2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

If they actually do this then it's 2 updates to the KF in 2 years since it was released in late 2016/early 2017

Officially, the 2.5T in the Mazda6 runs 14.9s in the 1/4 mile.

I've been involved in drag racing for 30 years. Everyone knows that driver error plays a huge role. The second factor is atmospheric conditions (hot and humid day). Many variables at play.

Enough to make a 2 sec difference in the 0-60mph time?
I read or watched two sources that put the o-60 time between 8 and 9 seconds.

Enough to make a 2 sec difference in the 0-60mph time?
I read or watched two sources that put the o-60 time between 8 and 9 seconds.

Well, the mazda 6 with the 2.5 does 0 to 60 in 7.9 , which is similar (a bit slower) than the cx5 I have, stock. The mazda 6 with 2.5t does it in 6.4. It's reasonable to assume with awd in the mix, a 5.9 to 6.4 is very reasonable to expect from the same engine in the cx5. They weigh the same, after all. The 6 will be faster 0 to 100 or 120 though due to aero, but still. It would be awesome little cuv.

*the 2.5t mazda 6 is super traction limited. Awd might put the cx5t high 5s.

Well, the mazda 6 with the 2.5 does 0 to 60 in 7.9 , which is similar (a bit slower) than the cx5 I have, stock. The mazda 6 with 2.5t does it in 6.4. It's reasonable to assume with awd in the mix, a 5.9 to 6.4 is very reasonable to expect from the same engine in the cx5. They weigh the same, after all. The 6 will be faster 0 to 100 or 120 though due to aero, but still. It would be awesome little cuv.

*the 2.5t mazda 6 is super traction limited. Awd might put the cx5t high 5s.

Turbo 6 and Turbo CX-5 weigh the same (scratch)

How much do the NA & turbo engines weigh (uhm)

Last edited:
Turbo 6 and Turbo CX-5 weigh the same (scratch)

How much do the NA & turbo engines weigh (uhm)

Well, that depends on how they are optioned of course, but the awd and turbo of the cx5 will make it 75 to 150 pounds heavier. The massive traction deficit the mazda 6 has though more than compensates for 0 to 60 comparisons.

Well, that depends on how they are optioned of course, but the awd and turbo of the cx5 will make it 75 to 150 pounds heavier. The massive traction deficit the mazda 6 has though more than compensates for 0 to 60 comparisons.

So current 6 in top spec weighs 1620kg/3571lbs. Now add 34-68kg/75-150lbs which makes it 1654-1688kg/3646-3721lbs. This is conservative estimate of the new CX-5 with a turbo.

The CX-5 might have better traction but it's not full-time AWD. Only kicks in when it detects any wheelspin. So I suspect the extra weight will have an effect on performance. Won't be near the turbo 6 but significantly faster than the 2.5L NA AWD CX-5.

It should be noted that the turbo CX-5 will probably weigh even more than the numbers above.

Last edited:
So current 6 in top spec weighs 1620kg/3571lbs. Now add 34-68kg/75-150lbs which makes it 1654-1688kg/3646-3721lbs. This is conservative estimate of the new CX-5 with a turbo.

The CX-5 might have better traction but it's not full-time AWD. Only kicks in when it detects any wheelspin. So I suspect the extra weight will have an effect on performance. Won't be near the turbo 6 but significantly faster than the 2.5L NA AWD CX-5.

It should be noted that the turbo CX-5 will probably weigh even more than the numbers above.

I think you're underestimating traction losses the mazda 6 suffers. It even spun in the 6.4 0 to 60 at the top of first, not even counting shifts. That's super expensive on the clock.

I think you're underestimating traction losses the mazda 6 suffers. It even spun in the 6.4 0 to 60 at the top of first, not even counting shifts. That's super expensive on the clock.
Not at all but one needs to take in account the extra weight. An AWD turbo CX-5 would be somewhere between the turbo 6 and awd CX-9 in terms of performance

Not at all but one needs to take in account the extra weight. An AWD turbo CX-5 would be somewhere between the turbo 6 and awd CX-9 in terms of performance

And the assumption that the gearing would be the same, and mapping.

And the assumption that the gearing would be the same, and mapping.

AWD CX-5 sets off in AWD I read, but will always have 2% drive to the rears to reduce transition time moving to AWD.

The real question is how long it will take this idea to go from Viral - Dead like the rest of Mazdas teasers.

AWD CX-5 sets off in AWD I read, but will always have 2% drive to the rears to reduce transition time moving to AWD.

My experience is that the cx5 does not start in awd. It is 100% reactive, but on pavement, its damn quick. On gravel, it takes a bit of a rotation of the tire before it can catch it, as its able to spin faster on gravel than pavement.

Based on data I got from the Motor Trend passing times metric, the NA Mazda6 (2016) does it in 4.1 seconds, the turbo Mazda6 does it in 3.3 seconds. A 2016 CX-5 AWD GT does it in 4.3 seconds. So with a little bit of math, my calculations say a CX-5 GT with the turbo, will do 45-65 mph in 3.4-3.5 seconds. If that ends up being true, that is a pretty good improvement to passing power.

My experience is that the cx5 does not start in awd. It is 100% reactive, but on pavement, its damn quick. On gravel, it takes a bit of a rotation of the tire before it can catch it, as its able to spin faster on gravel than pavement.

What year do you have as the 2013 car I had wasn't as sophisticated as my 2015 or my 2009 xtrail, and the 2017 is even better due to more sensors. I've read that a CRV also sets of in AWD.

Back