2016 CX-9 dash protection?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Calling all 2016 owners.. have you guys felt the need to apply any sort of protectant to the dash to shield it from the sun or from wear? I'm just asking because one of the reported issues with my old car (2008 Lexus IS250) was a "melting" dash due to sun exposure in warmer climates. I bought a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant to use on my IS' dash, but sold the car before I could apply it.

With my 2018 Signature, I really want to take good care of it, but I don't know if the 303 is good for the Chroma Brown part of the dash and doors. Are those parts nappa leather as well?

Also, on that note, what is everyone using to clean or treat the nappa leather seats? I came across this on a bimmerfest post:

(d) Nappa Leather (A-Aniline // Non-Coated ) for leather used in autos, Nappa is a term that is used to denote a high quality leather, it's a very soft, absorbent full grain (uncoated) and usually tanned with alum and chromium salts and dyed throughout, water drops will darken its colour (temporarily)."

Since the nappa leather used in the CX-9 is uncoated, what would be the best product to use to clean, condition, and protect the seats?

The Lexus dash was a rarity. There is a recall on the entire dash and door panels. We are still waiting for our replacement on our 06 IS350. If you are worried the best thing would be a uv film on the inside of the windshield to cut down on the heat. I just had this done when I had the front windows tinted.

Calling all 2016 owners.. have you guys felt the need to apply any sort of protectant to the dash to shield it from the sun or from wear? I'm just asking because one of the reported issues with my old car (2008 Lexus IS250) was a "melting" dash due to sun exposure in warmer climates. I bought a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant to use on my IS' dash, but sold the car before I could apply it.

With my 2018 Signature, I really want to take good care of it, but I don't know if the 303 is good for the Chroma Brown part of the dash and doors. Are those parts nappa leather as well?

Also, on that note, what is everyone using to clean or treat the nappa leather seats? I came across this on a bimmerfest post:

Since the nappa leather used in the CX-9 is uncoated, what would be the best product to use to clean, condition, and protect the seats?

I was thinking about this very same thing. I too own a bottle of 303 but I'm not sure if that's proper to use on the Sig's materials.

The black colored part of the dash seems to have a unique "softer" skin. I'm going to do a little research before applying anything.

$50 covercraft custom fitted sunshade is your solution

That is probably the easiest solution, but I'd like to stay away from covering something up to protect it. That's like putting a seat cover on the nappa leather to protect it. It will work, but it means that I won't be able to enjoy it. Kind of like protecting it for the next buyer instead of enjoying it for myself.

Either way, I applied 303 Aerospace Protectant to the black parts of the dash and all of the hard vinyl (seat bottoms, vinyl trim on the hatch, etc.). I didn't apply it to any of the auburn trim on the dash or door, the seats, and the steering wheel and shift knob. I think I should be using something specific to leather for those areas. What are you guys using, if anything?

Here's a pic of the dash in the middle of applying the 303:

**edit: I'll add the picture later, it seems that I can't attach a photo when I'm on my phone, even when using the desktop site.

Sorry I personally don't see how the sunshade will keep you from enjoying your car like a seat cover. When my car is parked, I just put the shade on to shield the heat and uv from getting into my interior. Doesn't matter what sealant you put, the uv will eventually discolor your interior if you don't physically shield your dash

Sorry I personally don't see how the sunshade will keep you from enjoying your car like a seat cover. When my car is parked, I just put the shade on to shield the heat and uv from getting into my interior. Doesn't matter what sealant you put, the uv will eventually discolor your interior if you don't physically shield your dash

I think I might have misunderstood you, haha. You're talking about a sunshade, and I thought you were talking about one of those mats you can buy that lays over the dash. The sunshade is a good idea for sure.

Here's a photo of the dash in the middle of applying a coat of 303:

attachment.php

IMG_20180107_115637.jpg

You can see the spot where the 303 has been applied on the top half of the dash beside the grille on the left, and the untreated side on the right. I just sprayed some 303 on a microfiber cloth, then rubbed it on gently. No sticky/greasy residue left over.

Here's a photo of the dash in the middle of applying a coat of 303:

attachment.php

View attachment 218144

You can see the spot where the 303 has been applied on the top half of the dash beside the grille on the left, and the untreated side on the right. I just sprayed some 303 on a microfiber cloth, then rubbed it on gently. No sticky/greasy residue left over.

I used 303 on both the black and auburn parts of the dash. I used a microfiber cloth; both areas have never looked better.

I used 303 on both the black and auburn parts of the dash. I used a microfiber cloth; both areas have never looked better.

Thanks for the feedback Fruitwolf, the areas I did still look great and have no dust build up so far, compared to my Civic's untreated dash which usually has a layer of dust after a week or two.

We live in Arizona and haven't had an issue with our '16 but we have noticed the light grey window visors have this weird discoloration. The ribs of the internal plastic are burnt into the vinyl all around it.
1c9249d9173ca4760d369bff0455a575.jpg

The 303 web page says that it's good for finished leather. Whatever that means. I'd try a small bit of it on some of the Signature leather that is out of sight...somewhere that isn't readily visible unless you know where to look for it. See how it works out. Let us know.

303 is the best product I've found for all the purposes listed on the label. The UV blockers are very good. It's too slick for floor mats or pedals. I use it on the vinyl parts of my GT seats, dash, doors, and the weather seal strip.

The 303 web page says that it's good for finished leather. Whatever that means. I'd try a small bit of it on some of the Signature leather that is out of sight...somewhere that isn't readily visible unless you know where to look for it. See how it works out. Let us know.

303 is the best product I've found for all the purposes listed on the label. The UV blockers are very good. It's too slick for floor mats or pedals. I use it on the vinyl parts of my GT seats, dash, doors, and the weather seal strip.

Just thought I'd follow up that 303 works great on practically everything in the interior, including the napa leather and the rosewood trim on the Signature trim. I clean the loose dust with a swiffer refill, use a microfiber and some water to gently lift any stains from the seats, then follow up with a treatment of 303 for protection. Two years later and aside from the piano black trim and a couple of nicks in the rosewood trim, the interior looks brand new.

Personally, I've only been able to find it online, but I've heard that some marine/boat shops carry it. I'm in Canada, and I have ordered through autogeek.net from the US (pick up at the border) or eshine.ca (shipped to my doorstep). I just ordered a 32oz bottle from eshine last week and plan to do the interior today or tomorrow.

Back