2019 CX-5 Heavy Steering?

My wife purchased a CX-5 Touring in January and loves the vehicle. I have also been impressed with how the vehicle drives and the amount of tech included in the price. Our one complaint is the heavy steering. I actually kinda like it (I drive a Infiniti G37 coupe) but the steering in the CX-5 is heavier than that car. My wife really notices it in low speed situations like parking lots. I did not test drive the other CX-5 that she looked at besides the one she purchased but she doesn't remember much about that car (she drove a lot of cars in a short time frame).

Is the CX-5 steering meant to be so heavy or is there an adjustment the dealer could make?

Thanks!

Just checked the tires out, they are all 32-33 which is low. It hasn't been driven today but it is warm and sunny so they are definitely in need of some air. I will add some air later and see if I notice a difference. Thanks!

Just checked the tires out, they are all 32-33 which is low. It hasn't been driven today but it is warm and sunny so they are definitely in need of some air. I will add some air later and see if I notice a difference. Thanks!
Try to add 2 psi more than specified 34 psi to your road tires when cold, or the first thing in the morning, assuming your 2019 CX-5 Touring comes with 225/65 R17 tires. Don’t forget to take the spare out and check the pressure as it most likely has ~40 psi!

But honestly the difference of 2~3 psi shouldn’t affect the steering feel that much in low speed. I’d suggest you find time to take your CX-5 back to your Mazda dealer, and test-drive another new CX-5 to compare. That’s the best way to find out if your steering is really having any problems.

Try to add 2 psi more than specified 34 psi to your road tires when cold, or the first thing in the morning, assuming your 2019 CX-5 Touring comes with 225/65 R17 tires. Don’t forget to take the spare out and check the pressure as it most likely has ~40 psi!

But honestly the difference of 2~3 psi shouldn’t affect the steering feel that much in low speed. I’d suggest you find time to take your CX-5 back to your Mazda dealer, and test-drive another new CX-5 to compare. That’s the best way to find out if your steering is really having any problems.

I agree. If adjusting the PSI doesn't help, take the car to the dealer and ask to test drive a different CX-5 (ideally one that is the same trim as yours). If the steering feels different between the two, the dealership can look into it for you.

Just as a reference point, I would describe the electric power steering on my 2019 CX-5 as light, responsive, not heavy at all.

If the tire pressure doesnt fix the feel of the steering. Remember the vehicle is equipped with
Lane Departure Warning with Lane-keep Assist

If this system is faulty it could be in a perpetual state of "reminding you" to get back in your lane.. thus feel heavy to steering input and this would definitely be a dealer diagnostic issue.

If the tire pressure doesnt fix the feel of the steering. Remember the vehicle is equipped with
Lane Departure Warning with Lane-keep Assist

If this system is faulty it could be in a perpetual state of "reminding you" to get back in your lane.. thus feel heavy to steering input and this would definitely be a dealer diagnostic issue.
Op can turn the LDW off and see if there's any difference. If so, then it sounds like a dealer problem.

Based on all the reviews, I think that what you're feeling is how it was intended. Where you actually have input into where the car goes both with turning the wheel and when straightening it out again.

My wife has a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta and the steering feels like a go cart. The steering on my 2020 Cx5 GT is not as light as the one from my previous 2016 Rav4 limited but it goes exactly where I aim with 0 slack or body roll. So the steering is exactly what its supposed to be in my honest opinion.

Are you sure this is "heavy steering" or is it possibly excessive understeer, requiring more input? Your G certainly has less understeer. The good news is you can adjust it.

Back