2016 CX-9 Pricing

Paid 45800$ here in Canada (34,988$ US + taxes) ALL inclusive for GT Tech Package AWD 2017 CX9. Metalic Gray. It does come with heated steering wheel.(dance)

wow that's a pretty good deal for a 2017? I got a 2017 at MSRP and dealer wouldn't give any deal/discount as it is a new model year and would only offer a discount on the 2016.

Paid 45800$ here in Canada (34,988$ US...
With the Canadian dollar at .76 of the US dollar, I'd be making every large purchase I could in Canada. I wonder if they'd let me bring a modular home across the border. :)

Congratulations on your currency market timing!

... and would only offer a discount on the 2016.
What kind of deals are being offered on the 2016's? Frankly, I had a hard time making sense out of the numbers in this thread because many of the transactions involved trade-ins, spurious dealer prep fees, rebates, or incomplete information on which exact vehicle was purchased.

Kingbaida, what was the MSRP (in Canadian) for the vehicle you purchased?

What kind of deals are being offered on the 2016's? Frankly, I had a hard time making sense out of the numbers in this thread because many of the transactions involved trade-ins, spurious dealer prep fees, rebates, or incomplete information on which exact vehicle was purchased.

Kingbaida, what was the MSRP (in Canadian) for the vehicle you purchased?

CX9 Retail versus Invoice .png
There you go ( In CAD$)

There you go ( In CAD$)

Wow, that makes it even more confusing. It looks like we have almost exactly the same car (congratulations on your correct choice) but the numbers are all over the board.

Your retail price is $6,200 over ours (mine in USD, yours in CAD) and your invoice price is $4,800 higher than ours. Your deal was just a smidge over invoice and mine was about 4% below invoice, yet you still got your car for 12% less (USD) than what I paid!

It obviously pays to be in Canada. Next thing, you're probably going to tell me that you also have pretty girls and free health care.

Good one Koert ! But yep....actually We do have pretty girls and free health care...But we do pay more taxes...It's all the same at the end:)

Good one Koert ! But yep....actually We do have pretty girls and free health care...But we do pay more taxes...It's all the same at the end:)
I don't know. I was fortunate enough to visit Montreal once and can attest to the fact that the grass is pretty green on that side of the fence.

But, with my French last name, I was checking out of a hotel in Quebec City and was told by the front desk clerk not to come back until I learned the language!

With our current political turmoil, if you see another gray CX-9 driving around Montreal, it's probably me getting out of the US for a few years, waiting for things to blow over. And I still have forgotten more French than I ever learned in school. :)

That's bulls***... Had the same experience when I bought my Outback.
Referring to not being able to get a discount on the current model year, with the dealer only discounting the previous year's cars?

I agree. Dealers will say whatever they expect you to fall for.

When I was buying my CX-9, I had a deal all firmed up (I thought) and the salesman called me up at the eleventh hour (the car was being delivered) and said, "Hey dude, we have a good relationship and I just want to be perfectly straight with you, since you're being so honest with me. I'd never want to try to hide anything from you and our policy is to keep the buyer fully informed." I asked him what was up, and he said, "Everything's fine with the deal, and the car is just about to be delivered, but we had one very minor hiccup in the paperwork and the price has changed."

I love California ( I go every second month) ! But I need to agree , there's nothing to envy with your current political turmoil... Enough said...
As for the comment made by the hotel Clerk... what a shame. Quebec city is great to visit....You'll be back :)(cheers)
I don't know. I was fortunate enough to visit Montreal once and can attest to the fact that the grass is pretty green on that side of the fence.

But, with my French last name, I was checking out of a hotel in Quebec City and was told by the front desk clerk not to come back until I learned the language!

With our current political turmoil, if you see another gray CX-9 driving around Montreal, it's probably me getting out of the US for a few years, waiting for things to blow over. And I still have forgotten more French than I ever learned in school. :)

This all depends on the buyer whether Sig trim is worth the extra money...to me I went with the Sig trim as I wanted the brown nappa leather and the few extra features...are they worth it? Again that depends on the buyer...with regard to the auto braking and LDW/LKA these systems are non intrusive in my experience. So far the SCBS hasn't activated on me yet in my 1-month of driving and these safety aids weren't deal breakers to me. You can actually turn them off if you find them annoying. Yes, that makes sense that you'll get a better deal on the '16s once the 17's arrive which accdg to some posts they should be expected starting later this month.

Yes I checked out a Sig trim and it has a very nice interior. Congrats! Good to know '17 will be here soon so that I can make the decision on the trim.

Just bought 3 days ago, new 2016 CX-9 GT AWD Soul Red Metallic, no extras, with 5 miles on odometer in Denver, Colorado. $39,471 total cash price. Price includes a $599 dealer deliver and handling fee and include $500 cash off for 0% APR 60 month financing. That is price just going through Costco Auto Program dealer. No hassle, no haggling. Total OTD price $41,602. Appears to be fair deal, ~$1400 below invoice.

... $39,471 total cash price. ... That is price just going through Costco Auto Program dealer. No hassle, no haggling. ...
Good work! With the exact same invoice price as mine, that's within a few hundred bucks of what I ended up paying and I spent the better part of a week haggling with dealers.

I looked at a Pilot at first and in this case the Costco deal wasn't so great. They had mud flaps and some other accessories that added about $1,800 to the sticker price and the Costco discount was almost exactly that amount. So in that case, the Costco deal only would have given me a couple of accessories that I didn't want, for free. (And I think a subscription-based alarm system was one of the accessories!)

Good work! With the exact same invoice price as mine, that's within a few hundred bucks of what I ended up paying and I spent the better part of a week haggling with dealers.

I looked at a Pilot at first and in this case the Costco deal wasn't so great. They had mud flaps and some other accessories that added about $1,800 to the sticker price and the Costco discount was almost exactly that amount. So in that case, the Costco deal only would have given me a couple of accessories that I didn't want, for free. (And I think a subscription-based alarm system was one of the accessories!)

I had a similar experience as you a few years ago on a Toyota FJ through Costco. It appears some dealers with more popular makes like Toyota and Honda don't have to offer as good deals through the Costco Auto Program. I'm waiting for my Costco survey of my purchase so I can get a 50% off coupon for some Mazda accessories at the dealer, like cross bars, all weather mats and wheel locks. Purchasing through these auto programs now a days sure beats the ordeal buying a car used to be.

How do you go through Costco program? Does the dealer set that up or do I call Costco? I see that you can get 50% off on accessories if you buy through Costco program.

How do you go through Costco program? Does the dealer set that up or do I call Costco? I see that you can get 50% off on accessories if you buy through Costco program.

Costco has partner dealers; you can check with Costco. But you are probably better off to just use TrueCar--Costco isn't any better than that. I was a Costco member when I got my CX-9; I got a better price, by far, than the Costco member-dealer price.

TrueCar is a farce organized by the car dealerships. Do some research on who's really behind the TrueCar program.

TrueCar is a farce organized by the car dealerships. Do some research on who's really behind the TrueCar program.

I've heard this, but I used it and haven't seen anyone here that's saved more than a few hundred bucks over what I paid (plenty paid more). And I spent a grand total of about an hour or maybe two at most buying the car. It seems about half of that was spent declining extended warranties and various protective coatings. In the end I feel like I won compared to days and days driving and calling around to maybe squeeze an extra 1% off the price (or not).

Of course, as always, don't blindly trust anything and use your head, but I definitely had a good experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard this, but I used it and haven't seen anyone here that's saved more than a few hundred bucks over what I paid (plenty paid more). And I spent a grand total of about an hour or maybe two at most buying the car. It seems about half of that was spent declining extended warranties and various protective coatings. In the end I feel like I won compared to days and days driving and calling around to maybe squeeze an extra 1% off the price (or not).

Of course, as always, don't blindly trust anything and use your head, but I definitely had a good experience with it.

Actually looking back there was at least one crazy deal by someone that really worked at it (for a month). So anyway I'm in a time-is-money zone these days so I'm still happy, but if you've got copious amounts of time to spend or haggling is your hobby then you might prefer the old school approach.

...I'm in a time-is-money zone these days ...
Easiest way to buy a car is to stick to a plan and don't get caught up with individual salespeople. I really liked our local dealership and wanted to give them first crack at my business, but doing that cost me a bunch of extra effort and they still never gave me a firm price to compare.

If time is of the essence, figure out exactly which car/model/options you want and then send the same email to every dealer within 100 miles. Tell them that you're planning on buying a car next Saturday and will go to the dealer that gives you the best out-the-door price commitment. I bought my wife's Audi that way and, after she figured out what she wanted, it took a total of thirty minutes to email price requests and another thirty minutes in the sales manager's office to complete the paperwork.

After dicking around with our local Mazda dealership for a couple of weeks, I finally got hold of my senses and went back to the original plan. All the work up until the end was essentially wasted time.

My CX-9 had a retail price of $43,170

True Car average $42,065 Exceptional Price $40,610 Great Price $41,890 Good Price $42,803
Best TrueCar price quote was $40,455 after rebates (one of them it turned out I didn't qualify for), still not sure what other "fees" were not included.

Kelley Blue Book Fair Purchase Price $40,332 to $41,683, suggested $40,995

First phone call I made quoted $40,413 before rebates, out the door.
Ended up buying for $39,101 with no haggling, no upselling at the dealer. Doing this deal took way less than an hour email and phone, and about 20 minutes at the dealer to sign papers.

After talking to friends who have used Costco, I've come to the conclusion that sometimes they're good and sometimes not even close to good. They're just another quote to throw in the pile.

Back