2022 CX-5?

Or maybe wait for the CX-50 to arrive so you can compare it as well?
….currently don’t have a vehicle, or else I’d absolutely wait to check that one out. The torsion beam rear was mentioned earlier, and I have to admit that I wish all of their platforms were IRS.

I drove a ‘21 Mazda3 Turbo for a few months and while it was an excellent car overall, the rear was indeed a bit crashy over rough surfaces and bumps.

I just posted this in another forum about the seats and a bit more....

I just sat in the ‘22 for a bit and then did the drive. Regarding softness of the cushioning, I didn’t feel any noticeable difference in the base or the bolsters.

What I think may have been modified is how the angle of the base can be adjusted. It sinks a bit lower in the butt area than the now-former Touring model and the front part that’s under your thighs angles a bit more upwards.

Caveat: I haven’t sat extensively in former GT+ models and what I just experienced may well be the same as those.

In any case, for those of us hoping the cushions were better, they really aren’t. :/

….still a gorgeous ride for what it is.

Oh, and regarding back seat size, it’s not that much bigger than the CX-30’s back seat. I had the driver’s seat all the way back and down and when I sat behind that seat, my knees were well-pressed into its back. That makes almost no difference to me since I don’t have a family. The headroom makes it feel bigger than it really is.

Anyway, now to decide if I want the 5 or the 30; I really am torn. It’s to the point where I might let my lady decide. The 5’s interior, while now older, still has such a great/modern/classic/solid look/feel to it. The 30’s interior is pretty undeniable and a kind of desirable snugness. The 30 NA’s transmission feel isn’t that good and that matters. (I know the turbo’s is a bit better….not going for the turbo)

Have any of you driven both and have an opinion?
I have both the CX5 and the 30, both NA and AWD. The cargo space is tight on the 30, but I think it drives considerably better due to the lighter weight. Overall, I find the 30 more responsive, and I like the feel of it as the handling is more neutral, while the CX5 feels more like a FWD biased SUV to me. On the twisty roads, or getting onto the highway, I prefer the 30, but the CX5 is a better choice to live with every day if it is going to be your only vehicle.

I have both the CX5 and the 30, both NA and AWD. The cargo space is tight on the 30, but I think it drives considerably better due to the lighter weight. Overall, I find the 30 more responsive, and I like the feel of it as the handling is more neutral, while the CX5 feels more like a FWD biased SUV to me. On the twisty roads, or getting onto the highway, I prefer the 30, but the CX5 is a better choice to live with every day if it is going to be your only vehicle.
It is amazing how much weight impacts how a car handles. We have a 2021 CX-9 and a 2021 CX-5, both with the 2.5T. When I go from the CX-9, which I think handles well, to the CX-5 it is like going to a track car. And I also spend lots of time in a Mazda 3 with a 2.5T and that car is just amazing.

It is amazing how much weight impacts how a car handles. We have a 2021 CX-9 and a 2021 CX-5, both with the 2.5T. When I go from the CX-9, which I think handles well, to the CX-5 it is like going to a track car.
Now imagine what it's like when I take out my 2011 Miata after driving the CX5 - more fun than you think could be possible with 167 HP and probably only about 140 at the wheels

Now imagine what it's like when I take out my 2011 Miata after driving the CX5 - more fun than you think could be possible with 167 HP and probably only about 140 at the wheels
Yeah, they look like fun. Too bad they only make them to fit small people. :(

….currently don’t have a vehicle, or else I’d absolutely wait to check that one out. The torsion beam rear was mentioned earlier, and I have to admit that I wish all of their platforms were IRS.

I drove a ‘21 Mazda3 Turbo for a few months and while it was an excellent car overall, the rear was indeed a bit crashy over rough surfaces and bumps.
The cx5 is overall larger; wheelbase, length, etc. If you don't need the rear space the cx30 is probably about the same 'up front'.

I have a co-worker in his mid to late 50's. Big fancy Silverado is the daily driver, a Saturn Sky for tooling around in the summer, a VW bug dune buggy and some other toys. Had his truck in the shop fixing deer collision damage and had a 2021 GTR loaner. He loved it. Said it was faster than the Saturn. What he really liked was the seat entry height. He couldn't believe he could turn and sit right in the drivers seat without ducking his head. His truck he has to step up, the roadster is low and he needs to duck. Ergonomics, especially for the little bit older folks can make a big difference.

It is amazing how much weight impacts how a car handles. We have a 2021 CX-9 and a 2021 CX-5, both with the 2.5T. When I go from the CX-9, which I think handles well, to the CX-5 it is like going to a track car. And I also spend lots of time in a Mazda 3 with a 2.5T and that car is just amazing.
Totally get it. The old Lamborghini plan to tell the engineers to "Add lightness" as they designed the car.

Oh, and regarding back seat size, it’s not that much bigger than the CX-30’s back seat. I had the driver’s seat all the way back and down and when I sat behind that seat, my knees were well-pressed into its back. That makes almost no difference to me since I don’t have a family. The headroom makes it feel bigger than it really is.

Anyway, now to decide if I want the 5 or the 30; I really am torn. It’s to the point where I might let my lady decide. The 5’s interior, while now older, still has such a great/modern/classic/solid look/feel to it. The 30’s interior is pretty undeniable and a kind of desirable snugness. The 30 NA’s transmission feel isn’t that good and that matters. (I know the turbo’s is a bit better….not going for the turbo)

If you have not already seen the moose test videos, check them out. Major difference in performance, handing, and squealing tires. The CX-5 in the video also uses a diesel engine weighing 240 pounds over the NA 2.5L CX-5.

I suggest turning the volume up and listening to the difference in the slalom.

Last edited:
19 inch wheels. Thats the equivalent model
of the GT from prior years.
the local dealers started to have few cars already.
The interior is exactly the same as 2021. Only difference is on the outside front and rear mostly and the new wheels.

E5C02CBA-F8C6-4CB6-9E6D-38F03361D510.jpeg
9D2A5370-2B5A-4EAD-A4C9-48124358181B.jpeg

Hi!
I recently graduated from university and I've been shopping for a new car for the last couple of months. Although one might say a sporty hatchback would be a better choice for me, I've been looking at SUVs. I checked the RAV4, the Escape, the CRV as well as the Tucson; and the CX-5 was the last car I checked out.
I walked in, saw the CX-5, went for a quick test drive, chose a trim level (GT in Canada), paid the deposit, and left. The whole ordeal took around an hour. Paying MSRP; and they also gave me a pretty decent deal on winter tires and rims. Hopefully I'll pick up the car on February 15th.
First of all, the design. In my opinion it looks better than any other compact SUV -- inside and outside. Secondly, the material quality. It's soft-touch everywhere. I'm currently driving a RAV4 (rental) and it feels really cheap compared to the CX-5.
Although nice to have, I don't think I need 360 degree cameras or parking sensors; and aside from the infotainment screen not being touch; it has everything I am looking for, and more.
It has the naturally aspirated 2.5 engine, and it has more than enough power for me. This is an old fashioned way of thinking, but it's a nice plus for me that it's made in Japan (although this has more to do with Mazda being a smaller manufacturer)

Anyways, I didn't want to start a new thread for this; just wanted to share my excitement.

The interior is exactly the same as 2021. Only difference is on the outside front and rear mostly and the new wheels.

that's great that they finally realized how bad cx5 looked in painted wheels
the ones on this '22 resemble the ones I had on '16 GT with tech, those looked super cool
but mine are even better now, machined with black gloss is perfect fit for a black and white car

First of all, the design. In my opinion it looks better than any other compact SUV -- inside and outside.
totally agreed
willingly or not Mazda has taken this niche, the most consistently styled models in lineup
hopefully this strategy will keep them afloat, a lot is going to change with the switch to EVs

The cargo area has changed at least on some trims and on the Mazda Canada website, they mention a reversible trunk board as part of a package (scroll down on link below).

At about 3 minutes in the video below, I can see the side storage bins are larger, there is a handle to open the underfloor compartment and there are more storage bins molded around the spare tire; this would certainly correct the lack of storage which is one the things I don't like about my CX-5 . Not sure where they put the jack and related tools...

Last edited:

View attachment 306598View attachment 306599
Thanks for the great pics! Higher trims have a new wireless charging pad and the cargo area has changed as I mentioned just before; seems to be the only little changes to the interior.

I can’t see the 2021 holding the Fort for months…likely we’ll see a carryover 2022 with very minor changes, if any.
Have you read the thread? The already released '22 model has updated front and rear facia's, standard AWD (in the US) and some other minor detail changes.

I saw tens to a hundred of 2022 CX5s in transit to my local dealer.
They already got a turbo and a few lower end trims.

Back