2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

Going to my first destination it tried to send me down two roads that I knew took me nowhere but to dead ends. The second time I used it the nav screen turned black and I could not get the Nav screen to come back.

Yeah, double that. My wife mentioned that navigation blacked out on her once. And it always struggles to lock up on satellites. They got to update firmware.

I don't like having to wait 6-8 weeks to receive it! (rant)

As far as my 2014 (RIP), my only complaint was the placement of the clock. I see they have fixed that in the 2016 by placing it in the monitor.

I think that the most correct and simple way of describing the problem is that you are looking out your side mirror and the glare of the metal frame is impeding your view-making it difficult to see what is coming up on your vehicle. It's not distracting in a way that you are looking one way and it is trying to get you to look another. It is interfering with your view out the side mirror- even more so on overcast days. If it doesn't bother you- great. If it does- let your dealer know.

Once I noticed it, I can't un-notice it. Seems especially bad in the mornings for me.

Anyone had any luck getting a dealer to replace the chrome trim with the older versions, or know if the '15 or earlier version of that trim piece can be ordered? Would it fit?

Climate control mode buttons - There are two of them with arrows that seem to imply they work in conjunction with the dual zones. No matter which one I push whether in single or dual zone control they each change the zone for both driver and passenger. Would have been nice to be able to control both zones separately as the arrows seem to imply.

Yeah... those mode buttons are weird. I still have a hard time figuring them out. My car also likes to continually switch back to "fresh air" mode from recirculate for seemingly no reason.

Once I noticed it, I can't un-notice it. Seems especially bad in the mornings for me.

Anyone had any luck getting a dealer to replace the chrome trim with the older versions, or know if the '15 or earlier version of that trim piece can be ordered? Would it fit?

Have you tried talking to the dealer? If that does not work, go to Mazda. The 15's fit.

A couple things off the top of my head that I don't like now that I've put in about 1,300 miles or so on my 2016 CX-5 GT w/ tech & iActivesense:

1) For those with adaptive headlights, the AFS OFF button was moved to be a feature buried in the infotainment system. I don't really care whether there is a dedicated button for it or if it is buried in the infotainment system (since I don't press those buttons much anyways), but it seems silly that all of the other on/off buttons (such as for the lane departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, etc.) are on the left-side of the dash, and this one is not (though it used to be, and was apparently moved for 2016 for some reason). It seems to me they should have either moved ALL of the buttons to the infotainment system and used the empty space on the left-side of the dash for something else, or they should have just left the button there. Perhaps this is a pre-cursor to a future design change for 2017?

2) A bit more/better lighting in the interior would be nice. I'm thinking make the interior bulbs and license plate bulbs LEDs as a standard, add LED lighting to the cup holders, and offer optional LED lighting for the foot-wells.

3) No foot-activated power lift-gate. No trunk release on the key fob, either.

2016 Mazda CX-5 interior is still absolutely outstanding, though. The best I've seen in its class.

My biggest issue is that the armrest is uncomfortable for the driver and non existent for the front passenger.
Other minor issues are:
- one touch operation of sunroof would be great
- operation of power window after ignition is off but doors have not been opened only works for the drivers window
- compartment below the drivers vent is useless. Should have been a swing down door which would be useful for coins
- no light in the glove compartment

Ok. I know I'm in a big minority with this but I don't like the front grille. Looks very "Chrysler" to me.

Just some minor nits.

Lack of a 12V socket in the cubbyhole under the climate control, at least on my GT w/ nav. Looking at the manual, it shows one "on some models" in the place where the SD card for the nav system is.

Lack of a button around the commander knob to access the phone. I'd rather have a phone button than the favorites button.

Having the start/stop button directly behind and close to the wiper control arm

Having a carpeted dead pedal that isn't covered by the floor mat.

Right? How hard would it have been to put at least a plastic plate over the dead pedal? Did Mazda think that because of the higher seating position that people wouldn't put there foot on the dead pedal area and instead rest it flat on the floor mat? I'm contemplating getting a pedal cover set, either OEM ($$$) or the ebay ones. I really wish they had a matching dead pedal for the no drill pedal covers on ebay. They do, but only ones that say Mazdaspeed, and the CX-5 is not a Speed car at all.

I also wish that the 40-20-40 seats could fold independently of each other. The passenger side 40 folds, the center 20 folds but the driver side 40 does not. That section only goes down with the center section. So really it's a 60/20/40 rear folding seat.

I also wish that the 40-20-40 seats could fold independently of each other. The passenger side 40 folds, the center 20 folds but the driver side 40 does not. That section only goes down with the center section. So really it's a 60/20/40 rear folding seat.

The way Mazda did it actually makes the most sense. The center seat has to be anchored to another seat, and it makes the most sense to anchor it to driver side seat. Otherwise you have to anchor it to both the driver and passenger side seats and add the necessary hardware to be able to disengage each one independently which for the most part is unnecessary, or you would have a permanent bar where the cargo cover goes for the center seat to anchor to. Is there a hatch that currently offers what you suggest? I'm actually interested to see how they'd do it.

Just got my car Monday. I'm not blown away by the Bose sound system. It distorts when you start cranking the volume.

Noone who knows anything about audio has ever said much good about Bose sound systems, to be honest. Not that I've heard, anyway. All of the cars I've had with Bose systems sounded like crap, to me, and I'm not into audio at all really. I wonder why Mazda went with Bose?

Noone who knows anything about audio has ever said much good about Bose sound systems, to be honest. Not that I've heard, anyway. All of the cars I've had with Bose systems sounded like crap, to me, and I'm not into audio at all really. I wonder why Mazda went with Bose?
Bose makes good speakers. The name is pretty popular in the US and the entire world. In fact, I prefer Mazda uses Bose audio system in their cars than Honda and Toyota's who use no names. But the actual sound effect in CX-5 is indeed disappointing! I think one of the problems is CX-5 has older Bose Centerpoint surround sound system but Mazda6 has newer Bose Centerpoint 2 surround sound system with 2 more speakers. Mazda really needs to put two twitters at front door/A pillar/rearview mirror intersection areas facing to the driver/front passenger's ears to get better high frequency response as high frequency wave is more directional. And add a sub-woofer to help the bass sound too!

Right? How hard would it have been to put at least a plastic plate over the dead pedal? Did Mazda think that because of the higher seating position that people wouldn't put there foot on the dead pedal area and instead rest it flat on the floor mat? I'm contemplating getting a pedal cover set, either OEM ($$$) or the ebay ones. I really wish they had a matching dead pedal for the no drill pedal covers on ebay. They do, but only ones that say Mazdaspeed, and the CX-5 is not a Speed car at all.
On the other day at my dealer's showroom I noticed the Mazda6 does have a plastic plate over the dead pedal. I was trying to order that piece but been told it comes with the whole carpet. Never mind!

I also don't like the OEM alloy plate as it is screwed on. Hopefully we eventually can find something to cover the dead pedal without drilling and screwing.

The Bose system in my 2015 sounds slightly better than the non-Bose system in my 2010 Mazda 3 GT. It's no audiophile sound system, that's for certain. But I can live with it. Driving isn't serious listening time for me, but others may see it differently and they wouldn't be wrong. True, though, that Bose is very popular, and also true that it doesn't generally stand up to real audiophile equipment. And I think that's why Mazda installs it. It's the most recognizable name in above average sound quality for mass market OEM vehicle sound systems.

Back