2021 CX-5 Seat heater question

azcx5

2021 GT-R SRCM with Parchment
I have a 2021 CX-5 GT-R, 22,000 miles. My wife has been complaining that it takes too long for the passenger seat to warm up when the seat heater is turned on, even on high. So today i finally checked it out. The drivers seat seems to heat up to where it is noticeable in about 30 seconds but the passenger seat takes over a minute longer before heat is detected. Does anyone else notice this? The dealer said to bring it in next week and they would look at it but would like to have a feeling if this is common before they start tearing into the seats.

Let's diagnose this case of seat "warm-up lag".......
azcx5's 2012 driver's seat heat: takes ~30 seconds.
azcx5's passenger seat heat: takes >60 secs.
skid00skid0's 2016: "takes a few *minutes*".

Conclusion
azcx5 could either:
1) Rewire the passenger seat heater circuit, using slightly lower resistance wire
2) Warm-up the vehicle for >60 seconds
3) Warm-up vehicle ~30 seconds, & let the wife drive it

YMMV 🥵

I'm actually going to go measure how fast the seats heat up for a better comparison (laser temp gun) before taking it to the shop this week. The real problem is that my wife sits in the passenger seat a lot when it is cold out cause i drive often. I'm comfortable, but she's not. And you all know what it means when mamma ain't happy.:unsure:

Oh, she does. And she drives, but she does have some health issues that limit her driving. So when we are out together, esp if the weather is bad, I do the driving.

I consider the seat heaters in my 2015 just basic warmers. They never get really that warm and that would be like 20-30 minutes into a drive. The ones in my Infiniti are only marginally better… but the ones in my Lexus I have to turn down as they get hot.

I have a 2021 CX-5 GT-R, 22,000 miles. My wife has been complaining that it takes too long for the passenger seat to warm up when the seat heater is turned on, even on high. So today i finally checked it out. The drivers seat seems to heat up to where it is noticeable in about 30 seconds but the passenger seat takes over a minute longer before heat is detected. Does anyone else notice this? The dealer said to bring it in next week and they would look at it but would like to have a feeling if this is common before they start tearing into the seats.
The heated seats on my 2016 CX-5 are marginal at best. Both of them warm very slowly and will never feel hot even at the maximum heating setup. My 2000 BMW 528i and previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX both heat up within a couple of minutes, then I’ve to turn the heat down afterward.

In your case you can argue with the dealer that the heating performance is different between driver seat and passenger seat. The dealer should do something to the weaker heating passenger seat. There’s a TSB for inferior heated seats on earlier MY CX-5’s, so it won’t help you to your 2021 CX-5.

Let's diagnose this case of seat "warm-up lag".......
azcx5's 2012 driver's seat heat: takes ~30 seconds.
azcx5's passenger seat heat: takes >60 secs.
skid00skid0's 2016: "takes a few *minutes*".

Conclusion
azcx5 could either:
1) Rewire the passenger seat heater circuit, using slightly lower resistance wire
2) Warm-up the vehicle for >60 seconds
3) Warm-up vehicle ~30 seconds, & let the wife drive it

YMMV 🥵

You're not serious about #1 are you?

Slightly lower resistance wire? Even if the finest super cooled super conductive wire was used it would make zero noticeable difference.

You're not serious about #1 are you?

Slightly lower resistance wire? Even if the finest super cooled super conductive wire was used it would make zero noticeable difference.
I wonder if you wouldn't actually want to rewire the seat with higher resistance wire...

You don't really know how electrical stuff works, do you?
I know how some 'electrical stuff' works, but other 'electrical stuff' is more of a mystery to me.

My understanding is if a wire has higher resistance, then it'll generate more heat. If the section of heater circuit wire we're talking about is the part that actually generates the seat heat, then my guess would be that higher resistance wire is what you'd want. But I think that resistance can change in a resistive element as it heats up, so I may be wrong.

If we're talking about the wiring that feeds the heating elements, then I would think the lowest resistance wire available (within reason) is what you'd want.

I'd love to hear from someone who really knows this stuff, tho. It's a bit humbling to publicly bear my ignorance like this.

I know how some 'electrical stuff' works, but other 'electrical stuff' is more of a mystery to me.

My understanding is if a wire has higher resistance, then it'll generate more heat. If the section of heater circuit wire we're talking about is the part that actually generates the seat heat, then my guess would be that higher resistance wire is what you'd want. But I think that resistance can change in a resistive element as it heats up, so I may be wrong.

If we're talking about the wiring that feeds the heating elements, then I would think the lowest resistance wire available (within reason) is what you'd want.

I'd love to hear from someone who really knows this stuff, tho. It's a bit humbling to publicly bear my ignorance like this.

Your understanding is correct, mostly.

You spoke of rewiring the seat with high resistance wire, NOT replacing the heating section. I assumed that you were talking of the wires that feed the seat heater not the heater itself.

Back