2023 Mazda CX-5 S or 2021 Carbon Turbo

I really like the NA engine, except for the lack of power under 3k rpm on the 3rd gear in particular. It all depends on what you are expecting from the car. I have never had a problem overtaking or getting up to highway speeds, and the power is more than enough for my daily use. It also definitely doesn't disappoint me on the highway or in the city. I try not to be a fast driver, but there have been times when the car pushed (and allowed) me to play around a bit, so I wouldn't personally say it lacks power.

Obviously I wouldn't say no to more power; but it would mean worse fuel economy and more speeding tickets for sure.

In the last 11000 miles, I averaged 22.7 mpg (10.33L/100km) and my best is 28.5mpg (8.25L/100km) in a 70% highway, 30% city situation. These are my averages on the pump, not according to the trip monitor. I feel like the trip monitor is a bit optimistic.

I assume the S is the base model. One of the big reasons why I went for my CX-5 was the features, so I am not sure if I would prefer the S. But given that the two options are a brand new S or a used Carbon Turbo, I'd say the S is the better option.

Have tested these and found the display to be fairly accurate usually within +1/- 1 mpg.

had verified this one,
100 % highway = 39.2 mpg dash display, 38.4 mpg real calculation.
Filled at gas station 1 beforehand. Filled again at gas station 2 after and calculated.
*** 55 mph, no A/C, no sport mode, no sudden accelerations.

Just took this one today
70% hwy, 30% sport mode/hilly
=33.1 mpg dash. Even if dash is off , it's probably around 32 to 32.5 mpg . 55 to 60 mph highway cruise and then Sport mode after highway exit. One spirited ramp merge.

Attachments

• mazda 39 mpg.png
    mazda 39 mpg.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 74
  • mazda 33 mpg.png
    mazda 33 mpg.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I really like the NA engine, except for the lack of power under 3k rpm on the 3rd gear in particular. It all depends on what you are expecting from the car. I have never had a problem overtaking or getting up to highway speeds, and the power is more than enough for my daily use. It also definitely doesn't disappoint me on the highway or in the city. I try not to be a fast driver, but there have been times when the car pushed (and allowed) me to play around a bit, so I wouldn't personally say it lacks power.

Obviously I wouldn't say no to more power; but it would mean worse fuel economy and more speeding tickets for sure.

In the last 11000 miles, I averaged 22.7 mpg (10.33L/100km) and my best is 28.5mpg (8.25L/100km) in a 70% highway, 30% city situation. These are my averages on the pump, not according to the trip monitor. I feel like the trip monitor is a bit optimistic.

I assume the S is the base model. One of the big reasons why I went for my CX-5 was the features, so I am not sure if I would prefer the S. But given that the two options are a brand new S or a used Carbon Turbo, I'd say the S is the better option.
Are you still running 19's ? Try dropping to lightweight 17's for extra torque in 3rd. Every drop of unsprung weight (19's to 17's then 16's) improved my performance.

My best highway mpg is 39.2 mpg dash( 38.4 real calc).

My overall average(combined highway/city) now fluctuates between 28 and 30 and is currently at 28.2(see pic)

Key to increased mpg is more cruise control, less sport mode, and easy on the acceleration/braking. Have to change your whole driving style.

* Have compared dash display to real gas pump calculations on s few occasions and usually only a slight difference of 1 mpg or less.

Attachments

• mazda 39 mpg.png
    mazda 39 mpg.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 66
  • mazda 33 mpg.png
    mazda 33 mpg.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I only use Costco top tier 93 octane because around here the cost is not much more than what they sell 87 for at most pumps. I definitely feel the difference. This vehicle loves to drink the good stuff. I also see about a 10% gain in MPG, which is is line with other turbo vehicles I’ve owned.
It is nice to know that this is not an absolute requirement, for those times when I may need to use 87 because I’m not anywhere near a Costco

Same experience as you with the NA. Great engine, very smooth. I did not notice a lack of power on 3rd gear under 3k rpm as you do. I really like it. I don't know what I would do more or better with more power. I also never used the sport mode.
I get the same average mpg somewhere around 21.5-24, depending on outside temperature. Mostly urban driving. Not great.

Same experience as you with the NA. Great engine, very smooth. I did not notice a lack of power on 3rd gear under 3k rpm as you do. I really like it. I don't know what I would do more or better with more power. I also never used the sport mode.
I get the same average mpg somewhere around 21.5-24, depending on outside temperature. Mostly urban driving. Not great.
It's smoother with the turbo.

Have tested these and found the display to be fairly accurate usually within +1/- 1 mpg.

had verified this one,
100 % highway = 39.2 mpg dash display, 38.4 mpg real calculation.
Filled at gas station 1 beforehand. Filled again at gas station 2 after and calculated.
*** 55 mph, no A/C, no sport mode, no sudden accelerations.

Just took this one today
70% hwy, 30% sport mode/hilly
=33.1 mpg dash. Even if dash is off , it's probably around 32 to 32.5 mpg . 55 to 60 mph highway cruise and then Sport mode after highway exit. One spirited ramp merge.
I just got back from a round trip from NC to just north of Syracuse NY. 1350 miles round trip. including PA mountains on I-85. I have a 2023 CX-5 Turbo and left home with 185 miles on it. I averaged 28.5mpg up and back running 70mph - 75mph with AC on the entire way. In town I get 25.5mpg. Just under 2000 miles on it now. I would think mileage will improve a bit after break in.

- T

Back