2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Tech - Mode Selector Switch

Automatic Climate Control on 2016(.5) CX-5 has 2 buttons for Mode change too. The difference is the arrows pointed to the sideways. I can never figure out the difference between the two and like 2017 CX-5 the manual doesn’t say anything about them either!

2016(.5) CX-5:
attachment.php

View attachment 218312

2017 CX-5:
attachment.php

View attachment 218313

2016.5 - the button next to mode switch only shows person and no airflow to them. If one presses that button, then what does it do (uhm)

2016.5 - the button next to mode switch only shows person and no airflow to them. If one presses that button, then what does it do (uhm)

It goes to the next mode (as if it scrolling the list to the right).

Posted the same page 4 times? (uhm) I posted one pic for 2016(.5) and one pic for 2017 CX-5 showing the differences ⋯

The manual for 2016 CX-5 only says “The desired airflow mode can be selected (page 5-4).”, but it doesn’t say anything else, not to mention the difference between these 2 Mode selector switches.
Ah yes. I didn't look at the pics closely. Just the text. Which is all the same.

It goes to the next mode (as if it scrolling the list to the right).

So basically a scroll button

I guess I am one of the few owners who just leaves it on auto and adjusts the temperature dial (except in winter when I also press demister(de-fogger buttons).

I guess I am one of the few owners who just leaves it on auto and adjusts the temperature dial (except in winter when I also press demister(de-fogger buttons).

I would do that, but mine always seems to put out some air where i don't want it. When i get in my CX-5 on a cold day, the fan is blowing some air on the window and some is coming out somewhere else - I know it has to do this for dehumidification (at least in the car brain) - but i would rather leave it off until it warms up. I do feel cool air in places, and off is a better option for me. So i wind up rarely using auto.

Maybe in the summer i will change my behavior.

I am similar except I am not running auto climate. I have my air direction set to floor and defrost vents and it stays there unless I hit the defrost button. I set the temperature manually.

I'm Automatic 80% of the time, and use Mode sometimes. Really never even noticed the other unessasary button. (Obviously)

Last edited:
The manual for 2016 CX-5 only says The desired airflow mode can be selected (page 5-4)., but it doesnt say anything else, not to mention the difference between these 2 Mode selector switches.

I was indeed confused since "MODE" is printed on one button only, thinking one can only cycle through the various modes in one direction only, and never touched the other button.

I was indeed confused since "MODE" is printed on one button only, thinking one can only cycle through the various modes in one direction only, and never touched the other button.
I was confused too and could never figure out what the right Mode button is for and thought it’s a duplicate Mode button. Two buttons scrolling 4 airflow modes, it seems an example of over-design.

And I don’t use Auto function either.

Back