2016 CX-5 Brake Caliper Problems

Currently under lock down here, so decided it would be a good time to change the brake pads on my CX5-2.2D with electronic park brake.

I only found out I had to put it into maintenance mode after I had removed the caliper. It seems that I messed it up and actually activated the parking brake with the caliper out, instead of releasing it. The piston has now been pushed out, to the extent that it seems that it has disconnected from the motor, in fact it may have dislodged the seal as a small amount of brake fluid has leaked out. I have tried releasing the brake but the motor just turns till eventually the EPB failure light comes on and the EPB light flashes.

Would appreciate any ideas on how I fix this?

Electrically disconnect the EPB motor on the caliper. Remove the EPB motor from the caliper with the 2 (5mm?) hex bolts either side. You then have access to the shaft that is driven by the EPB motor.
Now the difficult part: Figure out which way you have to turn the shaft to pull the piston back in. I think clockwise as you look at the back of the caliper. And, apply some pressure on the piston and simultaneously turn the shaft to bring the piston back into the caliper.
Hopefully the square o-ring that seals the caliper piston is still in its slot and will allow you to just move the piston into the caliper. Good luck!

Currently under lock down here, so decided it would be a good time to change the brake pads on my CX5-2.2D with electronic park brake.

I only found out I had to put it into maintenance mode after I had removed the caliper. It seems that I messed it up and actually activated the parking brake with the caliper out, instead of releasing it. The piston has now been pushed out, to the extent that it seems that it has disconnected from the motor, in fact it may have dislodged the seal as a small amount of brake fluid has leaked out. I have tried releasing the brake but the motor just turns till eventually the EPB failure light comes on and the EPB light flashes.

Would appreciate any ideas on how I fix this?
Try davmac suggested first. But honestly Mazda has issues on rear brake calipers for EPB dragging on 2016 CX-5. You should check the date code on calipers and replace the calipers with revised ones accordingly:

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

^good point. Replacing the caliper will get you back on the road and from a DIY repair perspective an easy repair. I’m guessing you were not planning on spending that much. Either way I’ll be interested to know how you fix this.

One of the dumbest things engineers did was replace a practically fail proof cable with motors and an electronic button and a computer.

I wondered why? seems to be a little extra room around the console.

I guess it's all part of the evolution. They have the Hill Holder and other electronic braking functions, all part of the driving experience now.

What is the practically fail proof cable operated parking brake you speak of? I'm not sure the motor operated parking brake is worth the trade off - but don't think the cable version is a gold standard of perfection. Cable operated parking brakes suck if you live in the rust-belt or own a manual transmission car. They worked poorly or locked up often. If you kept a car more than 3 years then you or someone you paid needed to adjust or replace parking brake cables.

Back