2021.5 CX-9 Vibration at Highway Speeds

Update to the saga. Mazda is having their master technician drive/fly down from Seattle to investigate the cause of the vibration. 100% the 2021 loaner CX-9 Signature I am driving vibrates the exact same way around 65-75 mph. IMO it's a design/assembly line or driveline flaw. I bet there's tons more cars with same problem and either the owner doesn't notice or care or was lucky enough to not get a lemon. I'll report back what the 'master' technician finds.

It'll be cheaper for them to just change the two rear CVs than fly Buddy boy down and put him up in a hotel for two days....

All they need to do it put it up on the lift and drive the wheels at that speed to recreate. Unreal and obsurd. No competence anywhere anymore.

I also noticed i have the car vibrate for the first 5 minutes symptoms on my 2018 but it seems to go away after that. (Edit: i am on the Falken tires)

mod edit: spam links removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I also noticed i have the car vibrate for the first 5 minutes symptoms on my 2018 but it seems to go away after that. (Edit: i am on the Falken tires)

Sounds like it's the tires flatspotting after sitting for a while. There were a few reports of that happening as well. You could try increasing the tire pressure a few PSI to see if that helps, otherwise you'd need to get new tires to fix the problem.

I had this problem as well. Turned out to be the rear CV shafts needed to be replaced. Read the entire thread on vibrations issues...

Hi guys!!! i have the CX-9 2021 GT, and have the same issues... dealer changes tires for Michellin but still with the same problem.. I has been there about 6 times... also they work on my car for about 30 days and give a loaner cx-92021gt, and still the same vibration and shaking... it is terrible with this car.. i have 4 mazda cx3, cx30, cx5 and cx9... (problemas only cx9) but i am very frustrated .

Update to the saga. Mazda is having their master technician drive/fly down from Seattle to investigate the cause of the vibration. 100% the 2021 loaner CX-9 Signature I am driving vibrates the exact same way around 65-75 mph. IMO it's a design/assembly line or driveline flaw. I bet there's tons more cars with same problem and either the owner doesn't notice or care or was lucky enough to not get a lemon. I'll report back what the 'master' technician finds.
Hi, any problems solve? still with vibrations and shaking in the car cx-9 2021

Hi guys!!! i have the CX-9 2021 GT, and have the same issues... dealer changes tires for Michellin but still with the same problem.. I has been there about 6 times... also they work on my car for about 30 days and give a loaner cx-92021gt, and still the same vibration and shaking... it is terrible with this car.. i have 4 mazda cx3, cx30, cx5 and cx9... (problemas only cx9) but i am very frustrated .
I hear you! My little one got sick from the vibrations so much so that we carry vomit bags when in the Mazda..(btw, the bags are not needed in our other vehicle, VW!!)

The vibrations were much better after the two rear CVs were changed by Mazda under warranty. (The service manager @ the dealer was nice enough to try it but indicated he will not go searching for anything additional if it didn't work)... I crossed my fingers and toes...

For a flagship, quite disappointed tbh. My first and likely last Mazda.

Goodluck!

I hear you! My little one got sick from the vibrations so much so that we carry vomit bags when in the Mazda..(btw, the bags are not needed in our other vehicle, VW!!)

The vibrations were much better after the two rear CVs were changed by Mazda under warranty. (The service manager @ the dealer was nice enough to try it but indicated he will not go searching for anything additional if it didn't work)... I crossed my fingers and toes...

For a flagship, quite disappointed tbh. My first and likely last Mazda.

Goodluck!
thank You!!!.. so you change the car... ? to VW?

I had this as well with my 2018 Signature. I had a new set Falkens put on after the first set wore out. I haven’t had the problem since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a shop that has a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine via Google and get the wheels balanced there if all else fails. If the issue has anything to do with wheels out of balance it should address that problem. I would try that before making any radical decisions regarding replacing a vehicle, particularly now with prices being so insane.

thank You!!!.. so you change the car... ? to VW?
No we still have the CX but also the VW.. was just trying to say the kid only got sick in the CX not there VW.. the issue with the vibrations is completely resolved after both rear CV shafts were changed by the dealer .

Find a shop that has a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine via Google and get the wheels balanced there if all else fails. If the issue has anything to do with wheels out of balance it should address that problem. I would try that before making any radical decisions regarding replacing a vehicle, particularly now with prices being so insane.
Very true.
With me, I had two sets of tires on two sets of rims with the same result (heavy vibrations at any speed above 80kms/hr).
Had both sets of tires and rims (one winter one summer, both new) balanced using the road force with vibrations still present and marginally better...

Saw another post here that said it could be the rest CV shafts as they had the same issues-- I can confirm that was also my problem. I've had the car since brand new from Mazda...

As someone with the 2022 Signature on my shortlist, my question for you all is - do you know this to be a problem on the 2022's as well? Best I can tell is that the most recent model discussed here is the 2021.5 - wondering if they sorted that out?

840, take the car you like for a test drive including at speed on a smooth highway. That is the only way to know for sure that the car you might buy is OK and meets your needs.

I've seen dealers suggest a test drive on the smoothest road in the region. That's good in this case hunting for vibrations that come from somewhere in the car. Also drive on bad pavement and a winding road if you can find one. That's a way to sample other attributes of the car.

840, take the car you like for a test drive including at speed on a smooth highway. That is the only way to know for sure that the car you might buy is OK and meets your needs.

I've seen dealers suggest a test drive on the smoothest road in the region. That's good in this case hunting for vibrations that come from somewhere in the car. Also drive on bad pavement and a winding road if you can find one. That's a way to sample other attributes of the car.
Thanks for this info. I didn’t realize the problem was something happening right off the lot. I’ll definitely then push to test the actual model I would purchase. I test drove a 2022 GT (I think). Was surprised by how quickly it got to 80/90 mph when on the highway.

Back