2018 Non-Bose. Stereo Upgrade speaker advice?

As the title says, I have a 2018 CX-5 without Bose. I have already done the CarPlay upgrade. I Just ordered 2 12" Skar 2x12D4 subwoofers and a Scar 1200.1D Amp (Pushes about 1600w max and true to 1200w RMS per testing I've found done by pros on YouTube lol). I plan to tap in using a scorche line output converter at the TAU. Now I am looking at door replacement speakers. Memphis Audio PRX60C These are what I've been most eyeing, as I've had good luck with their subwoofers years ago. I will be running from factory power, no extra amp for the highs and mids.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for speaker upgrades vs those Memphis? My planned budget for the 4 speakers is about $400 but can go up or down if it is worthwhile.

Also, anyone have any experience putting 1200w through the stock alternator? Have an Optima Red Top battery. Worried about dimming etc. Planned on grabbing a basic 4F Capacitor but wondering if that will be enough on these vehicles (My prior builds used 250A alternator, I believe stock on these MX-5s is only 100A)? Debating if I should go right to a kinetic cell vs messing with capacitors.

From what I've read and talking to my Mazda Service Tech, you are stuck with the stock alternator, it throws codes and messes with the ECU if you put in a different alternator. If anything run a 2nd battery, that's my plan in the future.

From what I've read and talking to my Mazda Service Tech, you are stuck with the stock alternator, it throws codes and messes with the ECU if you put in a different alternator. If anything run a 2nd battery, that's my plan in the future.
Thanks, I’ll have to check into that. I found a few higher power alternators available but didn’t see anything about issues with it throwing the CEL. Any idea what codes are popping from it?

Guess I’ll be leaning towards an XS power cell then. Going to gauge things and see how the stock electrical handles things and go from there. I will likely knock out the big 3 upgrade while I’m under the hood to route my power line as well.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for speaker upgrades vs those Memphis? My planned budget for the 4 speakers is about $400 but can go up or down if it is worthwhile.

For $400, you can get an affordable 4 channel amp say something like a Kenwood KAC-M3004 ($140), a Dayton Audio DSP-408 ($160), and a set of Dayton DC160-4 6.5's and ND25FN-4 tweeters ($100).

That combo will really make your stereo shine.

Also, I'd return the LOC. The Dayton DSP has high level inputs, so it's not needed at all.

Last edited:
Guess I’ll be leaning towards an XS power cell then. Going to gauge things and see how the stock electrical handles things and go from there. I will likely knock out the big 3 upgrade while I’m under the hood to route my power line as well.
Yup, that's my plan, I'm going to wait until its a bit warmer to tackle the Big 3 Upgrade.

For $400, you can get an affordable 4 channel amp say something like a Kenwood KAC-M3004 ($140), a Dayton Audio DSP-408 ($160), and a set of Dayton DC160-4 6.5's and ND25FN-4 tweeters ($100).

That combo will really make your stereo shine.

Also, I'd return the LOC. The Dayton DSP has high level inputs, so it's not needed at all.
I’m not looking to run the doors off anything other than stock power. As said in addition here, I’m already wiring a 1200w rms mono amp for the subs, and am already worried about excessive power draw with the stock system. Just looking for a quick swap replacement for the 4 door speakers.

@floridaplur I might caution not adding additional power to the door speakers. The factory amplifier is somewhere in the 12 watt range. Even if you replace the door speakers with something in the 90db+ range for sensitivity, that 1200w RMS subwoofer will QUICKLY overpower the factory speakers handling vocals and the high range. If you are going down this rabbit hole take a look at what @theblooms said -- for not much additional cost and effort you will round out the sound of the solution. Good luck in whatever you choose to do with your vehicle.

Non Bose system. Looking to upgrade factory amp to something with some more power. Leaving factory door speakers for now, not adding a sub. Any recommendations? Sound quality? Can factory door speakers handle more power? Any advice would be great. 2022 CX-5

Can't go wrong with Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, Alpine, or even Mmats. Also check out D'Amore Engineering. The D'Amore amps are straight up incredible at that price point. (Tony D'Amore was the lead engineer for Rockford back in the late 90's and early 00's).

As the title says, I have a 2018 CX-5 without Bose. I have already done the CarPlay upgrade. I Just ordered 2 12" Skar 2x12D4 subwoofers and a Scar 1200.1D Amp (Pushes about 1600w max and true to 1200w RMS per testing I've found done by pros on YouTube lol). I plan to tap in using a scorche line output converter at the TAU. Now I am looking at door replacement speakers. Memphis Audio PRX60C These are what I've been most eyeing, as I've had good luck with their subwoofers years ago. I will be running from factory power, no extra amp for the highs and mids.

Also, anyone have any experience putting 1200w through the stock alternator? Have an Optima Red Top battery. Worried about dimming etc. Planned on grabbing a basic 4F Capacitor but wondering if that will be enough on these vehicles (My prior builds used 250A alternator, I believe stock on these MX-5s is only 100A)? Debating if I should go right to a kinetic cell vs messing with capacitors.
I have a Hertz Component Set and Amplifier that I'm selling locally via FB marketplace. If you're interested, I can sell you my set. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you the price. They're awesome speakers. But just sold the car that they were in. Works and sounds amazing!

Last summer I ended up adding a DSP/Amp to my CX5 Bose system, so I don't need to be replacing the speakers. Just equalizing and timing them.

Component Set

Amplifier

I have a Hertz Component Set and Amplifier that I'm selling locally via FB marketplace. If you're interested, I can sell you my set. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you the price. They're awesome speakers. But just sold the car that they were in. Works and sounds amazing!

Last summer I ended up adding a DSP/Amp to my CX5 Bose system, so I don't need to be replacing the speakers. Just equalizing and timing them.

Component Set

Amplifier
I believe that’s going to be a bit out of budget for me but much appreciated.

The factory paper speakers are not much good for much above 25w rms in my experience and it is not a insurmountable job to change speakers as you can purchase wiring converters to avoid cutting factory leads cheaply. As the saying goes “ you can’t get a pint out of a 1/2 pint pot” If you are not changing speakers I would concentrate more on soundproofing… I you change speakers you could update for low ohm models 2/ 3ohm for better performance without upgrading factory amp…..

So I did go ahead and change the speakers for some kickers recommended on crutchfield. Much clearer at high volume, but not much louder. They are rated for 300w so I’m likely going to pick up a 400.4 to power them better. I’m still at a loss on sourcing a bracket for a second alternator.

Back