2016+ CX-9 Front Inner Tie Rod Adjustment Tool?

MLC LS1

:
2017 Mazda CX-9
Does anyone know if theres a special tie rod adjustment tool for these cars? I recently took my car to get aligned at a "reputable" shop I've been using for a while, and essentially got ripped off and got a poor alignment. The steering wheel is off center and the whole car just doesn't feel right. I tried to make an adjustment the other day and the inner tie rod is too big for a 12mm wrench and too small for a 13mm wrench, US wrenches don't fit at all either obviously. Can anyone recommend an adjustment tool? Should I buy one of them sickle hook looking tie rod adjustment tools? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Did they give you a printout of the post-alignment specs? Are they refusing to bring the car back in to do it right? I guess you're past that point now anyways.

I think the shop should make it right.. you paid for a service that you didn't get. If you paid for the service using a credit card, I would consider contacting the credit card company to issue a stop payment for that transaction.

Is this the nut to adjust?

Would an adjustable crescent wrench be too big to work with? If it is, I would maybe look into renting a tie rod adjustment tool from an auto store like Napa, PartSource or Canadian Tire.

Did they give you a printout of the post-alignment specs? Are they refusing to bring the car back in to do it right? I guess you're past that point now anyways.

I think the shop should make it right.. you paid for a service that you didn't get. If you paid for the service using a credit card, I would consider contacting the credit card company to issue a stop payment for that transaction.

Is this the nut to adjust?

Would an adjustable crescent wrench be too big to work with? If it is, I would maybe look into renting a tie rod adjustment tool from an auto store like Napa, PartSource or Canadian Tire.
Thanks. I'll take a look at tie rod adjustment tools and adjustable crescent wrenches. Right now I'm too busy with a new job to be arguing with a shop that should have performed a proper service. The printout showed everything within spec, but clearly it can't be trusted so I'm going to make adjustments myself, full well knowing I have no machine to track each metric but I just don't care anymore. I'll do it by feel and monitor tire wear, pulling, vibrations etc.

Thanks. I'll take a look at tie rod adjustment tools and adjustable crescent wrenches. Right now I'm too busy with a new job to be arguing with a shop that should have performed a proper service. The printout showed everything within spec, but clearly it can't be trusted so I'm going to make adjustments myself, full well knowing I have no machine to track each metric but I just don't care anymore. I'll do it by feel and monitor tire wear, pulling, vibrations etc.

Congrats on the new job, in any event!

I'm actually surprised a 1/2" (12.7mm) wrench doesn't fit just right if the 12mm is too small and 13mm is too large.

I've used a cresent wrench and resorted to a pipe wrench at one time.
Vice grips work as well.

If you turn each side equal amounts, you should still be pretty darn close to maintaining correct toe....assuming toe is currently correct besides the offset steering wheel. Obviously it won't be perfect, but should be good enough to limit excessive/uneven tire wear.

Back