2019 CX-5 106k miles Dealer Wanting to do Engine Tear Down. What next?

frizzinator

2019 CX-5 2.5T
2019 CX-5 2.5T 106k miles

Video from service tech: ASR Portal 8

Coolant can't keep pressure. Spewing out from spark-plugs. Wanting over $3k to do a tear down to determine what to do next. What options do I have?

Did you bring the vehicle in due to check engine light, smoke coming out of exhaust, coolant or funny burning smells? I can’t imagine all of this was found without symptoms during a routine inspection during an oil change.

At minimum: you've lost the upper intake and/or head gasket, but more likely it's a cracked head.
If they want >$3K just to determine their next blunder: stop now.
With 106K on the odometer: probably best to shytt-kann the entire vehicle ASAP.

Last edited:
At minimum: you've lost the upper intake and/or head gasket, but more likely it's a cracked head.
If they want >$3K just to determine their next blunder: stop now.
With 106K on the odometer: probably best to shytt-kann the entire vehicle ASAP.
That's my fear. I am looking into trade-in value; however, I'm not a big Mazda fan atm.

Nice of them to provide that video!

IMO, even though you're out of warranty, I would still attempt to reach out to MNAO to see if there's any way they can assist with the cost of the repair. There is a chance, however slight, of getting the engine replacement covered in full or in part.

Go back to old fashioned basic diagnostics. Do a cylinder leak down test on all four cylinders... Not $3K This will and should tell you an accurate picture of what is leaking. Just basics.

Last edited:
Nice of them to provide that video!

IMO, even though you're out of warranty, I would still attempt to reach out to MNAO to see if there's any way they can assist with the cost of the repair. There is a chance, however slight, of getting the engine replacement covered in full or in part.
Good suggestion. I've reached out and got a case started to review my situation. All maintenance has been done by a Mazda dealer, which they seemed to have access to and verified. Fingers crossed.

Go back to old fashioned basic diagnostics. Do a cylinder leak down test on all four cylinders... Not $3K This will and should tell you an accurate picture of what is leaking. Just basics.

Did you watch the video?

So sorry this has happened to you Frizz! I'm glad that's not my car!!!

"Engine idling rough. Check engine light on."

I can't believe that this thing was running at all. Good luck this this.

Mazda dealers have all the latest TSB information, and this can’t be the first time the tech saw the coolant leak problem by the cracked cylinder head on the 2.5T,p why did the dealer want $3K for a tear down to determine what to do next? 😳:rolleyes::unsure:

I also don’t get why they removed the spark plugs and ran a bunch of tests before even checking for the cracked head which is a known issue. Unless there is no physical evidence on the outside of the engine, but it didn’t seem like they bothered to look. He even said « we can’t look because the engine is in the tunnel », which is a pretty lame excuse. There are tools available to look back there.

Only way coolant spews out of the spark plug holes is a head gasket failure or cracked head. Yes, call MNAO and ask for help. Also start looking online for a salvage yard engine.

Thank you to everyone who responded and back advice / feedback! An update on the situation... Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else that runs into my situation in the future on what to do / expect.

I contacted MNAO on May 9th and started an After Warranty Assistance claim. Here is the canned response to getting this started:

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center. My name is Yarelis, case manager from Mazda CEC. I tried contacting you and left a voicemail. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your CX-5 2019. We have contacted the Service Department regarding this concern and discussed assistance, I wanted to provide you with some information. Mazda is reviewing assistance for cylinder head repairs since there is a Service Bulletin, however for any After Warranty Assistance there must be a customer participation and the dealership warranty team would provide the coverage amount based on dealer diagnosis. At the moment the dealership have not determined if this issue is related to the cylinder hear or an engine block so a claim can not be submitted, Jeff at the service department explained they have to have your approval and permission to go into detailed on the diagnosis since that is a 18 hours of labor. Mazda can not review assistance for repair unless we have a detailed diagnosis done by the dealer. If you would like After Warranty Assistance to be reviewed please contact the dealership and discuss diagnosis information with them in order to proceed. Since the vehicle is outside of warranty we are unable to assist with diagnosis, but because you are a value customer, if the diagnosis determined to be an issue related to a recall or a service bulletin Mazda will review assistance towards a percentage of the repair. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!"

This meant I was required to agree to the $3200 (18 hours) of work to do the engine tear down. My decision was that even if I did have to incur the the cost of a new engine ($10k estimate per dealer; including the $3200) this would be a preferred alternative to purchasing a new car or even used car. This has been the first major issue I've had during ownership. I have taken my vehicle to the dealership to have all maintenance work done and have performed all dealer-recommended service; MNAO could see this and verified this during the initial call with them.

Early during the week of May 15th the dealership let me know that they didn't see a crack in the engine block, but were doing more diagnosis work to verify what the issue was exactly. I had a planned vacation where I would be out of the country from May 18th through May 23rd and let them know I wouldn't be reachable during this time.

After returning home on May 23rd, I had the following message from MNAO CEC (sent on 5/23):

"I am following up with you regarding your case. Jeff from the service department followed up with me regarding the diagnosis. He will be submitting a claim for after warranty assistance, however his warranty administrator will be out of the office till Tuesday the 30th. He will have to wait to submit till then. I will also be out 30th till the 8th. Dealer will be contacting you with warranty decision on coverage. I will also be following up with you after with repair status. If you have any questions or need any additional assistance you can also contact 1-800-222-5500 while I am out of the office. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

I spoke with the dealership on Friday May 26th and they provided the diagnosis of needing a Cylinder Head Replacement, which they were going to request be covered 100%. In addition to pre-authorizing the Cylinder Head, they also requested a new Manifold and Turbo Engine due to "coolant gumming them up". They said they couldn't guarantee that MNAO They said they responded to the After Warranty Assistance claim and recommended based on my service history and being a good customer that the cost be covered 100%, which was great news to hear!

Based on the email from MNAO CEC and everyone being on vacation, things stalled from here. I tried reaching out to get an update via email on 5/31--no response. I called MNAO yesterday (6/5), twice, asking for an update. I was first told that the person assigned to my case would be in contact with the dealership later in the day. I called again after 5PM and was told that the agent assigned to my case would review what was submitted by the dealership and respond tomorrow (6/6). Apparently they don't know how to use out of office responses to let people know they're on vacation.

I called MNAO today (6/6) and requested to be transferred to the person managing my claim--they weren't in, which again wasn't a surprise by based on the email saying they'd be out until the 8th. I am now going through the hoops of trying to get another case manager to review the case before the assigned individual returns on the 9th. I'll have to call back again tomorrow when managers are available.

Thank you to everyone who responded and back advice / feedback! An update on the situation... Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else that runs into my situation in the future on what to do / expect.

I contacted MNAO on May 9th and started an After Warranty Assistance claim. Here is the canned response to getting this started:

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center. My name is Yarelis, case manager from Mazda CEC. I tried contacting you and left a voicemail. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your CX-5 2019. We have contacted the Service Department regarding this concern and discussed assistance, I wanted to provide you with some information. Mazda is reviewing assistance for cylinder head repairs since there is a Service Bulletin, however for any After Warranty Assistance there must be a customer participation and the dealership warranty team would provide the coverage amount based on dealer diagnosis. At the moment the dealership have not determined if this issue is related to the cylinder hear or an engine block so a claim can not be submitted, Jeff at the service department explained they have to have your approval and permission to go into detailed on the diagnosis since that is a 18 hours of labor. Mazda can not review assistance for repair unless we have a detailed diagnosis done by the dealer. If you would like After Warranty Assistance to be reviewed please contact the dealership and discuss diagnosis information with them in order to proceed. Since the vehicle is outside of warranty we are unable to assist with diagnosis, but because you are a value customer, if the diagnosis determined to be an issue related to a recall or a service bulletin Mazda will review assistance towards a percentage of the repair. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!"

This meant I was required to agree to the $3200 (18 hours) of work to do the engine tear down. My decision was that even if I did have to incur the the cost of a new engine ($10k estimate per dealer; including the $3200) this would be a preferred alternative to purchasing a new car or even used car. This has been the first major issue I've had during ownership. I have taken my vehicle to the dealership to have all maintenance work done and have performed all dealer-recommended service; MNAO could see this and verified this during the initial call with them.

Early during the week of May 15th the dealership let me know that they didn't see a crack in the engine block, but were doing more diagnosis work to verify what the issue was exactly. I had a planned vacation where I would be out of the country from May 18th through May 23rd and let them know I wouldn't be reachable during this time.

After returning home on May 23rd, I had the following message from MNAO CEC (sent on 5/23):

"I am following up with you regarding your case. Jeff from the service department followed up with me regarding the diagnosis. He will be submitting a claim for after warranty assistance, however his warranty administrator will be out of the office till Tuesday the 30th. He will have to wait to submit till then. I will also be out 30th till the 8th. Dealer will be contacting you with warranty decision on coverage. I will also be following up with you after with repair status. If you have any questions or need any additional assistance you can also contact 1-800-222-5500 while I am out of the office. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

I spoke with the dealership on Friday May 26th and they provided the diagnosis of needing a Cylinder Head Replacement, which they were going to request be covered 100%. In addition to pre-authorizing the Cylinder Head, they also requested a new Manifold and Turbo Engine due to "coolant gumming them up". They said they couldn't guarantee that MNAO They said they responded to the After Warranty Assistance claim and recommended based on my service history and being a good customer that the cost be covered 100%, which was great news to hear!

Based on the email from MNAO CEC and everyone being on vacation, things stalled from here. I tried reaching out to get an update via email on 5/31--no response. I called MNAO yesterday (6/5), twice, asking for an update. I was first told that the person assigned to my case would be in contact with the dealership later in the day. I called again after 5PM and was told that the agent assigned to my case would review what was submitted by the dealership and respond tomorrow (6/6). Apparently they don't know how to use out of office responses to let people know they're on vacation.

I called MNAO today (6/6) and requested to be transferred to the person managing my claim--they weren't in, which again wasn't a surprise by based on the email saying they'd be out until the 8th. I am now going through the hoops of trying to get another case manager to review the case before the assigned individual returns on the 9th. I'll have to call back again tomorrow when managers are available.
So you agreed to pay $3200 to do the engine tear down and verify the problem? Not sure I’d do that and gamble for a new engine. Hope you can have a good result from MNAO and keep us posted.

So you agreed to pay $3200 to do the engine tear down and verify the problem? Not sure I’d do that and gamble for a new engine. Hope you can have a good result from MNAO and keep us posted.

It's a difficult situation. You either have to fix the car to drive it, or fix the car to sell it. Who wants to buy a broken car with 100K+ on Autotrader? And forget the dealer trade in. You aren't going to get anything for it.

100,000+ miles is way out of warranty, I wonder how much if any MNAO will pay. Hope for the best for OP and report back.

When you fix your vehicle at the dealers, mostly likely the incident gets reported to CarFax, etc.
The potential buyer can see the "Engine Repair" on CarFax.

My old BMW had cam sensors replaced.
It showed as "Engine Repair" on CarFax. A big turnoff for many.

OP can keep driving it for a while.
Hope MNAO covers as much as possible.

Back