2020 Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings of CX-5 and a few competitors

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
I recently re-subscribed to CR. Their rankings are not perfect, but they do have the biggest reliability survey and have a long history of good testing.

Here's the CX-5 rankings and a few competitors I'd consider, most of them are a bit larger, but at a similar or slightly higher price point.

mazdacx5cr.png

mazdacx5cr2.png

mazdacx9cr.png

rav4cr.png

Not a fan of the way this car looks, especially in light colors. Dark colors hide all the plastic cladding. With Toyota, top trims often get better styling than base or midlevel versions, where Mazda keeps the upscale styling across trims.

steelies.jpg

For some reason, Toyota is unable to design a good looking exhaust or rear bumper for the RAV4. Massive piece of black plastic.

a2094a261ec644b7903c99b303b1fb2d.jpg

rav4cr2.png

subaruoutbackcr.png

lexusrxcr.png

Dark Reader

Last edited:
I recently re-subscribed to CR. Their rankings are not perfect, but they do have the biggest reliability survey and have a long history of good testing.

Here's the CX-5 rankings and a few competitors I'd consider, most of them are a bit larger, but at a similar or slightly higher price point.

View attachment 222302

View attachment 222307

View attachment 222303

View attachment 222306

(Not a fan of the way this car looks)

View attachment 222309

For some reason, Toyota is unable to design a good looking exhaust or rear bumper for the RAV4.

View attachment 222310

View attachment 222308

View attachment 222304

View attachment 222305

Dark Reader
I agree. CR does have the biggest reliability survey with a very long history. Based on the CR, Toyota and Lexus are still the best reliability wise.

And thanks for posting.

I wish I could stomach Toyota and Lexus styling. I considered a used RX, but the nickel colored interior trim is so 1998.

One thing that bugs me about these CR ratings is when there’s variability year-to-year for no true reason. For example, the brakes on the 17 and 18 CX-5 are certainly the same, yet the 17 gets a worse rating.

I think the year to year changes in ratings reflect that cars are most reliable (generally) when new. So the brakes on a 2-3 year old car are going to show up defects that (might) remain hidden on a 1 year old car.

Exhaust ratings get worse on older cars, too.

It's all statistics. Could well be that the 2017 batches happened to have more failures than the 2018, despite being the same manufacture. And/or detail manufacturing line changes may well have improved failure modes.

It might be a low sample rate then one or two bad reports would skew the results in a particular year, particular model, particular feature...

I agree on the styling of the RAV and RX...too angular and not appealing to me at all.
Curious why you included the Outback rather than the Forester? Outback is bigger, more wagon-like.
Either way, thanks for sharing!

In-Car electronics seems to a bit weaker point - worries me a bit for 2019 GT. Does that make a case for extended warranty?

I agree on the styling of the RAV and RX...too angular and not appealing to me at all.
Curious why you included the Outback rather than the Forester? Outback is bigger, more wagon-like.
Either way, thanks for sharing!

The Forester is a little closer in size, but I really don't like the way it looks.

1ee59032c21c4d38bf7d073b1701b001.jpg

and the Outback is very close in starting MSRP. I went through the car buying process back in July. CR's positive review of the CX put it on my test drive list. The Outback is a brand new platform and design, which only started production at the end of July.

@Vdev, that really depends on the price you get it for. Extended warranties are sold to make the dealer profit, not save you money. :) It's possible to come out ahead on one, if you need a lot of things fixed.

Last edited:
Subaru definitely does a better job at upselling than Mazda. Look at all the silly accessories you can get with the '20 Outback. 60 in total.

Subaru definitely does a better job at upselling than Mazda. Look at all the silly accessories you can get with the '20 Outback. 60 in total.

That makes my eyes glaze over. Gee, I saw that commercial of the country girl who drove the lost dog back home to the old guy...how the heck did she navigate all that stuff when she bought her Subaru? She's all corn bread and baked beans. 🤠

When I was buying, the Toyota "Build Your Own" page was so overwhelming with tons of pre-packaged bundles. Out of all the packages they had (and there's a ton), I could not find a single one with everything I wanted...way too many compromises

Once I got behind the wheel of he CX-5, it didn't matter, anyway. I stopped shopping.

Welcome to the Porsche buying experience when a $52,000 Boxster becomes $100,000. It'll be that way with the 2020 Corvette, also.

I also thought CR's analysis showing reduced reliability right after a vehicle was redesigned was interesting, and quite plausible.

and I came so close to buying a Chevy Colorado .....
still want a truck , but not many reliable choices below $30,000 in usa
maybe in a couple of years......

I also thought CR's analysis showing reduced reliability right after a vehicle was redesigned was interesting, and quite plausible.
Lexus and many Toyota vehicles seem to be the exception.

Toyota and Honda trucks have been reliable. Don't hold your breath for that to be true of any American brand, on a consistent basis.

I have a 2017 Colorado and will be selling it to get a GTR. My Chevy has been nothing but problems. Had the catalytic converter replaced, transmission drained 2 times to get rid of gear slippage and worst seats ever. I am thru with trucks after 40 years driving them. If you are dead set on a truck the Toyota Tundra with V8 has run flawlessly for my brother and neighbor for over 200k.

Last edited:
Back