2016.5 CX-5 Bluetooth Audio Codecs - Android 8.0

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Hey all,

Google released Android 8.0 in beta and I think some full releases for their newer phones and it now comes with developer options to change the Bluetooth Audio Settings:

My phone is the Google Nexus 6P by Huawei.

Bluetooth AVRCP Version
Default is AVRCP 1.4

1)AVRCP 1.5
2)AVRCP 1.6

Bluetooth Audio Codec
The default selection is "Use System Selection", and you can change to set the following instead:
1) SBC
2) AAC
3) aptX
4) aptX HD
5) LDAC

Audio Sample Rate
The default selection is "Use System Selection", and you can change to set the following instead:
1) 44.1 kHz
2) 48.0 kHz
3) 88.2 kHz
4) 96.0 kHz

Audio Codec Bits Per Sample
1) 16 bits /sample
2) 24 bits /sample
3) 32 bits /sample

Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec Playback Quality
The default selection is "Best Effort (Adaptive Bitrate)", and you can change:
1) Optimize for Audio Quality (990kbps/909 kbps)
2) Balanced Audio and Connection Quality (660kbps/606kbps)
3) Optimize for Connection (330kbps/303kbps)

My question is, has anyone poked around with these new settings yet and does anyone know what Bluetooth Audio Codecs and samples rates the CX-5 supports? I get a very faint hiss and sometimes white noise in the background of Bluetooth music steaming in my CX-5, even with the volume all the way up on the phone's Bluetooth volume, so I was hoping some enhanced settings would be able to fine-tune streaming as best as possible. If you want to try it out, here's how to enable dev options on any Android phone:
http://www.androidauthority.com/enable-developer-options-569223/

I'm going to try either tonight or tomorrow, post your results if you have time, thanks!

EDIT: Tried it out tonight. I was unable to change the BT Audio Codec while connected to the CX-5, it kept reverting back to the default SBC codec, which is the lowest quality codec available across any device. I tried everything in between but it wouldn't use them, so I don't believe Mazda supports the higher quality codecs unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wonder, how about aftermarket companies, like Kenwood actually use those, or they stick to the lowest grade stuff?

Back