks like normal rear brake wear to me.
That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask about the TSB.

⋯ If there was a problem with the calipers, they'd wear unevenly, and a lot sooner.
It’s not “if” or “but”, but it’s the fact. Rear disk brake calipers with EPB are having flaws and Mazda had to revise the calipers after 2016/9/7. See the TSB for details.

And I simply don’t believe needing new rear pads and rotors at 33K miles cab be considered as normal rear brake wear on CX-5 unless the driver uses the brakes so often. Then he / she would need front brakes very soon too.

Does this TSB cover 2017's?
No. But you have to check the date code on rear calipers. Those calipers manufactured after 2016/9/7 are the revised version and shouldn’t have EPB dragging issue.

I thought you had your rear calipers replacement on your 2016 (or 2016.5?) CX-5 due to the EPB dragging issue?
yep, on my 2016. My 2014 CX5, with no EPB, had the rear pads replaced at 32k miles. lots of stories like that on here for cars before 2016 if you look.

It’s not “if” or “but”, but it’s the fact. Rear disk brake calipers with EPB are having flaws and Mazda had to revise the calipers after 2016/9/7. See the TSB for details.

And I simply don’t believe needing new rear pads and rotors at 33K miles cab be considered as normal rear brake wear on CX-5 unless the driver uses the brakes so often. Then he / she would need front brakes very soon too.
Actually they re-surface the rotors. I didn't mean to imply that the rotors were bad, it's just that they redo the rotors with the pad replacement. They do that with all brake jobs regardless.
Since I only put about 5k miles per year on the 2016 I'll wait till next year and have the rears replaced. It's only a couple hundred bucks so not a major expense.

And 95% of my driving is suburban with a good amount of braking.

Brakes are a thing that completely depend on how you drive. If you drive all highway like I do, they'll last forever. If you drive inner city stop and go like a taxi does, you'll be lucky to get 20,000 out of a set. If you have a Miata that you flog at at Laguna Seca on Saturdays, you'll be doing great to get a weekend out of them.

Actually they re-surface the rotors. I didn't mean to imply that the rotors were bad, it's just that they redo the rotors with the pad replacement. They do that with all brake jobs regardless.
Since I only put about 5k miles per year on the 2016 I'll wait till next year and have the rears replaced. It's only a couple hundred bucks so not a major expense.

And 95% of my driving is suburban with a good amount of braking.
Don't they have an indicator that makes a scratch noise when they get to a certain point? Then you need to get some pads.

I didn't say that rear calipers with EPB didn't have flaws. I fully understand the early versions were problematic.
I was just postulating that the calipers on the OPs particular vehicle could still OK.
These calipers don't have a 100% failure rate....yet.

Don't they have an indicator that makes a scratch noise when they get to a certain point? Then you need to get some pads.
They call them squealers, or at least they did on earlier cars that had them.
Not sure if today's vehicles still have them on the pads or not. If not, they should.
Guess you'd have to take a look at the pads and see if they are there.

Back