2016 CX-5 Spark Plugs without a new Intake Gasket?

I am approaching 75,000 and will get an oil change and running lights recall accomplished at the dealership tomorrow. I told them I wanted to follow the maintenance schedule and get new spark plugs. They said I should get a new Plenum Intake Gasket as well.

I googled that and got a variety of answers. Yet the answer I like the best is that if the technician works carefully, the current gasket can be removed and then put back without a new one.

The labor for the job of installing a new one seems so costly. I'd rather just pay for the oil change and the spark plugs.

Thoughts on this topic?

Changing the plugs takes 20 minutes TOPS and is a super simple task. Yeah, the plugs are expensive (like $20 each OEM, $10 each for NGK), but they are SUPER simple to change. All you need is a 10mm socket and a thin wall spark plug socket.

The intake plenum has exactly dick squat to do with changing the plugs. Don't let them soak you on the cost here or blow smoke up your ass about the intake needing to be removed. If they say that, they're lying to you, and you need to run as fast as you can out of there.

The only time the intake has to be pulled to change plugs is if you have a car with a V6 where the plugs are under the plenum. Your 4 cylinder CX5 isn't like this. The plugs are right at the top of the motor, in plain sight, extremely easy to get to.

I just changed my 2016 CX-5 GT a month ago, that mechanic is lying too you. Run far away as possible from him. This is why I hate using mechanics most of them are very dishonest. The job is super easy.15-20 mins top, the easiest spark plug change you gonna encounter on a modern vehicle.

I just changed my 2016 CX-5 GT a month ago, that mechanic is lying too you. Run far away as possible from him. This is why I hate using mechanics most of them are very dishonest. The job is super easy.15-20 mins top, the easiest spark plug change you gonna encounter on a modern vehicle.
They did not lie to me. I just received an email that changing the Intake Gasket is recommended. I will ignore that recomendation thanks to the answers I received on this thread.

They did not lie to me. I just received an email that changing the Intake Gasket is recommended. I will ignore that recomendation thanks to the answers I received on this thread.
Even that they’re still lying to you. Changing intake manifold gaskets can never be a recommended or part of recommended maintenance item!

Changing the plugs takes 20 minutes TOPS and is a super simple task. Yeah, the plugs are expensive (like $20 each OEM, $10 each for NGK), but they are SUPER simple to change. All you need is a 10mm socket and a thin wall spark plug socket.

The intake plenum has exactly dick squat to do with changing the plugs. Don't let them soak you on the cost here or blow smoke up your ass about the intake needing to be removed. If they say that, they're lying to you, and you need to run as fast as you can out of there.
Add more info:
All you need is a 10mm socket and a 14mm thin-wall spark plug socket.

Take your time, clean and inspect as you remove plugs. Should take an hour or so, if you do a good careful job. Ed

Back