2021.5 CX-9 Vibration at Highway Speeds

I had a similar problem with one of the shock absorbers after it lost all fluid. It was fine driving at low speeds but it was more obvious when I hit a bump on the road. At highway speeds between 80-100km/h, vibrations were annoying until higher speed reached.

Damn you were riding on a spring eh. Must have been bouncing all over the place with a blown strut lol!

UPDATE:

Dropped the car off this morning to get the driveshafts replaced. Dealer sent me home in another Mazda 3 :ROFLMAO:

Service manager called me about an hour ago to notify me that they have fixed the problem. Will be picking up the car tomorrow around noon. Will let you guys know if that was actually the problem.

It's Monday now - will be back on Wednesday with results!

It's good that they found and fixed the problem. Driveshafts need to be in balance. Also, there is the small possibility of a manufacturing defect in the driveshaft or the universal joints at its ends.

UPDATE:

Driveshafts did not fix the vibration issue. However, the vibration is a bit different now - kinda feels front end.

Anyway, was only on the highway for 10 min this morning. Need more time to feel it out.
I am in contact with the service manager via email, I am surprised he is really trying to get to the bottom of this issue and is not trying to push me off.

Will be back with further updates.

SOLVED:

I can confirm 100% replacing the 2 rear CV driveshafts fixed the vibration issue. I no longer have speed specific vibrations on the highway! Best of luck to all others with vibration issues - I hope this information is useful in your resolution.

It is difficult to isolate the problem to the rear driveshafts as the car goes into limp mode with the rear shafts removed due to a speed sensor linked to the rear diff. My dealership bit the bullet, took the chance, and replaced the rear CV driveshafts as a last ditch effort and it paid off.

You may have had one defective CV joint. Replacing both saved the time and trouble of guessing which one was bad, although perhaps the bad one ran warmer than the other? Anyway, give your dealership's general manager thanks for the service manager who kept digging until they found your problem.

SOLVED:

I can confirm 100% replacing the 2 rear CV driveshafts fixed the vibration issue. I no longer have speed specific vibrations on the highway! Best of luck to all others with vibration issues - I hope this information is useful in your resolution.

It is difficult to isolate the problem to the rear driveshafts as the car goes into limp mode with the rear shafts removed due to a speed sensor linked to the rear diff. My dealership bit the bullet, took the chance, and replaced the rear CV driveshafts as a last ditch effort and it paid off.
Glad to hear! I called up my service manager and he's willing to replace under warranty as well based on reporting these vibrations early on and being on top of my service schedule. Will update on my results after its done as well..

Wow, glad you found the issue and I wonder if that was my issue as well. I may be getting back into a 9 in the near future so really glad you found the issue as the car was sweet ride and miss it.

So I'm still scheduled to replace the CV shafts later this month but wanted to provide an update on something else. Before doing the rear CV shafts I wanted to be damn sure it's not the stock tires/rims (falkens on 20's)... As they're known to be of crud quality.

I had a tire shop change my tires to the Michelin x-ice tires on steel rims (18inch) and also asked them to roadforce the winter set-- which they did.

Problem with vibrations still there. Visor, phone on the magnet, all seats, front mirror etc vibrates still in the same way. It's to the point where my six year old often vomits in the car from getting car sick (doesn't happen on our other older car that doesn't vibrate).
We've had this car since brand new and on top our oil changes (Pennzoil platinum) and all other maintenance at the dealer.

So now that by process of elimination I've ruled out the Falken tires, hopefully it's fixed with the rear CV shafts. If this is the case, Mazda ought to recall this and not give consumers the run around for years and force the community to come together in this way. Shouldn't expect this in a flagship.

Other than this, I do like the car very much... But this issue is enough for me to leave the company. Even if they put a loyalty credit in finance for returning customers on the table...

Will update you guys in two weeks or so.

🤞

I know that Falken isn't a premium tire brand, but mine have been very good. I don't have a lot of mileage on them, actually the snows get more miles, but the Falkens run smooth with no vibration or traction problems.

So I'm still scheduled to replace the CV shafts later this month but wanted to provide an update on something else. Before doing the rear CV shafts I wanted to be damn sure it's not the stock tires/rims (falkens on 20's)... As they're known to be of crud quality.

I had a tire shop change my tires to the Michelin x-ice tires on steel rims (18inch) and also asked them to roadforce the winter set-- which they did.

Problem with vibrations still there. Visor, phone on the magnet, all seats, front mirror etc vibrates still in the same way. It's to the point where my six year old often vomits in the car from getting car sick (doesn't happen on our other older car that doesn't vibrate).
We've had this car since brand new and on top our oil changes (Pennzoil platinum) and all other maintenance at the dealer.

So now that by process of elimination I've ruled out the Falken tires, hopefully it's fixed with the rear CV shafts. If this is the case, Mazda ought to recall this and not give consumers the run around for years and force the community to come together in this way. Shouldn't expect this in a flagship.

Other than this, I do like the car very much... But this issue is enough for me to leave the company. Even if they put a loyalty credit in finance for returning customers on the table...

Will update you guys in two weeks or so.

🤞
Any update?

SOLVED:

Hey guys...
Just wanted to provide an update to this as I was able to drive the car about 300 kms after the dealer replaced both rear cv's. Before I get to the good stuff, I want to personally thank cr8trface for documenting his encounters-- without it, we wouldn't have the info needed to resolve what is an obvious problem Mazda wouldn't acknowledge.

Read the entire thread for the full info. A quick synopsis.... after experiencing significant vibration whereby the front visors and front seat would visibly shake I thought it may have been unbalanced wheels. Balanced them at a shop using the typical balancing machines. No dice--still shook like a leaf.

Did some research and brought it to the attention of the dealer while under warranty (less than 20k kms, also purchased new directly from Mazda).
The service manager attributed the vibrations to just how Mazda develops and makes their cars, you know zoom zoom... Stiff suspension, low profile tires--developed to enhance road feel.
I simply didn't accept these reasons and offered a different explanation-- maybe something is off.

With no further help or explanation from the service manager at the Mazda dealership, I took the vehicle to a shop with a hunter road force balancer on my summer rims and tires (the falkens). They balanced it to acceptable spec and it was marginally better but still no dice. This told me it's not the rims or tires.
Again, the service manager at the Mazda dealer insisted it's probably the low profile stock wheels and said time and time again in a condescending way the car drives normally, which I didn't accept because I have NEVER had this experience in a vehicle before--let alone in a flagship.

I sent the service manager an email and copied this thread here with cr8trface's detailed comments. He then stated he thinks the vehicle drives normally and again offered the zoom zoom explanation.
He then reluctantly said he is willing to change the rear CV shafts to pacify my continued persistence but promptly mentioned after this, NOTHING ELSE.

I spent the next few weeks deliberating if I should do the rear CV replacement--under warranty at that. You see, I know very well 'if it's not broke, don't fix it!' I didn't want the vibration to worsen, if at all possible. You just never know.

I decided to wait until the winter season and pay out of pocket to do the road force balancing on my winter set rims on x-ice tires. It passed and was within spec. It was neither better or worse. I then decided i don't really have anything to lose and I couldn't imagine the vibrations being worse than it already was...

The dealer changed both rear CV shafts and I can confirm, just as Cr8trface mentioned, that was 100% the problem. The car drives so so so smooth it's ridiculous that I've had it for this long, with my now 6 year old daughter in the back vomiting on car rides because of the strong vibrations. She sits in her car seat and excited to go on drives now without issue. No more vomit bags in tow.
At all speeds the vehicle feels really nice and smooth. The seats and visors are both steady as it should have been from day 1.

What gripes me is from day 1 I was lead to believe this is just how the car behaves, you know, zoom zoom. I had to spend money out my own pocket to get to the bottom of it, which really put a damper on family trips/ drives.

If like me, you know the car didn't hit a pot hole to cause damage and you've ruled out the balancing of the rims/ tires, I strongly suggest you ask the dealer to look or change the the cv's-- maybe an installation problem at the factory?
Hopefully Mazda can step up to the plate and fix this for customers because I've seen enough reports on it to think it very well may exist on the cx-5 & cx-9's.

Goodluck all! Let me know how your approach goes and how your service manager attempts to explain his version of zoom zoom.

Last edited:
Hey guys...
Just wanted to provide an update to this as I was able to drive the car about 300 kms after the dealer replaced both rear cv's. Before I get to the good stuff, I want to personally thank cr8trface for documenting his encounters-- without it, we wouldn't have the info needed to resolve what is an obvious problem Mazda wouldn't acknowledge.

Read the entire thread for an w the info. A quick synopsis.... after experiencing significant vibration whereby the front visors and front seat would visibly shake I thought it may have been unbalanced wheels. Balanced them at a shop using the typical balancing machines. No dice--still shook like a leaf.

Did some research and brought it to the attention of the dealer while under warranty (less than 20k kms, also purchased new directly from Mazda).
The service manager attributed the vibrations to just how Mazda develops and makes their cars, you know zoom zoom... Stiff suspension, low profile tires--developed to enhance road feel.
I simply didn't accept these reasons and offered a different explanation-- maybe something is off.

With no further help or explanation from the service manager at the Mazda dealership, I took the vehicle to a shop with a hunter road force balancer on my summer rims and tires (the falkens). They balanced it to acceptable spec and it was marginally better but still no dice. This told me it's not the rims or tires.
Again, the service manager at the Mazda dealer insisted it's probably the low profile stock wheels and said time and time again in a condescending way the car drives normally, which I didn't accept because I have NEVER had this experience in a vehicle before--let alone in a flagship.

I sent the service manager an email and copied this thread here with cr8trface's detailed comments. He then stated he thinks the vehicle drives normally and again offered the zoom zoom explanation.
He then reluctantly said he is willing to change the rear CV shafts to pacify my continued persistence but promptly mentioned after this, NOTHING ELSE.

I spent the next few weeks deliberating if I should do the rear CV replacement--under warranty at that. You see, I know very well 'if it's not broke, don't fix it!' I didn't want the vibration to get worst, if at all possible. You just never know.

I decided to wait until the winter season and pay out of pocket to do the road force balancing on my winter set rims and tires on x-ice tires. It passed and was within spec. It was neither better or worse. I then decided i don't really have anything to lose and I couldn't imagine the vibrations being worse than it already was...

The dealer changed both rear CV shafts and I can confirm, just as Cr8trface mentioned, that was 100% the problem. The car drives so so so smooth it's ridiculous that I've had it for this long, with my now 6 year old daughter in the back vomiting on car rides because of the strong vibrations. She sits in her car seat and excited to go on drives now without issue. No more vomit bags in tow.
At all speeds the vehicle feels really nice and smooth. The seats and visors are both steady as it should have been from day 1.

What gripes me is from day 1 I was lead to believe this is just how the car behaves, you know, zoom zoom. I had to spend money out my own pocket to get to the bottom of it, which really put a damper on family trips/ drives.

If like me, you know the car didn't hit a pot hole to cause damage and you've ruled out the balancing of the rims/ tires, I strongly suggest you ask the dealer to look or change the the cv's-- maybe an installation problem at the factory?
Hopefully Mazda can step up to the plate and fix this for customers because I've seen enough reports on it to think it very well may exist on the cx-5 & cx-9's.

Goodluck all! Let me know how your approach goes and how your service manager attempts to explain his version of zoom zoom.
Glad everything worked out for you, but your service idiot..uh I mean "manager" is a complete and utter. MORON AND A TOOL. Can't stand people like that. Ignorant and dumb at the same time. That person needs to walk away from their job and go mop floors. Disgusting ordeal you had to go through for some idiot who probably can't even do an oil change right

Glad everything worked out for you, but your service idiot..uh I mean "manager" is a complete and utter. MORON AND A TOOL. Can't stand people like that. Ignorant and dumb at the same time. That person needs to walk away from their job and go mop floors. Disgusting ordeal you had to go through for some idiot who probably can't even do an oil change right

Absolutely agree. People like that are the reason customers have no faith in the people behind the desk, and the brand suffers as a result.

@Fawiek, I'm glad to hear that @cr8trface's experience helped get your CX-9 sorted. If it were me, I would contact Mazda Corporate and eviscerate this poor excuse of a service manager.

On a side note, IMO this is why forums > everything else! Everything is here and can be easily referenced 3/5/10 years down the road.

Absolutely agree. People like that are the reason customers have no faith in the people behind the desk, and the brand suffers as a result.

@Fawiek, I'm glad to hear that @cr8trface's experience helped get your CX-9 sorted. If it were me, I would contact Mazda Corporate and eviscerate this poor excuse of a service manager.

On a side note, IMO this is why forums > everything else! Everything is here and can be easily referenced 3/5/10 years down the road.
100%!!
I anticipate Mazda will have a few calls regarding these vehicles that continue to have excessive vibrations mainly in the rear of the vehicle.

If this didn't fix the issue (which was a chance taken) I was going to sell the vehicle and NEVER revisit this brand again. (As the service manager explained this is ALL he will do, nothing more)

Let's see how many calls they get... It's a well documented forum with good support, hope it works out for everyone else seeking a resolution. 🙏🏽

New member proud owner of a CX-9. Bought the CX-9 thru my works S-Plan. Same issue w/ vibration right in the 60-75 MPG range which is exactly the speed most of us drive on the HWY. Totally unacceptable! Couldn't fathom taking a long road road trip in the car. Took it to the local Mazda dealer and they tried balancing the crappy Falkens but said 2 of the tires were 'defective' so I had their loaner car (CX-5) for a little over a week while 2 new crappy Falkens were on order. They replaced the 2 tires called me up and said my car was ready and there is no more vibration. BS.........car still vibrates at same speed so I have another appointment for later this month. I mentioned the CV shafts to the service person and told him others were having this same problem. They're just trying the easiest cheapest fixes first hoping to either wear you down or you'll give up. NOPE. Will report back after I take car in for second appointment. Less than 1,000 miles on the car since October when I bought it home.

New member proud owner of a CX-9. Bought the CX-9 thru my works S-Plan. Same issue w/ vibration right in the 60-75 MPG range which is exactly the speed most of us drive on the HWY. Totally unacceptable! Couldn't fathom taking a long road road trip in the car. Took it to the local Mazda dealer and they tried balancing the crappy Falkens but said 2 of the tires were 'defective' so I had their loaner car (CX-5) for a little over a week while 2 new crappy Falkens were on order. They replaced the 2 tires called me up and said my car was ready and there is no more vibration. BS.........car still vibrates at same speed so I have another appointment for later this month. I mentioned the CV shafts to the service person and told him others were having this same problem. They're just trying the easiest cheapest fixes first hoping to either wear you down or you'll give up. NOPE. Will report back after I take car in for second appointment. Less than 1,000 miles on the car since October when I bought it home.
It's an issue from factory for sure. I recall another member saying their mechanic saw extra play in the rear axle where the two CVs mount to but I can't confirm for sure. I'd ask them to change the rear cv's and start there before it's too late and you can't return it etc

Update.......wait for it.......my car is still in the shop it's been almost a month. I actually had to buy a new tank of gas for the CX-5 loaner and they had me bring it back for a nicer CX-9 loaner which I swear has a similar vibration in 70-75 mph range. What's hilarious is I got a bunch of critical malfunction warnings on my Mazda app. Last update from service rep was they tested all driveline suspension components no dice and they're waiting for direction from Mazda corporate. Will provide an update once I hear back. Just give me a new car already or buy out my lease. I'm still making payments on a car I'm not driving!!!!!

Update.......wait for it.......my car is still in the shop it's been almost a month. I actually had to buy a new tank of gas for the CX-5 loaner and they had me bring it back for a nicer CX-9 loaner which I swear has a similar vibration in 70-75 mph range. What's hilarious is I got a bunch of critical malfunction warnings on my Mazda app. Last update from service rep was they tested all driveline suspension components no dice and they're waiting for direction from Mazda corporate. Will provide an update once I hear back. Just give me a new car already or buy out my lease. I'm still making payments on a car I'm not driving!!!!!
That's terrible man-- sorry you're going through this.
Have you tried all the above recommendations on this thread with no success?
If you know for sure it's not the tire or rim, which is more vehicle specific, then ask them to replace the rear CV shafts--both!

My 2018 cx9 GT has such bad vibrations I wanted to sell it... After changing the CVs, it's so smooth now it pisses me off that I've had it for this long with the shakes...

If they can't resolve your issue, start asking for cash until they do or simply put you in a new vehicle.

Start filing your complaints with corporate.

Good idea I will be mentioning the payments I have made on a car I am not using. I did mention the repairs made by others specifically the cv shafts. Apparently they tested all the driveline suspension components (or so they say) no luck. Oregon has a lemon law and I believe after 3 attempts or the car being in the shop for 30 days or longer gives me recourse under the law. Like the car just fine either fix it or take it back and give me another new CX-9. Hell I'd accept them making me whole again and I'll consider the new CX-50 hehehe

Back