2021 CX-5 GT AWD - Normal Engine sound?

Hi, new member here, apologies if this has been already discussed.

I purchased a new 2021 CX5 Grand Touring AWD a couple of weeks ago. A few days after the purchase, I noticed the engine and tailpipe making some noticeable sounds like a jackhammer, even at idle. I guess I didn't notice this on the test drive. Are these sounds normal? I thought I needed to break the car in more, but even at 500 miles, these sounds are still there. For reference, a good friend of mine has the exact same car (has put about ~5000 miles on it so far) and their car sounds a lot smoother near the engine and tailpipe. I am a little concerned that something is off...

Video of engine. Jackhammer-like sound coming from driver-side (US orientation) of the engine. As video pans left towards the passenger side, you'll hear the softer but higher pitched tap-tap-tap sound coming from the pulley area:

Video of tailpipe. You can hear the jackhammer-like sound coming through:

Appreciate your thoughts on this! Many thanks...

Yes, for the tailpipe. That is how it sounds. prr prr prr :)

The engine bay sounds normal too but bear in mind the sound from phones is distorted so hard to really tell. I bet it's lot quieter when it heats up and hood closed.

Check the oil level on cold engine and congrats on the new car.

Hi, new member here, apologies if this has been already discussed.

I purchased a new 2021 CX5 Grand Touring AWD a couple of weeks ago. A few days after the purchase, I noticed the engine and tailpipe making some noticeable sounds like a jackhammer, even at idle. I guess I didn't notice this on the test drive. Are these sounds normal? I thought I needed to break the car in more, but even at 500 miles, these sounds are still there. For reference, a good friend of mine has the exact same car (has put about ~5000 miles on it so far) and their car sounds a lot smoother near the engine and tailpipe. I am a little concerned that something is off...

Video of engine. Jackhammer-like sound coming from driver-side (US orientation) of the engine. As video pans left towards the passenger side, you'll hear the softer but higher pitched tap-tap-tap sound coming from the pulley area:

Video of tailpipe. You can hear the jackhammer-like sound coming through:

Appreciate your thoughts on this! Many thanks...
IMO your engine does have some weird higher frequency noise than others we’ve heard here from the video:

2018 CX-5 GT Ticking

CX-5 engine rattle

Those videos posted mostly have valve tapping or knocking noise from cylinder head with lower frequencies. The noise is due to failed Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLA) based on the SA and TSBs on 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. Your engine definitely has no valve tapping noise but with extra highter frequency noise. As the sound from tailpipe I can’t hear anything different.

You can ask to compare the engine sound side by side with any other new 2021 CX-5’s 2.5L at your dealership. That’s the best way to figure out if there’s anything wrong on your brand new engine.

With my 2019 GT-Reserve with only about 10,200 miles on it I get a ticking sound from the engine until I have driven about a mile and the temp gauge needle has moved a few degrees. It has been that way since new. I usually let it warm up for a minute before backing out of the driveway and then drive like a granny for about a mile. After that, the engine is smooth and quiet. I don 't worry about it. Should I or is that about what others are experiencing ? I am running the correct 5W-30 oil, and Mobil 1 synthetic at that.

With my 2019 GT-Reserve with only about 10,200 miles on it I get a ticking sound from the engine until I have driven about a mile and the temp gauge needle has moved a few degrees. It has been that way since new. I usually let it warm up for a minute before backing out of the driveway and then drive like a granny for about a mile. After that, the engine is smooth and quiet. I don 't worry about it. Should I or is that about what others are experiencing ? I am running the correct 5W-30 oil, and Mobil 1 synthetic at that.
The key is whatever the “ticking” noise you have will be gone after the engine has warmed up. OP’s engine is having that extra higher frequency “jackhammer” or ticking noise even the engine is warm and won’t disappear. Although it seems to be the high-pressure fuel injector noise, but it‘s definitely too loud from my experience.

If I were you I’d try some different 5W-30 oil or newer GF-6 oil such as Idemitsu SP/GF-6 5W-30 oil and see if the initial ticking / tapping / knocking noise can be reduced to minimum.

342C633D-B1A3-4E75-BEDF-123115ABB6F2.png

I am running the newest formulation of Mobil 1 EP (Extended Protection) 5W-30 oil. According to Mobil, it meets the latest GF6A rating.
I was getting the same ticking at startup when running the previous oil which was Castrol Edge which is their top grade synthetic. Perhaps I will try the Idemitsu oil next time.

I am running the newest formulation of Mobil 1 EP (Extended Protection) 5W-30 oil. According to Mobil, it meets the latest GF6A rating.
I was getting the same ticking at startup when running the previous oil which was Castrol Edge which is their top grade synthetic. Perhaps I will try the Idemitsu oil next time.
So you’re having OP’s higher frequency ticking noise before switched to Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 oil? Interesting ⋯ :unsure:

Please keep us posted if you ever decide to switch different oil for the engine noise when cold.

I don't hear anything unusual. Your cell phone mic emphasizes high frequencies, I am hearing the injectors click and maybe your valve clearance is a little wider than mine, but all normal.

What do you expect a low restriction exhause to sound like?

That honestly sounds like the cams are smacking the valves. Exhaust noise is also not normal at least compared to mine. I would have that diagnosed asap. Sounds like something the in valve train is off.

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I took the car to the dealer's service center last week and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the engine. They offered me a new 2021 CX5 GT to compare with. The engine of the new one sounded similar and in fact seems higher pitched and ticks with faster frequency...? The exhaust tail pipe sound also seemed in the ballpark as mine (but a little softer), but then again, someone was mowing the lawn across from the dealership, so I couldn't get a quiet environment to carefully listen to it. Here is the video; let me know your thoughts:

The only thing they did do was do a high speed road balancing of my Toyo tires, which did make the ride a lot smoother and seemed to make the idle a little less rough somehow (and I drove another 350 miles after that without issue, except for some bumpiness coming from the back wheels). Harmonic effect? I guess I will have to keep observing it...?

Last edited:
That honestly sounds like the cams are smacking the valves. Exhaust noise is also not normal at least compared to mine. I would have that diagnosed asap. Sounds like something the in valve train is off.

Thanks for the reply. Gosh, I hope this isn't the case. I did take a video of another new CX5 GT 2021 at the dealership and recorded this video on the same cellphone as I did my first videos above. It seems that it ticks at even a higher frequency than mine? I'm not sure what's going on -- if that's just how the car sounds or whether something is up in a batch of CX-5s?

Back