2017 Mazda CX-5 idle sounds

:
2017 mazda cx-5 grand touring Premium package Soul Red Crystal
Could use the expertise of the helpful folk on this forum. I feel like my car is much noisier that it used to be and seems to be noisier than other cars I've been around. I've attached a recording of the engine idling and there are ticking noises and other rough and repetitive sounds. Could this be lifters or something else? I'm coming up on 56k so I'd like to have it looked at by the dealership before the original warranty expires. As an additional note, I did have the transmission replaced under warranty in June 2020. The ticking sound seems to be from the front of the engine (facing the grill) and the other repetitive sound is from the driver's side of the engine.

Attachments

• Cx5 idling.mp3
    587 KB
Does the sound change as engine speed increases? Is it more pronounced when the engine is hot or cold?

This was immediately after an at home oil change. I will run some errands tomorrow and provide an additional recording

I have noticed that overall the engine seems louder. My car is definitely rougher sounding than my neighbor's.

Could use the expertise of the helpful folk on this forum. I feel like my car is much noisier that it used to be and seems to be noisier than other cars I've been around. I've attached a recording of the engine idling and there are ticking noises and other rough and repetitive sounds. Could this be lifters or something else? I'm coming up on 56k so I'd like to have it looked at by the dealership before the original warranty expires. As an additional note, I did have the transmission replaced under warranty in June 2020. The ticking sound seems to be from the front of the engine (facing the grill) and the other repetitive sound is from the driver's side of the engine.
Honestly since there’re no comparisons before and after、hot or cold、locations (need video)、what kind of oil、etc., it’s a little difficult to tell on your concern. You have a 2017 2.5L with 56K miles which doesn’t have cylinder deactivation. 2 recalls on failing (switchable) hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA, or lifters) for 2.5L are from 2018 CX-5 and newer with cylinder deactivation.

IMO I feel the engine noise is not too bad based on only the recording sound. Here’re 2 examples of engine ticking noise on 2.5L with possible failing HLAs but those are with switchable HLAs for CD:

2018 CX-5 GT Ticking

CX-5 engine rattle

2 TSBs for Switchable HLA
2018 and newer CX-5 2.5L

Since you said the noise recorded was after the oil change, what kind of oil did you use? Did you check the oil level? And do you use the same oil as previous oil changes? You can try 5W-30 full synthetic oil on 2.5L which is approved by Mazda worldwide after you’re out of power train warranty. Many have said 5W-30 oil would make the 2.5L running quieter with less oil consumption. You can also try newer GF-6 oils such as Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil and see if there’s any improvements on engine noise.

61A08543-298A-4E76-9EBE-768D0DD98A15.png

Royal Purple, Zepro or Castrol Edge?

Honestly since there’re no comparisons before and after、hot or cold、locations (need video)、what kind of oil、etc., it’s a little difficult to tell on your concern. You have a 2017 2.5L with 56K miles which doesn’t have cylinder deactivation. 2 recalls on failing (switchable) hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA, or lifters) for 2.5L are from 2018 CX-5 and newer with cylinder deactivation.

IMO I feel the engine noise is not too bad based on only the recording sound. Here’re 2 examples of engine ticking noise on 2.5L with possible failing HLAs but those are with switchable HLAs for CD:

2018 CX-5 GT Ticking

CX-5 engine rattle

2 TSBs for Switchable HLA
2018 and newer CX-5 2.5L

Since you said the noise recorded was after the oil change, what kind of oil did you use? Did you check the oil level? And do you use the same oil as previous oil changes? You can try 5W-30 full synthetic oil on 2.5L which is approved by Mazda worldwide after you’re out of power train warranty. Many have said 5W-30 oil would make the 2.5L running quieter with less oil consumption. You can also try newer GF-6 oils such as Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil and see if there’s any improvements on engine noise.

View attachment 296471

Royal Purple, Zepro or Castrol Edge?

Thanks for the reply! You're correct, I'm jumping in on this cold with very little information. I've been using Castrol Edge Extended performance 0w-20 (Castrol 0w-20) with the OEM filter (1wpe-14-302) ever since my purchased maintenance plan ended. I used ~ 4.5 qt but I haven't taken it for a spin yet, I will run some errands today and I'll record again with a warm engine. I'll make sure to include audio and video. The fact that nothing jumps out makes me feel a bit better. I'll try to record while driving as well if I can do that safely.

I misread. 4.5 qt without filter change, 4.8 qt with filter change. I just put in a bit under .5 qt.

Just got back from running my errands. Here's a recording with video. Ok, need to see the file limits because both videos are to large.
Edit: a word

Last edited:
You might have a bad bearing on the alternator, fan belt tension idler pully or AC compressor as the sound gets louder near the fan belt. I have seen recommendations of using a long screw driver and carefully touch the medal near the bearing and placing your thumb over the opposite end next to your ear and you can hear the rough bearing when you touch near it. Make sure the driver is not touched by moving parts...

I misread. 4.5 qt without filter change, 4.8 qt with filter change. I just put in a bit under .5 qt.
Those fluid capacities in owner’s manual for Mazda CX-5 are mostly inaccurate as those are “approximate” quantities. The manual says 4.8 quarts on engine oil replacement with oil filter for 2.5L. But it actually needs 5.2 ~ 5.3 quarts to reach the Full / Max mark on dipstick, although many put in 5 quarts for convenience. Front transfer case is correct at 0.45 quart. The rear differential requires ~0.75 quart but the manual says 0.45 / 0.37 quarts on gen-1 / gen-2 CX-5 respectively.

still no joy. raining here in the PNW and don't really want to deal with it. I'll try a link to a shared Google album. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y5a1Z8C3EXZpjf84A
Is the loud screechy noise at 9 ~12 second mark from your engine compartment? Othe than that, to my knowledge I didn’t hear any abnormal noises to be concerned even thought some ticking noise could from high-pressure injectors. HLA / lifter metal-to-metal ticking noise is not there in the video. You can get this mechanic’s stethoscope to pinpoint the exact location of the noise you’re suspecting.

Pittsburgh Automotive Mechanic's Stethoscope

63691_I.jpg

If the noise at 9 ~ 12 mark is indeed from engine compartment, and you hear it consistently, it would worth the time to take your 2017 CX-5 to the Mazda dealer and see what they say. Show them the video with the loud screechy noise. If the problem item is not covered under powertrain warranty, at least you know which part is failing, and you can decide if you want it fixed by the dealer or through other means.

Belt tensioner is a problematic item for CX-5 and there’s a TSB for it. But mostly it’s leaking, not noise related. And yours could have been leaking for a while already.

Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

That's embarrassing. That chime-like sound is my Ring alarm going off because I'm in the driveway and it caught motion of a family walking their dog past my house

I like this tip to make a free megaphone to check for engine noise. I haven't tried it, but in his video it really amplifies the sounds.

I like this tip to make a free megaphone to check for engine noise. I haven't tried it, but in his video it really amplifies the sounds.

Ha, good tip. But I’d just spend $5 for a mechanic’s stethoscope from Harbor Freight Tools which should have the same effectiveness ⋯ ;)

I have one of the HBF stethoscopes, I'll try to isolate some sounds this week

DON’T drive your CX-5 until you add at least another 0.5 ~ 0.7 quart of fresh oil!!!
That's a little extreme I'm sorry to say. Drive it and top it up when you have a moment.
If it was a problem, then every car I've ever owned in the last 40 years would have had a blown engine.
Running your engine when it's only down half a quart won't kill it.

Ha, good tip. But I’d just spend $5 for a mechanic’s stethoscope from Harbor Freight Tools which should have the same effectiveness ⋯ ;)
It is funny that an older review literally says that:
"Great tool to find where all that noise is coming from. Better than using a jug and extra long screw driver. (All men should have one to test the ex wife before marriage.)"

That's a little extreme I'm sorry to say. Drive it and top it up when you have a moment.
If it was a problem, then every car I've ever owned in the last 40 years would have had a blown engine.
Running your engine when it's only down half a quart won't kill it.
Yes, I agree. Down 0.5 ~ 0.7 quart of oil from Full is fine to the engine. In fact once my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA was down 2.5 quarts from Full due to the leaky drain plug from Toyota dealer’s oil change and it didn’t trigger low oil pressure warning nor engine damage (at least the short term). I was exaggerating the seriousness of the situation and was trying to bring up OP’s attention. And I myself just can't stand that people don’t put in enough oil to the Full mark during the oil change for greater safety margins.

Back