2022 CX-5 CE non Bose factory audio amplifier upgrade

Non Bose system. Looking to upgrade factory amp to something with some more power. Leaving factory door speakers for now, not adding a sub. Any recommendations? Sound quality? Can factory door speakers handle more power? Any advice would be great. 2022 CX-5

Can't go wrong with Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, Alpine, or even Mmats. Also check out D'Amore Engineering. The D'Amore amps are straight up incredible at that price point. (Tony D'Amore was the lead engineer for Rockford back in the late 90's and early 00's).

Factory door speakers can handle more power, but not too much more. Just make sure you don't blast your volume. xD Your speakers will tell you as you approach those limits though. You'll hear static/distortion, etc. Regarding amp, can agree with theblooms. I'd just add in hi level input w/ auto on/off to make install easier and no need for remote wire.

I probably won't go past 50-75 watts per channel for those door speakers. 50 watts are plenty for factory paper speakers.

I just upgraded my door speakers in my 2021 CX-5. I was surprised just how flimsy the factory non-Bose speakers are.

The common design is to have less expensive, lower efficiency (say 86 to 89 dB/w/m) speakers that inherently have limited frequency response on both ends. Then, the head unit has built-in filters, especially for low bass, to protect the speakers. Expect the OEM speakers to be 86 to 88 dB/w/m. Mine were. The Blose door woofers are about 83 dB.

You will get more by installing larger, more efficient speakers. Just changing to 3 dB greater efficiency speakers is like doubling your amp power. +6 dB would be like going from 20 watts stock to 80 watts in a new amp. Your new speakers will tolerate much more power later, if you still need an amp.

Ultimately you may want to change the head unit of the non-blose system because of the filters mentioned.

There is very little music below the 41 Hz open E on a bass, unless you are into pipe organ. Even dub-step doesn't get below 50 or 55 Hz. The pro subs used to play it are commonly -10 dB at 30 Hz. So concentrate on getting flat response to about 40 Hz and don't worry about the rest.

Back