2016 CX-9 Right Rear Squeak

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
42,000 miles. There's a squeak coming from the right rear. Has anyone else had this problem yet? What was your fix?

I plan on jacking the right rear suspension up to remove that tire, put the suspension, on the floor jack, back to its normal position as it would sit with the tire on, then have my wife sit on the open liftgate area and bounce the car up & down while I squirt some light lube into each moving part. I'll have a jack stand under the chassis just in case the jack slips. I should know when I hit the squeaker. The light lube (WD-40, etc) won't fix it, but it should temporarily quiet the squeak so I can identify what needs fixing. There are several bushings in the area, or it might be a bolt starting to loosen. Any other idea?

Solution
I think I found it. The snow wheels were bolted on tight, but likely on top of a bit of rust. That rust may have broken down enough to allow very slight movement. The lugs were still tight, though. The bushings look good, everything looks good. I wire brushed the hub, put a smear of anti-seize around the boss, put the wheel on, torqued the lugs in two stages, and the test drive was silent.

Anti-seize on the lug studs can be a problem. Basically, don't do it. What is really needed for a good tightening job is achieving the needed the clamping force of the wheel against the hub. We can't measure that. The twisting force we use on the tight lug nuts is something we can easily measure, but...the friction of the threads and of the...
I think I found it. The snow wheels were bolted on tight, but likely on top of a bit of rust. That rust may have broken down enough to allow very slight movement. The lugs were still tight, though. The bushings look good, everything looks good. I wire brushed the hub, put a smear of anti-seize around the boss, put the wheel on, torqued the lugs in two stages, and the test drive was silent.

Anti-seize on the lug studs can be a problem. Basically, don't do it. What is really needed for a good tightening job is achieving the needed the clamping force of the wheel against the hub. We can't measure that. The twisting force we use on the tight lug nuts is something we can easily measure, but...the friction of the threads and of the shoulder of the nut against the wheel is part of the calculation of the recommended twisting force--the torque spec. This recommended torque calculation considers the thread diameter, the thread pitch (number of threads per inch or millimeters per thread), the surface finish on the threads, and any lubrication. Clean dry lug threads are what the calculation is based on. Lubricate with oil or anti-seize and the friction is reduced. The same torque can stretch the stud out of spec, or break it, without the expected friction reducing how much the stud is pulled by the tight nut.

Upvote 0
Solution
Back