2017 CX-9 Transfer Case

Hey All,

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-9 signature. I have a leak coming from the output shaft seal on the transfer case. Dealer is telling me that the transfer case needs replaced and they do not sell seals for the case? No fluid is coming from the vent. No vibrations or noises yet when driving. Having a hard time swallowing the $2900 bill when I can clearly see the seal. Suggestions?

tmp_eeed0085-7fb7-44f3-814a-da704919990f.png

If PTU does indeed need to be replaced it seems like a pretty straight forward job, seems to be an easier task than the older cx9s. Not seeing how it's $1300 in labor. Anyone have any experience with this?

Hey All,

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-9 signature. I have a leak coming from the output shaft seal on the transfer case. Dealer is telling me that the transfer case needs replaced and they do not sell seals for the case? No fluid is coming from the vent. No vibrations or noises yet when driving. Having a hard time swallowing the $2900 bill when I can clearly see the seal. Suggestions?

View attachment 307717
Dealer is full of it. Part number is KA0127165 differential pinion seal, #12 in the pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-194201_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220223-194201_Chrome.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 212
After reviewing that site, I think it's actually #16. It's on the drive axel side, passenger. Do I have to split the case apart to replace that seal from the inside?

Last edited:
You should not have to split the case apart. Once that shaft is out you can pry out the old seal and put the new one in with the aid of a low impact plastic hammer. It looks like the same kind of seal used on output shafts of the old-school rear wheel drive transmissions and they were very easy to change once the drive-shaft was removed.

Back