2017 CX-5 Blown Rear Diff

rj_make

:
CX5
Hello,
I noticed (while performing oil change) a drip from the left side CV axle at the rear diff output. It's coming from the rear diff seal. BUT when I grab the CV joint at the diff. there is play (Radial (up and down)) in BOTH the right and left axles (only the left is leaking)

Of course all this at 3.5 months and 176 mil out of the power-train warranty.

Question: (Sorry for so many)
1) Should there be radial play (not in and out (did not check that))? Doesn't seem right to me (could be the reason for the seal leak)
2) Is this a common problem?
3) What could have caused this?
4) How likely is Mazda going to cover this under the slightly out of power-train warranty?
5) Depending on how Mazda treats me, and considering this could end up being a very expensive repair, how hard is this to replace DIY?

The replacement looks pretty straight forward with the exception of the viscous coupler (is it a simple swap with no special tools?) and if programming is needed?

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
I wish I could answer some of your questions but I'd be guessing if I tried. I've attached a pdf on differential service from a collection that I downloaded titled "Mazda CX-5 2016-2021". I scanned through it quickly but did not find any specs. on allowable play between the axle and the differential.

Attachments

• DIFFERENTIALS.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 220
I wish I could answer some of your questions but I'd be guessing if I tried. I've attached a pdf on differential service from a collection that I downloaded titled "Mazda CX-5 2016-2021". I scanned through it quickly but did not find any specs. on allowable play between the axle and the differential.
Thank you for the information, would you happen to have the "COUPLING COMPONENT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION" section?

EDIT: I found the document but don't see #3 table?

Last edited:
Dropped it off at the dealer today, and they confirmed the entire rear diff assm. needs to be replaced. They will let me know if Mazda is going to cover it with it being 3 months past the 5 year.

Just heard back, they are NOT going to cover it. So there goes my first and last Mazda product. Does anyone know a good place to purchase a rear diff assm from?

Bummer. My rear dif went out just before the car went out of warranty on a 2017 GS. This happened in December of '21, and I live 4 hours across the mountains from a dealer. It took a week to find anyone that would haul it over there at that time of year, but it got done and Mazda paid for everything. Difference being it was still on warranty. My dealer said that Mazda was aware of a "bad batch" of rear differentials and replaced it with no problem. When I asked why there hadn't been a TSB, I was told it was because there hadn't been enough failures yet. Seemed contradictory to me. Who knows. Dealers say all kinds of things. The replacement came with a 1 year warranty that has just expired. I hope it lasts. Sorry for your trouble and hope you can find a used one.

Just heard back, they are NOT going to cover it. So there goes my first and last Mazda product. Does anyone know a good place to purchase a rear diff assm from?
I don’t blame you. I just had my transmission replaced under warranty at 7.3k miles(22’ PFD). I have a 10/100k Mazda warranty that I got for $1350.

After it runs out, my next vehicle will be a Toyota. Between resale value and reliability, I unfortunately regret my purchase. (My fault)

That’s unfortunate. You can try to get a used rear differential from a reputable national salvage yard such as LKQ.com or Car-Part.com. One member Chris_Top_Her here had replace the rear differential on his 2014 CX-5 before. I remember he’d to get a differential with the same MY or version. Some programming was also required. Do a search under Chris_Top_Her and the rear differential for more info.

Last edited:
My wife test drove a 2023 Crosstrek Limited today, she LOVES it. It doesn't have some of the cabin comforts (HUD, Rear Heated Seats, etc) but man does it have a lot more "pep"., Also the vehicle' skin isn't beer can thin. Don't really like the fact it has a CVT, but...

She wasn't impressed with the RAV4, but the HRV was "OK"..

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Looks like a junk yard diff assm is going to cost me ~1,500.00 + fluid and programming.. My Labor... :-(

I don’t blame you. I just had my transmission replaced under warranty at 7.3k miles(22’ PFD). I have a 10/100k Mazda warranty that I got for $1350.

After it runs out, my next vehicle will be a Toyota. Between resale value and reliability, I unfortunately regret my purchase. (My fault)
I read through your thread, I was sorely disappointed for you. I still can't believe it. With the engine problems that some people seem to be having it's just crazy...

We were looking at the Corolla Cross, until I discovered Mazda Toyota Manufacturing (MTM) was producing them.

I really hope your car turns out to be trouble free for you guys, and this was just a freak fluke!

My wife test drove a 2023 Crosstrek Limited today, she LOVES it. It doesn't have some of the cabin comforts (HUD, Rear Heated Seats, etc) but man does it have a lot more "pep"., Also the vehicle' skin isn't beer can thin. Don't really like the fact it has a CVT, but...

She wasn't impressed with the RAV4, but the HRV was "OK"..

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Looks like a junk yard diff assm is going to cost me ~1,500.00 + fluid and programming.. My Labor... :-(
What the hell junkyard you looking at? If it's LKQ, they seem to be way overpriced. Call your independent junkyards. CX-5 used differentials are running about $350 across the country. I would not pay $1500 for a used one. You could rebuild the one you have with new parts for $1500. Unless they are selling you a rebuilt diff for $1500?

Last edited:
What the hell junkyard you looking at? If it's LKQ, they seem to be way overpriced. Call your independent junkyards. CX-5 used differentials are running about $350 across the country. I would not pay $1500 for a used one. You could rebuild the one you have with new parts for $1500. Unless they are selling you a rebuilt diff for $1500?
I thought so too, but I've checked almost every yard in my area, (MD) ~100 mile radius and most don't even have any and the ones that do are anywhere from 1K to 1,500. The 1500 gives the best warranty and lowest miles. They had 2, one 28k and the other 18k.

Is there a shortage on MAZDA rear diffs?

I thought so too, but I've checked almost every yard in my area, (MD) ~100 mile radius and most don't even have any and the ones that do are anywhere from 1K to 1,500. The 1500 gives the best warranty and lowest miles. They had 2, one 28k and the other 18k.

Is there a shortage on MAZDA rear diffs?
Yea Mazda sells less cars than Toyota, Ford ,etc. so less Mazdas in Junkyard so pricing is more.

Yeah my bad, Mazda CX-5 diffs running between $500 and $1500. Even some on ebay for $500.

Yeah if your paying $1500 maybe get the 18 k one or see who in your area rebuilds them and maybe get yours rebuilt for cheap. That is if you have an extra car you can use while they rebuild. The parts shortage doesnt help matters either .

Last edited:
Just in case you consider to DIY it, then this video can be helpful:
Thank you. I did see that, but I can't tell if the 2017 model has the same notch inside the knuckle to allow the CV boot clamp to pass through.

You need to look at "SALVAGE YARDS" AND NOT JUNK yards.
Around here salvage yards and junkyard are synonymous. Sorta like janitor and sanitation custodian. Guess it depends on what part of country you're in. Here, Autos go to junkyards/salvage yards.
Any junk goes to the dump/landfill, even got special sections for refrigerators at the landfill. Some junkyards even changed their name to salvage yard to be more politically correct.

Back