2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Tech - Mode Selector Switch

cvolpe

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Tech
Hi All,

My apologies in advance if this seems like a silly question. It is unclear in the manual as to why there are 2 mode selector switches (one pointing up, one pointing down). As you press them they both cycle through the same settings. Searching the web has not helped me much.

Anyone happen to know? (screenshot attached)

File 2018-01-24, 9 47 26 PM.jpeg

This is true. The up button cycle from feet up then loops. Down button goes from Windshield down then loops.

Two buttons make sense. If it is a one button design then a toggle would work.

If the air is blowing out the vents and you want it to come out on the floor you press down. I think the idea was to avoid hitting the same button in repeated fashion.

Well, some people would memorize the pattern and quickly switch between settings without going thru multiple settings. However, I do agree one button would suffice but meh, more button to make it look fancier...

*Hmm someone actually reads the manual book, maybe I should do the same :p* ...

Two buttons or one, I'd like to see the status shown momentarily on the 7" display when changing.
For that matter, I prefer the old rotary knobs.

It's just one button in the 16. It's perfect and didn't need changed. [emoji23]

I think the 2 buttons was a stupid design - i think they did it for symmetry. I can't imagine I would memorize the order of the air venting modes in both directions that I would find myself using both up and down to get more quickly to one mode or the other.

What are there 4 or 5 different modes? So the difference of going up or down would be maximum of 3 presses?

One big mode button that could found without looking would have been a better design.

It's just one button in the 16. It's perfect and didn't need changed. [emoji23]
Automatic Climate Control on 2016(.5) CX-5 has 2 buttons for Mode change too. The difference is the arrows pointed to the sideways. I can never figure out the difference between the two and like 2017 CX-5 the manual doesn’t say anything about them either!

2016(.5) CX-5:
attachment.php

617EFFD9-77E6-47A3-9A6D-A3A624ACBF61.png

2017 CX-5:
attachment.php

5AD7BC93-DC5B-4FEB-9443-A22E69A8F0E0.png

Last edited:
Lol. It does have 2 buttons (in the car now). I only ever use the one marked Mode. It is in the manual. You posted the same page 4 times.
8765a644fde54ac8830f7b1c849837e1.jpg

Lol. It does have 2 buttons (in the car now). I only ever use the one marked Mode. It is in the manual. You posted the same page 4 times.
Posted the same page 4 times? (uhm) I posted one pic for 2016(.5) and one pic for 2017 CX-5 showing the differences ⋯

The manual for 2016 CX-5 only says The desired airflow mode can be selected (page 5-4)., but it doesnt say anything else, not to mention the difference between these 2 Mode selector switches.

Originally I thought CX-5 has 2 separate airflow systems in “Dual” mode for driver and front passenger, hence left and right arrows on 2 Mode selector switches, like my BMW 528i. But I quickly dismissed the idea after I tried.

Originally I thought CX-5 has 2 separate airflow systems in “Dual” mode for driver and front passenger, hence left and right arrows on 2 Mode selector switches, like my BMW 528i. But I quickly dismissed the idea after I tried.

Never really thought about that but that would be very useful. Can't tell you how many times I just want the airflow on my feet/dash and my wife wants the airflow coming through the main vents. Definitely cool feature.

Don't know about the '17 but there's a better description for the '16 in the Smart Start Guide (p.34).

Four choices:
Dashboard vents
Dashboard and floor vents
Floor vents
Defroster and floor vents

For the '16 you can scroll to the left or to the right. For the '17 you scroll from the top or bottom. Easy peasy.

Originally I thought CX-5 has 2 separate airflow systems in Dual mode for driver and front passenger, hence left and right arrows on 2 Mode selector switches, like my BMW 528i. But I quickly dismissed the idea after I tried.

That's third on my HVAC wish list.

Second on my wish list [first is a rotary mode knob] is the ability to turn off all airflow to the rear. They can re-purpose one of those redundant mode buttons to that function.

Back