2022 CX-5 Looking for a plug and play trailer harness

I have a 2022 CX-5 S "preferred". I am looking for a "plug and play" wiring adapter for the trailer lights (no cutting and not power line runs) I can find them for the 2021, but I cant seem to find a harness for the 2022 that doesnt require a power line running up to the battery. Does anyone have any info on this? It seems so odd that 2021 CX-5 adapters can be found easily (and cheaply) but for the 2022 model, accessories seem to be hard to find. Are there wiring changes from 2021 -> 2022? Some websites that sell harnesses state "not confirmed to work with the 2022 CX-5" as if it, could work.. just no confirmation has been made.

It just occurred to me. There is a 12 power receptacle in the cargo area. I can't see how that wouldn't be a nice power source alternative to running a wire across the car to the battery.

Am I missing something?

I think the reason the folks who make the wiring harness use a separate dedicated power line run directly to the battery is to avoid any issues with all of the various control modules by adding trailer lights to the car.

As far as using that rear 12v power outlet for your power source, it has a 10amp rating and is unpowered with the ignition off. So that may or may not be enough power for your trailer equipment and nothing will work unless ignition is acc or on.

I have heard of people using that outlet for power. I chose to run dedicated wiring to the battery with 15amp service for my installation. Wasn't that difficult.

Back