2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

Google uses 100s perhaps 1000s of machines for voice recognition, plus it saves your personal voice profile. On Android, your voice sample is sent to Google servers and back with results.
A single, under-powered machine with a small amount of storage can't do miracles.

It can when it routes the work through the phone and just displays the audio and video on the cars screen. Exactly how its done in every Android auto car already. So its definitely possible in the cx5.

You can now get the chrome vents changed to black under warranty.

Hi Anchorman

Do you just moan to the dealer about the distracting reflections? It just seems too good to be true(uhm) Any TSB to quote?

Although I now seem to have got used to it and sort of "look through" the reflection.

Jonno21

Last edited:
Hi Anchorman

Do you just moan to the dealer about the distrcting reflections? It just seems too good to be true(uhm) Any TSB to quote?

Although I now seem to have got used to it and sort of "look through" the reflection.

Jonno21

Yeah, I don't want mine changing. I think the interior trim is classy.

You don't have one on your gauge cluster? Mine has it on the right hand side.

I think he meant an actual needle pointer engine temp gauge, not outside temp gauge,

engine temp gauge is just now either just a blue light (not warmed up yet ) or red light (overheating)

I think he meant an actual needle pointer engine temp gauge, not outside temp gauge,

engine temp gauge is just now either just a blue light (not warmed up yet ) or red light (overheating)

^ this - maybe it's just somewhat of a security blanket but I like being able to monitor the engine temperature via a traditional gauge, i'd rather be noticing an issue before red lights start flashing

Don't like the lack of a switched accessory port. Makes wiring up a dashcam a bit of a project.

Odd they removed it, as our 2013 Touring has one.

I am in love with my CX-5. The only minor complaints I have are:

1. I wish the steering wheel came out a bit more. With my current seating position, I find that it's maybe an inch or two further than I would find ideal. I'm 5' 8" and actually sit pretty close and high up but unfortunately the steering wheel's just a tad bit far and my arms are a little more outstretched than I'd like.

2. I like putting my left elbow on top of the door/windowsill (?) area when I'm driving with my left hand and wish that part was more padded. It's not quite hard plastic but it's definitely not soft or padded.

3. I find having tall cups in the cupholders makes it a bit inconvenient to use the main commander control dial thingy.

Mazda CX-5 Akera Diesel AWD. Purchased 7/16.

Don't see references to the "Akera" in this forum - it's the top of the model range here in the MY15 and later. Sits above the GT plus tech/safety pack. Got all factory options available as standard.

Two things bug me:

1. Infotainment system is slooooow to start up, worse sometimes than others. Not uncommon to start the car, allow it to warm up and idle down, back out of the garage and drive 500m down the road before it's working fully. And that's not including syncing with the iPhone and downloading contacts. Dealer says "yes it's a bit slow, hey!" No help at all.

2. When the engine is cold, and you first drive off, the gear change from 3rd to 4th flares most times, by flares I mean it's like it partially misses the gear change and revs up anywhere between 500-1000rpm and then changes gear.

Mentioned it twice to my dealer who say they've checked software and diagnostics and no fault codes showing up. Only does it the first time it gets to that 3-4 gear change, next time it gets to that change its fine. But stop the car for a couple of hours and then start and drive off, and it will often do the same thing again. Very annoying, it simply shouldn't happen.

I had a 2013 CX5 GT diesel before this car and had no such issues. The infotainment system changed substantially here between models - the old one ran TomTom GPS, the new one is Garmin.

Last edited:
I have a UK 2.2 diesel and previously a volvo S40 2.0 diesel. The volvo, struggling under low revs, would just take it until it stalled and you always had time to change down. The 2.2 mazda diesel is not nearly so tolerant and, when you realise the low/struggling revs, have to shift so quickly under threat of stall.

I guess I just need to pay attention more, but there's no forgiveness for slouchy changing.

We've only had our CX-5 for a couple of weeks or so...

I'm really enjoying our new Mazda so far but in comparing it with the 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagan TDI that I just sold back to VW under the DieselGate emissions scandal I'm finding some the 'amenities' lacking.

Mainly it's small things like indicator lights. The Mazda doesn't even have an indicator to let you know if the fog lights are on. Or the indicator lights to let you know if the doors are locked or not.

I think that VW was more thoughtful with small things such as this. For instance, if you have the windshield wipers on in the VW and you put the car in reverse, the rear window wiper comes on automatically. Or if you've used the rear window washer it gives you a couple of delayed wipes after you shut the wiper off, just to catch the dribbles.

There are more examples but I'm sure you catch my drift. All those small things add up.

Back