(2017 CX5) Does changing only speakers improve sound quality much?

I’ve just got 2017 CX5 (KG) with 6 speakers configuration. The sound from speakers is quite flat (and total quality is quite bad).

I don’t know if the sound is bad because of the speakers or the head unit.

Has anyone changed only speakers without additional dap, amp, etc? Does the sound quality improve much?

I’m quite new to car stereo upgrade. Many stores offer me dsp (which they claim to improve much quality) but I don’t know if using dsp+cheaper speakers or just more expensive speakers will make better result?

New mids and tweeters for dash helped mine, but I'm not sure exactly what speakers yours has.

For starters, I'm big into music. I'm willing to go to great lengths to get terrific sound, way more than most other people. Ripping out the entire interior to apply sound deadening is a no-brainer for me.

Now that that's our of the way, I've yet to hear a factory stereo, no matter the manufacturer, that doesn't sound like ass. (I've not heard the $20,0000 Bowers and Wilkins option that's in some Maserati's though, so my opinion on that setup is reserved!)

Even the otherwise "vaunted" Bose stereo upgrade that our Mazdas have sound like crap to me.

So yes, to me at least, even minor speaker upgrades make a huge difference in sound quality.

Here are the physical differences in drivers of even modest, and I really do mean modest, upgrades in both my CX-5 and my wife's Mazda5 from factory to aftermarket.

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_112809025_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201128_112809025_HDR.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20201128_112827547_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201128_112827547_HDR.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20210325_114949494.jpg
    IMG_20210325_114949494.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20210325_114957366.jpg
    IMG_20210325_114957366.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 275
My 2017 CX5 also had 6 speakers. It sounded terrible. I changed all six of them with "Hertz" high dB speakers i.e. four 6,5 inch /165 mm coaxial door speakers with orange magnate cover and two Hertz tweeters. The sound improved dramatically. Wider frequency range, clear treble and deeper base. Not the teenager car shaking base but nice, tight and controlled. It sounds closer to my home stereo with good relaxing sound. I have written a DIY here in this forum somewhere.

Last edited:
... I have written a DIY here in this forum somewhere.

I found the post where you mention doing the upgrade:

participated heavily in this discussion:

and this one:

I didnt see anything in the resources:

still havent found the DIY thread / post.

New mids and tweeters for dash helped mine, but I'm not sure exactly what speakers yours has.
Mine are factory speakers but I plan to change to German Maestro AS/AC6511 or CS/CC6508 (I think they are not officially available in the US)

For starters, I'm big into music. I'm willing to go to great lengths to get terrific sound, way more than most other people. Ripping out the entire interior to apply sound deadening is a no-brainer for me.

Now that that's our of the way, I've yet to hear a factory stereo, no matter the manufacturer, that doesn't sound like ass. (I've not heard the $20,0000 Bowers and Wilkins option that's in some Maserati's though, so my opinion on that setup is reserved!)

Even the otherwise "vaunted" Bose stereo upgrade that our Mazdas have sound like crap to me.

So yes, to me at least, even minor speaker upgrades make a huge difference in sound quality.

Here are the physical differences in drivers of even modest, and I really do mean modest, upgrades in both my CX-5 and my wife's Mazda5 from factory to aftermarket.
In your op, If you have limited budget around 1.5k usd for the upgrade, will you choose DSP+ cheaper speakers or just some higher quality speakers? (I'm not in the US so my range of selections will be different from yours. However, I'm deciding between Alpine R500 DSP+German Maestro AS/AC6511+local brand spare tire subwoofer OR German Maestro CS/CC6508+local brand spare tire subwoofer, which are at the same price)

German Maestro makes AMAZING speakers! Absolutely fantastic, great choice!

As far as what I would do, I'd forgo the sub for now, and concentrate on the better speakers plus a DSP. You can always add a sub later, as that's an easy upgrade.

Even if the better line of speakers plus DSP comes out above your budget, just drop down an notch on the DSP. MiniDSP and Dayton Audio both make a more affordable model than the Alpine, as does AudioControl. But like you said, not sure about the availability where you are, but it can't hurt to ask.

I sound deadened the doors and added Hertz 2-way speakers and disabled the stock tweeters. It sounds way better. The stock HU is really clean. I'll probably eventually install an amp and DSP as the mids are a little bit harsh from the TAU, and will replace the tweeters. I also added an underseat sub that makes everything sound full now.

The short answer is, yes! The Blose system in my '16.5, .... well, blose. Unbelievably, it sounds MUCH better than my '15.

First, a sound system that is "flat" is excellent, perfect. No note is exaggerated over the others or more than what was recorded. "Flat" is that unattainable Holy Grail.

I changed the dash twatters in my car and by setting the bass control to minus 6 and the treble to 0, I get a verified flat response curve, +/- 4 or 5 dB from 40 to about 15k. Remarkable. It is a pleasure to listen to it, relaxing, even. One of the threads in Infotainment includes the details.

I can't imagine the 2017, can't be easily improved as much.

I'm new here. I've got a 2018 Mazda CX5, 6 speed manual GX model (GX is the Candian trim, US has the Sport, I believe). I have only 4 speakers, all doors. I've looked in many forum pages here, so many useful tips and tricks. I bought a pair of 6.5" JBL GX628's for $150 off Amazon (included a 3/4" tweeter attached) to replace the OEM 4ohm speakers, which had... too much bass, which imo didn't help the music I played. I bought some Mazda speaker adapters from Crutchfield site, and some coaxial wire adapters for the speakers. I removed my door panels with the help of youtube, and having done similar to my old civic, and replaced both speakers in about 90 minutes. They do sound much better, but I'm a bass lover, through and through. On other pages, others say music quality and bass can really depend on what you listen to. I found that to be a very true statement. For now, no sub, but I'll be replacing my two rear door speakers with....inifinity or something else, maybe JBL again. The mids and highs on the jbl's are really clear and clean. I'll post photos of the stock speakers soon, and the new ones as well.

I have about zero knowledge or experience with amps and subs, other than I think I'll get a 'spare tire sub' from a CX5 GT off ebay, as I'm interested in not losing any trunk space. Would anyone have any recommendations for an amp, to power 4 speakers and a ... stock GT sub?

Thanks.
20220505_174640.jpg
JBL replacement. 6.5" bracket fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Completely depends on your budget. You can get something decent like Kenwood or Rockford Fosgate for $150, or you can get the Best of the Best of the Best Milbert for $5500.

Oh, and that $5500 Milbert? It's a 2 channel amp, 35 watts per channel. :cool: But there does not exist a more sonically pure car audio amplifier anywhere in the world than that baby. BaM-235ab if you're curious about it. It's my Holy Grail. Something that I'll never attain.

Last edited:
I had thought, maybe incorrectly, that adding new speakers gives a marginal improvement . What matters more is what drives those speakers. So if you have crap coming out of the head unit, you have crap coming out of the speakers. I have the Bose option, not particularly impressed.

I had thought, maybe incorrectly, that adding new speakers gives a marginal improvement . What matters more is what drives those speakers. So if you have crap coming out of the head unit, you have crap coming out of the speakers. I have the Bose option, not particularly impressed.

Agreed that the head unit can also be a factor. Years ago I upgraded the crappy stock head unit in an old Honda Accord while keeping the stock speakers. The head unit upgrade alone resulted in a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

Back in the day, the jump from tape to CD was an absolute revolution.

I mean, going from a cheap crappy factory tape deck to a quality tape deck like Alpine or Nakamichi was a big jump, but when CD's came out? Game changer.

Back in the day, the jump from tape to CD was an absolute revolution.

I mean, going from a cheap crappy factory tape deck to a quality tape deck like Alpine or Nakamichi was a big jump, but when CD's came out? Game changer.
yep, I remember it so well. First it was Dolby noise reduction for tapes, which made a notable difference, but to go to CD was like going from bw to color tvs. I had an alpine cd head unit, was amazing listening to Pink Floyd, yes and so many others…you just heard things you never were able to hear before.

I find it hard to believe that there are complaints about the Mazda CX-5 Bose system.
Although the 20 model seems a tad better than the 17. But again my imagination

I'm about to put some 6.5 speaker foam rings on the top perimeter of both my new JBL front door speakers. I read that this can help keep all the sound directed into the cabin and not get lost in the door panels. $25 off Amazon, I'll post how it sounds after.

Attachments

• 20220524_170543.jpg
    20220524_170543.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220524_172625.jpg
    20220524_172625.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 102
Does anyone know the specs on the 2018 CX5 Sport head unit? Or where to find them? Watts per channel? The 400pg mazda manual I have is no help at all, and neither were the dealership guys. As nice as they are when I bought my vehicle, they didn't know such info. The quality of the music from my Android Auto is fine, as is the FM radio. The JBL 628s I installed sound great, after a few weeks, they still sound really good. I have the bass turned up and the treble up +1 more than the bass. I still have to buy new spks for the rear. Hertz 6.5 maybe, or other JBL. Any suggestions? I'm looking for more boom. I'm also thinking of putting a JBL sparetire Sub in the trunk, costs a lot, but I do love my bass. Has anyone swapped out their headunit with something else and not lost any feature? That's all I have for now. Cheers!

Back