2016 CX-9 Crossbars Install

Anyone else install the crossbars for the 2016 CX 9 GT?

I just did, it was a PITA. The bolts were inaccessible even with a u-joint socket as recommended by the instructions. I ended up unbolting the side rails so I can tighten the crossbars, then reinstalling the side rails. Unfortunately the bolts they used for the rails were soft AF and I ended up stripping 2 and had to drill one out. Also the tension from the crossbars made it hard to properly align the side rails.

Anyone else had the same experience?

so after sleeping on it, I decided to do a quick inspection of what I did last night. I have a feeling the rails are not correctly aligned because of the tenstion from the crossbars.

can someone do me a favor please and take a close up picture of the where the rail meets the roof? is it totally flush or can you partially see under the rails like the raised part where the bolts go?

I'm contemplating unbolting and reinstalling everything. I will need new bolts for the rails though since they strip easy.

This is what I meant when I said I might not have been able to position my rails correctly. As you guys can see from the images below, there's a slight gap between the rail and the car's roof. Can any one confirm for me if this is normal or not? Thanks

xEAnKGS.jpg

1ttPPc2.jpg

SlHy25r.jpg

Though it's kinda hard to see in these pics, I checked it closely and there is no gap like yours.

30956658553_c313710540_c.jpg

31650238661_753497dfb6_c.jpg

I plan to install my cross bars this weekend.

No gap like yours. I thought it was pretty simple when I installed mine. Took no more than. 15 minutes

Mine was a relative easy install as well. I did have it backwards at 1st. FR & RR is on the passenger side. I as well did not have the tool in the instructions but the hex tool that came with the cross bars worked fine. Just had to do it slow

Mine was a relative easy install as well. I did have it backwards at 1st. FR & RR is on the passenger side. I as well did not have the tool in the instructions but the hex tool that came with the cross bars worked fine. Just had to do it slow

fba6b15f100db45c993345e1c803509e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damn I guess that's what I get for following the instructions to the 'T' without consulting the internet first (yes)

I will take it apart and redo. thanks for the help guys

How is the wind noise with the factory bars ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't driven with just the factory crossbars installed since I put on the Yakima FatCat snowboard mount the same day I mounted the factory crossbars. That said, with what I have now, the wind noise is significantly noticeable. As a reference, without the crossbars I would describe the wind noise as minimal.

I don't hear the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chosen12b, would you mind measuring the distance between the crossbars (center to center)? I have a Thule cargo and want to see if it fits the crossbars.

Thanks

I think the dealer installed mine backwards I am getting a ton of wind nose with just the bars. Can someone tell me if on the rack if it's thicker or thinner facing the front of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sorry for digging up an old thread, but is it safe to go through a touchless automatic car wash with these installed?

I had the dealer put my OEM bars on and I did not get the tool to remove them which I want to do now while they are not in use. Is it a Torx 25 bit? It's very hard to get anything in there to even see if the fit is right. Is the tool they come with have some special angle to facilitate being able to turn the bolts more than a quarter turn if that? I'm no mechanic but this seems like a royal PITA to deal with. Might just leave them on but I think it looks better off and then there's the MPG thing.

Back