2022 Mazda3 Rear Window Ticking/Clicking

:
2022 Mazda 3 CE
Hi All,

I've tried researching this, but I'm not able to find anything exactly like it. The Mazda dealership also hasn't encountered it before. Or maybe I'm just not using the correct keywords to describe the problem.

Recently bough a 2022 Mazda 3 FWD Carbon Edition and I'm hearing this ticking sound coming from the rear window (rear windshield?.. the big one with the defrosters). I've made the Mazda dealership aware, but if I don't have to make the 30 mile drive out there (was the only dealership selling at msrp) and spare myself the "we didn't find anything" response by fixing it myself that would obviously be preferred. It starts about a minute into driving if from a cold start, instantly if I've only had it parked while I'm shopping or something. Doesn't matter if the road is flat or bumpy, it's still there. It's more constant when on an expressway.

I've attached the sound file for it. There's road noise, but you should still be able to clearly hear it in the background. It's maddening. The car is absolutely amazing, but it's hard to enjoy with this constant soul stabbing ticking and you can only blast music so loud for so long before it gives you a headache.

Yesterday I had someone drive for me while I was in the back, half in the trunk and half on the folded down seats and from what I can tell it's coming from the rear window. The space there is pretty narrow and my head is bald and massive so I wasn't able to fully get my ear back in there, but it seems like the window. MAYBE it's from the C pillars and bouncing off the window? But to have the same sound on both C pillars seems a bit rare and I don't hear it when strictly focusing on the C pillars themselves as the sound still seems like it's coming from... beyond them, if that makes any sense. I guess either window or somewhere on the sides of the rear speaker assembly area.

The absolutely annoying thing about this is that I am not able to replicate it when the car is stopped. When it's moving I have not been able to find a place where if I apply pressure the noise stops.

What I've checked before taking the ride yesterday:
- Seatbelts - had them fully pulled out, wiggled them around, etc - nothing.
- Seats themselves - had the folded down - sound still present.
- Weather stripping on the rear doors - removed it, sound still present.
- Removing the styrofoam around the spare didn't help.
- Tried padding around the plastic panels in the trunk area a bit, but that did nothing.
- Checked every panel I could in the trunk while the car was moving and parked, but not able to replicate the same sound.
- Cant replicate the sound by applying pressure to the rear window when parked.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• ClickingMP3(1).mp3
    440.7 KB
Solution
Wow! You have my Mazda!! 😂 I have also experienced the noise with my brakes! I read a comment from another forum, in which someone with the same complaint was told that the problem was most likely related to the C pillar and/or headliner joining said pillar. It's crazy! If you ever have the time to play around and investigate further, please let me know! Best of luck!
Now that you mention the headliner. It has dropped to single digits now here in Chicago and I've been driving around without it ticking a lot anymore... It makes sure I know it's still in my life with a tick or two every now and then, but I didn't even really notice until I realized how much less it was happening - to the point I'm just chalking up any ticks I do...
I literally had a similar weird noise from the back left area. A odd crackle I couldn’t put my finger on. Turned the av unit off to make sure it wasn’t a speaker going bad (eye daggers at visteon), nope. Checked every linkage, wire, seat, panel, trim, looked under the left rear side. Nothin. Got to Mazda, about to ask them to please trace this damn noise. …… it was a long triple pine needle cluster the lovely winds had blown into the weather stripping of the right rear door. Took it out and the infuriating noise went away. It was the needles slapping about on the right side.
Long story short, don’t discount something on the right side making it sound like it’s something on the left side.
If it’s a glassy rattle, could be a loose guide rail, or a loose regulator. Or just a pesky wire that got rattled loose making noise in the door. Heard muffled rattles in Mercedes, caddy’s and Audis before, usually a wire for the switches or the window motor eventually taps something it’s next to, esp on California’s lovely and well maintained roads.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I've tried researching this, but I'm not able to find anything exactly like it. The Mazda dealership also hasn't encountered it before. Or maybe I'm just not using the correct keywords to describe the problem.

Recently bough a 2022 Mazda 3 FWD Carbon Edition and I'm hearing this ticking sound coming from the rear window (rear windshield?.. the big one with the defrosters). I've made the Mazda dealership aware, but if I don't have to make the 30 mile drive out there (was the only dealership selling at msrp) and spare myself the "we didn't find anything" response by fixing it myself that would obviously be preferred. It starts about a minute into driving if from a cold start, instantly if I've only had it parked while I'm shopping or something. Doesn't matter if the road is flat or bumpy, it's still there. It's more constant when on an expressway.

I've attached the sound file for it. There's road noise, but you should still be able to clearly hear it in the background. It's maddening. The car is absolutely amazing, but it's hard to enjoy with this constant soul stabbing ticking and you can only blast music so loud for so long before it gives you a headache.

Yesterday I had someone drive for me while I was in the back, half in the trunk and half on the folded down seats and from what I can tell it's coming from the rear window. The space there is pretty narrow and my head is bald and massive so I wasn't able to fully get my ear back in there, but it seems like the window. MAYBE it's from the C pillars and bouncing off the window? But to have the same sound on both C pillars seems a bit rare and I don't hear it when strictly focusing on the C pillars themselves as the sound still seems like it's coming from... beyond them, if that makes any sense. I guess either window or somewhere on the sides of the rear speaker assembly area.

The absolutely annoying thing about this is that I am not able to replicate it when the car is stopped. When it's moving I have not been able to find a place where if I apply pressure the noise stops.

What I've checked before taking the ride yesterday:
- Seatbelts - had them fully pulled out, wiggled them around, etc - nothing.
- Seats themselves - had the folded down - sound still present.
- Weather stripping on the rear doors - removed it, sound still present.
- Removing the styrofoam around the spare didn't help.
- Tried padding around the plastic panels in the trunk area a bit, but that did nothing.
- Checked every panel I could in the trunk while the car was moving and parked, but not able to replicate the same sound.
- Cant replicate the sound by applying pressure to the rear window when parked.

Any help is appreciated!
I truly feel your pain. It is, as you said, "maddening." Unfortunately, my 2022 Mazda 3 also started making all kinds of small, but nonetheless irritating, rattles. They came from the b pillars, the glove compartment, the dash, and who knows where else. It's really sad, because the car rides well, handles very nicely and has a good engine. For those who don't care that much about nuisance noises, it's a great car, but for me, these sounds have truly created anxiety. Alas, I had to trade last week. I bought a Lexus UX and now I finally have peace and quiet. Mazda really needs to address these build quality issues. Zoom, zoom is great, but not at the expense of a solid, quiet ride.

I hope you can find a solution, so that you can enjoy your car

Upvote 0
Back