2016.5 CX-5 brake / rotor job...Help

:
CX5 Touring
:
Planning to do a brake/rotor job. Hopefully someone can give me a little guidance as I came up short in my searches. Hopefully this will be a helpful guide for future DIYers with a 2016.5 CX5.

1) Is 2016.5 still considered a gen 1?
2) Are these the right part #s?
  1. Rear Pads: KAY0-26-48ZA
  2. Rear Rotor: K011-26-251C
  3. Front Pads: K0Y1-33-28ZB
  4. Front Rotor: KD45-33-251
3) Do I need the front brake "Brake pad retainer kit" (K0Y1-33-29Z ) and rear brake "Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip Set" (KBY6-26-49Z) ? Do I need to replace these or can I reuse my original ones (this is my first brake job on this car)?

TIA

You need instructions for disabling the electric parking brake.
You probably don't need discs, unless there is a severe edge worn into the outer diameter of the disc, you can reuse them. There is some debate on turning discs, It they show pronounced wear, or uneven thickness, I'll turn them.

You need instructions for disabling the electric parking brake.
You probably don't need discs, unless there is a severe edge worn into the outer diameter of the disc, you can reuse them. There is some debate on turning discs, It they show pronounced wear, or uneven thickness, I'll turn them.
Did you have to buy shims for the brake pads or did you reuse the old ones?

The Mazda OEM pads I bought did NOT come with the stainless steel pad guides (shims?). They were about $15 added to an already pricey set of pads. The Raybestos Element 3 pads ( better pad in my opinion and a lot cheaper) came with the pad guides.

Maybe my memory is faulty but it seems a long time since I have used pads that came with (or used) shims. We are talking about thin steel plates that clip on the pads. Correct?

Maybe my memory is faulty but it seems a long time since I have used pads that came with (or used) shims. We are talking about thin steel plates that clip on the pads. Correct?

Yes, and I'd post a pic, but the Miata racing pads I have don't have shims.

Yes, and I'd post a pic, but the Miata racing pads I have don't have shims.
No need for pics. I've used them in the past. Just haven't seen any in a while. Also remember the 'blue goo' anti-squeal applied to the shims. Haven't used that stuff in ages and haven't experienced any brake squeal either. Times musta changed when I wasn't paying attention.

Last time put NAPA adaptive ones on my Fords a few years ago they came with all the xtra hardware(shims, bluegoo, etc.).
Very good ceramics brake pads.
Very low dust as well. Noticed the mazda OEM work very well with the CX but are very dusty. An assuming the mazda OEM are a mixture of organic and ceramic. Not sure I like the dust. May go back to NAPA ceramic or maybe the EBC redstuff(ceramic).
It appears the EBC greenstuff is also dusty, i.e. partial/more organic.

Last time put NAPA adaptive ones on my Fords a few years ago they came with all the xtra hardware(shims, bluegoo, etc.).
Very good ceramics brake pads.
Very low dust as well. Noticed the mazda OEM work very well with the CX but are very dusty. An assuming the mazda OEM are a mixture of organic and ceramic. Not sure I like the dust. May go back to NAPA ceramic or maybe the EBC redstuff(ceramic).
It appears the EBC greenstuff is also dusty, i.e. partial/more organic.
Mazda must have changed the ceramic formulation because after I bought it I was impressed how little dust they generated. But mine is a 2014.

Tere is some debate on turning discs, It they show pronounced wear, or uneven thickness, I'll turn them.
Nah, there's no debate at all. Mazdas own service guide says to turn them so long as they're in spec.

My local O'Reillys turns rotors for only $10 each. Complete steal.

Even new rotors out of the box should be placed on the rotor lathe and checked. You would be surprised how many NIB rotors are not trued.
If you don't want to go to the extra expense, then buy a cheap dial indicator set at amazon or Harbor freight. I guarantee if you are a DIY you will use it more than once.

Even new rotors out of the box should be placed on the rotor lathe and checked. You would be surprised how many NIB rotors are not trued.
If you don't want to go to the extra expense, then buy a cheap dial indicator set at amazon or Harbor freight. I guarantee if you are a DIY you will use it more than once.
Funny, I bought one before doing my brakes last time and forgot I had it until now.

Back