22" wheels

Sure, it's feasible as the pic shows. 22" wheels and tires are going to be very heavy and expensive, and you will feel more vibration in the vehicle. Personally, I think 18s, 19s, or 20s look better. It's a matter of preference and priorities. I downsized my wheels to fit the largest tires possible to get the best ride and lowest noise.

I would say the only advantage to an oversized tire/wheel combination is looks (or not) depending on personal preference so is it really an "upgrade?" They will be heavier, ride worse, damage easier, degrade gas mileage and performance, and cost $$$. Now if you pay $$$$$$ you may be able to compensate for some of those shortcomings but your CX-5's suspension, body structure, and weight were designed around a 17"-19" package so the closer you stay to that formula, the better. If you want 22s" get a vehicle engineered to accommodate that size. Your car, your money... if it's worth it for the appearance you crave then by all means give it a shot.

Depends on you, your passengers and your type of roads you're traveling on.

Me, my kids nor older relatives nor friends liked the ride comfort level with 19 inches on the vehicle. Alot of people would not ride in my CX5 because of the rough ride. My northern roads are horrible and combined with the Mazda 'hug the road" suspension" the vehicle felt like a mars rover.
I downsized to 16" tires for a comfortable ride and offroading.

If you're young, don't mind a bumpy ride, live on nice pothole free smooth florida /California type roads and don't transport old people in your vehicle, don't offroad and want the look, then see what will fit. Remember to keep the whole tire/wheel combo within 3 % tolerance of the previous combo/diameter.

Also remember, 22" rims will damage very very easily then all that $$ is down the drain. Imo, you should only do 22" on smooth city roads outside the snowbelt. Like chocolate and CXHA said "they will be very heavy" so acceleration (your car will be slower) will suffer as well as gas mileage, etc. Also, you can't take 22 inch rims offroad at the correct diameter as you've
got no sidewall so you've effectively taken away any SUV capability. If you must go up, maybe check out 20 inchers instead.

Last edited:
…I saw this car and its my vision…
Realize that your “vision” has been lowered substantially with coilovers - just swapping wheels will not give you that exact look. Too, I’m not certain if there would be interference with those wide tires. That said, I like the look for an urban CX.

226F5A1F-28E7-4E24-8F5D-A33A30D8F730.jpeg

I would say the only advantage to an oversized tire/wheel combination is looks (or not) depending on personal preference so is it really an "upgrade?" They will be heavier, ride worse, damage easier, degrade gas mileage and performance, and cost $$$. Now if you pay $$$$$$ you may be able to compensate for some of those shortcomings but your CX-5's suspension, body structure, and weight were designed around a 17"-19" package so the closer you stay to that formula, the better. If you want 22s" get a vehicle engineered to accommodate that size. Your car, your money... if it's worth it for the appearance you crave then by all means give it a shot.

Maybe....

I went from a 19" 225/55 to a 20" 245/45 and shaved 11lbs per corner (see photos) and the package was very reasonable cost wise.

Going bigger does not have to mean going heavier, and in fact, can be lighter.

Attachments

• PXL_20220726_173536395.jpg
    PXL_20220726_173536395.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20220726_175859205.jpg
    PXL_20220726_175859205.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 87
Well done dps03! You did it right. Ever notice how difficult it is to get accurate weights on some aftermarket wheels? If it's not listed you can rightly assume that its a porker.. you pay for the engineering, design and construction a quality wheel manufacturer invests in designing strong and light wheels, and they will certainly advertise that effort. And in your case I wouldn't classify your setup as oversized as it is within one inch of OEM and you invested in your research to substantially reduce the unsprung weight.

Maybe....

I went from a 19" 225/55 to a 20" 245/45 and shaved 11lbs per corner (see photos) and the package was very reasonable cost wise.

Going bigger does not have to mean going heavier, and in fact, can be lighter.
20 inches are only slightly off from stock and appear somewhat functional and you did a great job losing unsprung weight .

22 inch, is way outside stock parameters, and while visually nice, seems to be non-functional and loose all aspects of the SUV. OP needs to ask...
How hard is it to get tires?
How bumpy will the ride be?
How much will tires cost?
Even a slight mishap that sends the car offroad into a ditch could be catastrophic with those rims.
The OP should hopefully take all this into consideration.

20 inches are only slightly off from stock and appear somewhat functional and you did a great job losing unsprung weight .

22 inch, is way outside stock parameters, and while visually nice, seems to be non-functional and loose all aspects of the SUV. OP needs to ask...
How hard is it to get tires?
How bumpy will the ride be?
How much will tires cost?
Even a slight mishap that sends the car offroad into a ditch could be catastrophic with those rims.
The OP should hopefully take all this into consideration.

Agreed....I would be weary going that tall for certain.

Well done dps03! You did it right. Ever notice how difficult it is to get accurate weights on some aftermarket wheels? If it's not listed you can rightly assume that its a porker.. you pay for the engineering, design and construction a quality wheel manufacturer invests in designing strong and light wheels, and they will certainly advertise that effort. And in your case I wouldn't classify your setup as oversized as it is within one inch of OEM and you invested in your research to substantially reduce the unsprung weight.

Indeed it is tough!

That said, TireRack does a pretty good job listing the weights and I did find that they were accurate in my case. The wheel came right in at 24lbs and the tire right at 25 just as TireRack said they should.

I went with these wheels FWIW with the Continental DSW06+ tires (very light weight).

Attachments

• FLOWONE-F2-Gloss-Black-DDT.jpg
    FLOWONE-F2-Gloss-Black-DDT.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 76
Indeed it is tough!

That said, TireRack does a pretty good job listing the weights and I did find that they were accurate in my case. The wheel came right in at 24lbs and the tire right at 25 just as TireRack said they should.

I went with these wheels FWIW with the Continental DSW06+ tires (very light weight).
Agree. Great wheel. Clean design.
Almost went with a
similar design with the BBS SR rims. But liked old 5 spoke pattern better.

Back