2016.5 Nav ?: Enter place name vs. address?

MEB

:
16.5 GT w/Tech AWD
Is there really no option to enter a place name on this Nav system? Example: Bud's Burger, Tyler Park, Etc.. I rarely know a St Address or "Home" #. POI / Nearby/Search doesn't seem to work for this either - but I'm still green. Manual wasn't much help. Seems bassackwards to me; if you're looking for directions to a known place - stands to reason you don't know the addy. Harrumph!

Last edited:
My Jeep and my 370Z both had look-up features where you could type "Restaurant" and it would list them all with Zagat survey data within "X" many miles of your current location, or you could type partial proper names, etc. That sort of interface is standard nowdays. have you read the manual?

Assuming the '16.5 Nav is the same as the '16, try this:

From the Main Nav screen.
- New Destination
--- Points of Interest
-----Filter by Name (Bud's or whatever)
-----Filter by Category (Restaurants, Liquor Stores, etc.)
-----Search Area (Near Here, Along Route (if you have a route set), Near Destination (if you have one set) or In a City)

If any of these are "grayed out" it's probably because because you are moving and it wants you stopped.

Smart stuff.

brillo54 has the right idea. Its a good way to use this type of system.

...but honestly, these in car nav systems can't compare to the ease and simplicity of google maps and the like. Its decent, but simply isn't as intuitive or easy to use.

I tested the nav alongside google maps and it does a really good job, but it takes minutes to dial in vs your smartphone which takes seconds.

Nice as a backup, but I still use the phone for my go to nav needs.

Hopefully Mazda will give us an update with android auto/apple carplay sooner than later.

brillo54 has the right idea. Its a good way to use this type of system.

...but honestly, these in car nav systems can't compare to the ease and simplicity of google maps and the like. Its decent, but simply isn't as intuitive or easy to use.

I tested the nav alongside google maps and it does a really good job, but it takes minutes to dial in vs your smartphone which takes seconds.

Nice as a backup, but I still use the phone for my go to nav needs.

Hopefully Mazda will give us an update with android auto/apple carplay sooner than later.

+1 I have yet to use a car nav that was anywhere near as fast as our smartphones. I've resigned myself to saving a few different locations that may interest me as favorites prior to a trip, makes it a little easier. The system is def nicer than my friends in his 13' CRV.

Back