2017+ CX-5 OEM cabin air filter?

:
2017 CX-5
Apologies if I missed something previously posted, but I'm looking for an OEM (or better) cabin air filter for my 2017 CX-5. A couple of the online vendors are showing KD45-61-J6X-9U as the replacement, but I want to make sure this is not a value line part. From what I saw, apparently even the OEM replacement part is not charcoal activated, like the factory installed version?

Apologies if I missed something previously posted, but I'm looking for an OEM (or better) cabin air filter for my 2017 CX-5. A couple of the online vendors are showing KD45-61-J6X-9U as the replacement, but I want to make sure this is not a value line part. From what I saw, apparently even the OEM replacement part is not charcoal activated, like the factory installed version?
Here are more detailed information on OEM cabin filters for gen-1 CX-5 and they’re the same as gen-2’s:

Cabin Air Filter & Glove Box Removal

Mazda Cabin Filter Comparison

Went to Mazda dealer yesterday and took more pictures on 2016.5 CX-5's new charcoal cabin filter from factory, Mazda genuine non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X, and Mazda Value Products non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X-MV. From the comparison picture below we can see the picture you posted earlier is Value Products with white plastic frame instead of black. Value Products cabin filter is about $10 cheaper than Mazda Genuine Parts on list price.

attachment.php

View attachment 216193

71ZVm04N9wL._SL1400_.jpg

I replaced the factory cabin air filter with a Bosch HEPA filter. It reduces airflow a bit, but it works very well and offers very fine filtration. It is a heavier filter than the standard filter.

Last edited:
does the bosch seems genuine?
I have been looking it for some time. In Europe they get,lots more options while in US we get primarily only oem, wix, frams and some chinese ones at amazon.
The oem is good but its very basic in my opinion. And the original with the car, carbon oem is not sold anywhere.

What's the big deal about having activated carbon in your cabin air filter? I'm happy if mine just keeps the pollen out.

I replaced the factory cabin air filter with a Bosch HEPA filter. It reduces airflow a bit, but it works very well and offers very fine filtration. It is a heavier filter than the standard filter.

Just my .002 worth. Just like your home HVAC unit, the less stress you put on the blower motor the better. An HVAC pro known and trusted in my area says "buy the cheapest filters you can find, and replace them more often..." I would think HEPA or other similar filters in a vehicle might not make sense since as soon as you open the door the air exchange is almost immediate with the outside air, in your house the air exchange is far less.

Anyways plenty of options for plenty of price points. This post might be of help:

Just my .002 worth. Just like your home HVAC unit, the less stress you put on the blower motor the better. An HVAC pro known and trusted in my area says "buy the cheapest filters you can find, and replace them more often..." I would think HEPA or other similar filters in a vehicle might not make sense since as soon as you open the door the air exchange is almost immediate with the outside air, in your house the air exchange is far less.
Agreed!

And I consider cabin air filter is more for protecting the AC evaporator to get dirty too early. And it’s hard to clean it once the evaporator gets dirty.

Anyways plenty of options for plenty of price points. This post might be of help:

As far as air pollution, the air outside is typically much cleaner than indoor air or in vehicle air, because pollutants build up in a sealed space. Especially in a new car. I always open the windows a few seconds for some fresh air when starting a drive. I like the HEPA filter because it lasts a long time, and is still working great after 4 months. The performance of a carbon filter is great initially, and rapidly degrades. I believe there is sufficient airflow not to overtax the blower motor.

HEPA makes sense anytime and everywhere to filter PM2.5s. Especially in big cities.
Put it at home, put it in the car, put it in the vacuum.

Its your health but everyone is free to use what they wish.

p.s.
Carbon filters do help with VOCs but yes the carbon fills up pretty fast and usually no longer effective after few months have to be changed.

I have a small bag of activated carbon to absorb gaseous smells in my cabin.

I just buy cheapo white filters 5-6 at a time. Change then every oil change.

Back