2016 Grand Touring LED upgrade

I'm not seeing how to access the rear turn signal bulbs to replace with LED's. All vehicles I have done this to previously provided access to the rear signal through the trunk or cargo bay by removing a panel of some sort. I see no such panel inside the cargo bay area on my '17 CX-9 GT. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not seeing how to access the rear turn signal bulbs to replace with LED's. All vehicles I have done this to previously provided access to the rear signal through the trunk or cargo bay by removing a panel of some sort. I see no such panel inside the cargo bay area on my '17 CX-9 GT. Any help would be appreciated.
You need to remove the entire tail light

Thanks ... got it done. Crazy ... I've never had a car where I've had to remove a taillight to change a bulb.

I hate to bump an old thread, but this somewhat relevant and not important enough for its own thread.

The manual says that the rear turn signals are WY21W and has 7443NA in parenthesis; however, 7443s are dual-filament bulbs. I was curious as to why the manual would call for a dual-filament bulb for a turn signal so I opened it up to check it out. The factory bulb is a single-filament bulb. I tried replacing it with an incandescent 7443 that I pulled out of my old car, but it wouldn't fit because there are two extra tabs on the bottom of the bulb that prevent it from seating completely. This isn't an issue with LED replacements because they don't have tabs, but I thought it was kind of interesting. Probably just an error in the manual.

Also, the inside of the bulb socket appears to have three contacts (one more than is needed for a single-filament bulb, but one less than is needed for a dual-filament bulb).

Another question: Does anyone know if the Signature headlights and tail lights can be swapped into the lower trims? Does anyone have a picture of the back of the Signature light assemblies for comparison?

I preordered the VLEDS Triton V6 and should ship next week. Supposed to be a pretty good package and takes up less space than the V3s.

Not sure if this thread to ask, but I've got a 2018 cx9 touring and I'd like to change all my interior lights to LED lights. Does anyone have links to bulbs and/or instructional videos?

Not sure if this thread to ask, but I've got a 2018 cx9 touring and I'd like to change all my interior lights to LED lights. Does anyone have links to bulbs and/or instructional videos?

Hey bud, I just posted a DIY for the cargo light bulb replacement (and reverse light bulb replacement, if you're interested). Here you go.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ion-CX-9-Cargo-light-bulb-replacement-upgrade

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...6-CX-9-Reverse-light-bulb-replacement-upgrade

Still waiting for the rear turn signal replacement how-to guide..

Turn signals are on the way, should be here this week. When they come, I'll try to do a How-To similar to the ones I posted.

Turn signals are on the way, should be here this week. When they come, I'll try to do a How-To similar to the ones I posted.

Looking forward to it, last upgrade I need to do in order for me to achieve full LED (inside and out).

Looking forward to it, last upgrade I need to do in order for me to achieve full LED (inside and out).

Have you bought the bulbs already? If so, let me know which ones you bought and whether or not you'll need resistors. The ones I bought won't need resistors, but if you tell me which ones you have and send me a few pics of the bulbs and resistors, I can include that as an additional part of the guide.

I've previously installed LED turn signal bulbs and resistors on a previous car (08 Lexus IS250), so it shouldn't be too difficult for me to do. You can PM me the pictures of the bulbs and resistors if you want.

Have you bought the bulbs already? If so, let me know which ones you bought and whether or not you'll need resistors. The ones I bought won't need resistors, but if you tell me which ones you have and send me a few pics of the bulbs and resistors, I can include that as an additional part of the guide.

I've previously installed LED turn signal bulbs and resistors on a previous car (08 Lexus IS250), so it shouldn't be too difficult for me to do. You can PM me the pictures of the bulbs and resistors if you want.

Bought these and they are very bright! Do not need a resistor either, just plug in and go.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-Flash-7440-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs-p/20-095.htm

@sm1ke I have not bought them yet. I anxiously await your write-up and choice of bulbs

Bulbs came in yesterday actually. Install took all of 30 mins, even with taking pictures for the write-up. Keep an eye on the How-To section, I should have something up before the end of the day.

EDIT: Guide is up. Link in my signature

Last edited:
Back