2016 CX-5 walk away lock feature

mazdan00b

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD with Bose/Moonroof and Tech
Has anyone else had issues with the walk away lock? It locks sometimes, and other times it doesn't....I've noticed that if I get out of the car and walk away quickly, it won't lock.

It has happened to me but a couple of the times I found a door or hatch that was not completely closed or my wife left here key in car. Other times it is a mystery...

Similar issue with the 2014 also I think we have to close the door hard enough to trigger some kind of sensor so it arms.

You have to pause after closing the door and wait for the first beep. That let's you know the car is ready to lock. Then you can walk away and you'll hear a second beep, indicating that the car is locked. If you walk out of range before the first beep, the car won't lock.

You have to pause after closing the door and wait for the first beep. That let's you know the car is ready to lock. Then you can walk away and you'll hear a second beep, indicating that the car is locked. If you walk out of range before the first beep, the car won't lock.

Thanks I think this is what's happening. I'll slow down.

If you don't hear the beep then a door isn't closed, however you can open the boot after its auto locked close it and still hear no beep, but it you look at the dash any boot open will show the image.

I have also found that if the car is unlocked remotely with the fob then the car will not auto lock.
And although I've set my car up for a 90 second delay it closes much quicker than that, and can be a real pain, way round it I've found is to leave a door ajar until any loading etc is finished.
I find it a great system personally and have had keyless since 2009.

You also have to be the last one to close your door or at least to walk away from the car when you are not alone.
With kids, it can get tricky because they can take a long time, or not close their doors completely.

Basically its the reverse procedure of unlocking with the exception of pressing the handle button, the system has to have the key in proximity when the door closes to activate the walk away lock when you leave the proximity sensor

Just train yourself to hit the button on the door when exiting the car if you don't need to get anything from the rear seat area. If you need to get something from the hatch, you still can as it will open with everything locked and re-lock itself when closed. Too much stress for me wondering if the car is locked or not walking away!

Just train yourself to hit the button on the door when exiting the car if you don't need to get anything from the rear seat area. If you need to get something from the hatch, you still can as it will open with everything locked and re-lock itself when closed. Too much stress for me wondering if the car is locked or not walking away!

This is what I do now.

The walk-away-lock feature has failed enough times for me that I don't trust the system anymore.

This is what I do now.

The walk-away-lock feature has failed enough times for me that I don't trust the system anymore.

Seems to me if one has to wait a period of time for the vehicle to prepare for auto lock it is the same amount of time to KNOW it is locked by pressing a button. I'm pressing the button.

I've had the same problem. I love the convenience but not the reliability. I guess I'll start pressing the button, as I'm sure I'll forget to stop and wait every time.

Hey, thank you very much for that tip. I wondered why mine wasn't auto-locking and I started using the key fob. I'll slow down before walking away.

Seems to me if one has to wait a period of time for the vehicle to prepare for auto lock it is the same amount of time to KNOW it is locked by pressing a button. I'm pressing the button.

But, when both hands are full, it is nice to utilize the auto-lock feature. It's just a matter of knowing how it works and its confirmation tones to feel confident. Most of the time when my hands aren't full, I just hit the lock button on the door immediately after pulling on the inner door handle.

I never use the door switch to lock the car only to unlock it.

The delay on my car is often two quick to lock, even though the settings are set up for a 90 second delay its no where near 90 seconds.
I find the feature extremely useful as on previous cars I could and did often forget to lock the car.

Yep. I love the fact that there are so many options for locking the car. You can do what ever works best in your situation.
*Auto Lock
*Key
*Key Fob
*Door Handle Button (exterior)
*Lock switch (interior)

Take your pick. :D

Yep. I love the fact that there are so many options for locking the car. You can do what ever works best in your situation.
*Auto Lock
*Key
*Key Fob
*Door Handle Button (exterior)
*Lock switch (interior)

Take your pick. :D

Don't forget the the request button on the rear hatch. :)

Has anyone else had issues with the walk away lock? It locks sometimes, and other times it doesn't....I've noticed that if I get out of the car and walk away quickly, it won't lock.
This is why its not called run away lock

Mine too.

I never use the door switch to lock the car only to unlock it.

The delay on my car is often two quick to lock, even though the settings are set up for a 90 second delay its no where near 90 seconds.
I find the feature extremely useful as on previous cars I could and did often forget to lock the car.

This. I've found that the car is too quick to lock most of the time, but that sometimes, randomly, it won't lock at all. Notably, mine frequently locks on me before I have time to walk around to the passenger side to get items out of the back seat. Might have to play with the settings.

Is it possible to unlock the car from the inside without the key? My wife complains I keep locking her in the car if I step away for a minute to get something / do an errand. (boom04)

Back