2021 vs 2020 CX-5 Signature?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
It's easy enough to google difference 2020 vs 2021, but the Signature has some features not found on lower trims, so the search specifically for difference, besides the larger screen, is a bit harder to find on the 2020 Signature vs 2021 Signature. So, are there any? I think back-up braking avoidance maybe? Anything else

Also better cameras, the bigger screen you noted, infotainment upgrades over 2020, mazda connect + remote start, etc

But dont forget/discount the Turbo badge. Makes it go faster :)

2020 has the Turbo badge.

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing something fairly stupid - There's a dealer with the car/color I like and could probably make the swap of my 3300 mile 2020 Signature to his 2021 Signature for maybe less than $6,000 at least according to his website price and the KBB site it directs me to. I bought my 2020 Signature from him for an insane price of $33,000 after various incentives and total before TT&L, and according to their KBB directed website it seem that they would give me $33,000 - though I've never seen a dealer give KBB trade-in value - but who knows, it was their website that directed me there. So next to no depreciation, but there is the increase sales price.

I know the finance aspect so no one has to preach to me about spending another $6,000 for mostly the same car. But, does anyone want to talk me in to, or out of this half-baked idea? Oh, then add another $1,700 to get a full front PPF.

But, does anyone want to talk me in to, or out of this half-baked idea?
I say don't do it.

I've been a chronic car shopper all my life & have lost count of the "what ifs". Usually it involves something entirely different. Other than maybe a different color if you take into account what the trade gets you, you still have mostly the same vehicle.

When I get a case of the "what ifs" I ask myself, "What is it about my current vehicle that I'm happy with?" I have a 2019 GTR with 6500 miles. The only thing I would change is the infotainment system & screen size. Then I look at the price I payed pre-pandemic & tell myself I'm rather happy overall with what I have. I had the opportunity to replace my GTR with something else or even just change the color when my first one was rear ended & totaled. I bought the exact same color GTR to replace it.

To each his own. I can look back at a few instances like you are describing. Some I'm happy with, some I regret. I'm recently retired & fortunately have better control of my "what ifs" then when I was younger.

If you've got money to burn....

Id also say not to do it

My wife has a 2020 GT to my 2021 sig, and I dont like driving hers in part because of the screen and the gui and the lowres backup camera. It is noticeable when i jump between our cars (not just the differences between GT and Sig)

But I cant say I would spend 6k to upgrade between a 2020 sig and 2021. There's not enough extra meat there. Particularly with as elevated as new car prices are right now

Is there any price diff that would tempt you? Lets dream and say he'd give me $33k for my 2020 Signature and sell me the 2021 for $36K or $37k?

Is there any price diff that would tempt you? Lets dream and say he'd give me $33k for my 2020 Signature and sell me the 2021 for $36K or $37k?
There’s news from Asia that the 3rd-gen CX-5, supposedly will be shown in LA Auto Show this winter, will have SkyActiv-G 3.0L I-6, or even 282 hp / 340 Nm (251 ft-lb) SkyActiv-X 3.0L I-6 available for 2022 CX-5. The news also says that the SkyActiv-X 3.0L will be on a RWD or AWD platform and call it CX-50.

If I were you I’d wait and see what Mazda North American Operations will offer to US customers in 2022.

133C384E-614F-4005-B713-7393A42B3758.png

929331A5-E34D-4595-B6B7-CF4850E3450F.png

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's going to be at least a $40,000 car for the top trip (got to have my 360 camera). Also, if that elongated back (see top picture above) is anything close to actual production - Meh, looks way generic and like almost everything else now

Anyway, I spoke to the dealer today and answered that awful question - "what do we have to do to make the deal today?", My answer "$3,000 difference between my 15 month old 2020 Signature and your new 2021 Signature. - I figured that was stupid crazy enough. - he'll call me back today. I originally financed $12k over 36 months and it would basically reset that back again to $12k for 3 years or I could just put another $3,000 down and have just 2 years left at about $300/mo.

He was able to get the net difference down to $5,100. Not terrible, but not quite enough for me to pull the trigger.

I went on MazdaUSA.com and used their Compare tool.

It looks like the main differences are:

- Remote Engine Start on Mazda Connected Services smart device only (vs keyfob on 2020)
- Mobile Hotspot on 2021
- Bigger screen on 2021
- Vehicle Tracker (assuming this is like a theft deterrent of some sort)
- Driver Attention Alert
- 11 lbs heavier

I went on MazdaUSA.com and used their Compare tool.

It looks like the main differences are:

- Remote Engine Start on Mazda Connected Services smart device only (vs keyfob on 2020)
- Mobile Hotspot on 2021
- Bigger screen on 2021
- Vehicle Tracker (assuming this is like a theft deterrent of some sort)
- Driver Attention Alert
- 11 lbs heavier
Reverse smart braking as well. 2020 only has the alert.

This comment is just my personal experience with the 2021 Signature.

I first went for the Signature. I was able to see both Sig. and Res. hand on hand at the dealership. I drove the Sig and loved every bit of it.. but then when I drove the Res. honestly I didn't see much of a difference. Besides Caturra Leather which is a fine detail (in my oppinion) the options offered on the Sig doesn't match the pricetag if you compare it with the Res. IMHO the only addon and I would say 'depending' how skilled driver you are and could be helpful at any given scenario is the parking sensors (or the 360 cam if you're not too skilled in parking a vehicle)

Other than that my Res. has same engine turbo and turbo badge, same Bose audio system, Remote Engine Start on Mazda Connected Services smart device only, AT&T Hotspot (wish I could use T-Mobile) and recently knew you could install the frameless rearview mirror which is the same, but 'frameless" The rest is just not worth the pricetag.

He was able to get the net difference down to $5,100. Not terrible, but not quite enough for me to pull the trigger.
He texted me back asking where we would need to be to do the deal. I'm tempted to tell him the same "$3,000 net difference" (before TTL), doubt he'll be able to find another $2,100 to deduct

He texted me back asking where we would need to be to do the deal. I'm tempted to tell him the same "$3,000 net difference" (before TTL), doubt he'll be able to find another $2,100 to deduct
But what's the harm in trying?
The fact he texted you back shows that the $5100 left some wiggle room. I agree the $3000 is a stretch but I'd still love to know how low they'd go :cool:.

Reverse smart braking as well. 2020 only has the alert.

Yep you're right. I went through the builder for the 2020 and the 2021, and only the 21 lists "Smart City Brake Support-Reverse" in the list of standard features for the Signature trim. Nice catch.

But what's the harm in trying?
The fact he texted you back shows that the $5100 left some wiggle room. I agree the $3000 is a stretch but I'd still love to know how low they'd go :cool:.
I know, but the question Still Remains, is it worth three or four thousand additional for the newer model? I know it's an individual decision

I would say no, even for $3k. But that's just me

I doubt it too. It doesn't take higher math to see that the dealer would have to put your trade on the lot for $2,000 less than a new one to make even a $1,000 on the deal. That dog wouldn't hunt even if the trade qualified as certified pre-owned. Even if you finance at the dealer their commission is not all that much with interest rates where they are.

Your best shot at getting close to that $3.000 would have been month or quarter end if the dealer needed to make the sale to qualify for a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive. No telling which dealers and when if any locally. If you can't get to the deal you want tell him to call you at the end of the month if the car is available and he must make a sale. That might piss him off but if you wouldn't make the deal anyway it can't hurt.

One other possibility is if the turbo CX-5 trims are dropped with the release of the V-6 CX-50. By then the pickings might be slim or non-existent and there's no telling if that will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say no, even for $3k. But that's just me
And I understand, there's no wrong answer it's a personal choice. But I also look at it this way, people asked the question, "if I could buy a new 2020 for $3,000-$4,009 less than a new 2021, which should I get?" Kind of a similar but different way to look at the same sing period

Back